Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter?

Jun 25, 2018, 4:28 PM

Can anyone make a argument why he shouldn’t start? If so let’s hear it

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter?

Jun 25, 2018, 4:31 PM

Because he just came out of high school and has zero experience playing in a D1 live college game? Even if he’s the most talented player ever you can’t risk that if you have veteran players that have been in those live game situations. Just my take. I think he’s good enough to start now but we’ll have to see what they do.

Jun 25, 2018, 4:46 PM

You can risk it, production isn't directly related to live game experience from player to player. Example, say KB2 has a lower ceiling than TL and lets say TL is at about 70% of where he could be once he gains the experience needed it could be more efficient to still have him under his ceiling than KB2 at the top of his game. None of it makes any sense until you see them in game against the same defense in the same situation so we will never know but it's not like he's just a random coming out there to play for the first time.

Jun 25, 2018, 4:54 PM

Did you happen to watch our Spring game in when they both went against our defense, which many consider to be among the top three in the country?

Jun 25, 2018, 7:45 PM

Our split defenses in the spring game will be better than the majority of the opponents KB or TLaw will see all year until playoff time. Maybe Fla St. has the talent to be better than our split squads and A&M has some good players but no depth.

Doesn’t matter the playbook, who has which WR in the team, the Oline of spring game... the way TLaw went through his progressions and then the deep ball arm talent far exceeds where KB is right now. The only argument is you know how KB will react on the road against marginal talent. Only one way to find out how Trevor will... play him.

Last comment... Jake 5 months ago would be battling it out with Cooper for last on the depth chart. He is without question 4th on ours right now and of course it goes without saying HJ is a far better option. So confirmed Carolina thinks KB should be starter means TLaw is definitely the best option.

Jun 25, 2018, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

Spring game ? Really lol

dgcannon39... I found your mascot running loose

Jun 26, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

If he was still in high school its okay for him to start

Jun 25, 2018, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

right?

Re: If he was still in high school its okay for him to start

Jun 25, 2018, 4:56 PM

He's not still in HS. Did you happen to watch our Spring game?? My god!!

Well i guess that seals it. he's no jake bentley

Jun 25, 2018, 5:00 PM

TL is too mature to play QB in college

Jun 25, 2018, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

Bentley would be 4th string on our current roster. We had three QBs leave whould would also be ahead of him. Basically he would be 7th string on our team...

Jun 26, 2018, 12:59 PM

Weird. All your quarterbacks would be second string here behind Bentley.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jun 27, 2018, 10:53 PM

Funny guy aye?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2018, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

DW4 just came out of college, and once he was given his chance to start in the NFL, he started a march to breaking NFL records. TL broke DW4's HS records!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jake Fromm says hey

Jun 25, 2018, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

Remember him?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2018, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

I guess you didn't watch the Spring game.

Your pulse reminds me of something...

Jun 25, 2018, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

Oh yeah, 63-17 ############!

Jun 25, 2018, 4:36 PM

Can anyone say why Chase Brice couldn't start in Cootlumbia right now? And as soon as Coach Swinney calls and asks about TL starting over Bryant, I'll let y'all know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 10:08 PM

Can anyone say why Chase Brice couldn't start in Cootlumbia right now? Or even better how about with the Tigers.......Just wait he is a gamer.

Cause Dabo wants to make you angry?***

Jun 25, 2018, 4:50 PM

Jun 25, 2018, 4:52 PM

No, I can't make that argument. We all saw him (TL) in the spring game, and sadly also saw KB. Gee, why didn't all of KBs' "experience" propel him to a totally vindicating performance in that game? Instead of what was basically a poor performance on his part? He and TL were head to head and TL was a true freshman---and who won that matchup hands-down??? Huh?? No, let's hear it. Were we watching the same game? Kelly is a pretty good QB who can thrive with a great team behind him, until he runs into a defense like "Bama." Let them decide it in fall practice. However I already smell politics in this, in which case we could easily lose 2 to 3 games during the regular season.

Jun 25, 2018, 5:25 PM

We wouldn't lose 2-3 games this year even if we had Jake Bentley as QB... Defense is way too good.

Jun 25, 2018, 7:40 PM

That kind of pronouncement makes me nervous. N.C. State looked pretty strong against us last year.

Jun 25, 2018, 8:49 PM

NC State lost their entire D-Line and a lot of their starters.

Hows your QB doing for you lately?

Jun 26, 2018, 12:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

Oh thats right!

Jun 25, 2018, 5:30 PM

Because KB is 12-1 when playing the whole game. KB lost in the cfp while TL lost in Georgia high school playoffs. KB most likely knows the playbook much more/better. KB can make the throws he just needs to be more consistant and most players improve after having a year under their belt. Now there are many reasons while TL should start as well. He is one of the most talented QBs to ever come out of high school.

Yep!

Jun 25, 2018, 5:30 PM

He has to prove he has command of the play book on the field. That is why he will slowly work into the starting job. If Cole was our starter TL would take the helm during the second orthird game. KB won't be that easy to bench.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep!

Jun 25, 2018, 5:45 PM

You can't go by the spring game, no matter how much you want to. The teams were split. How would Bryant had done if he had Higgins catching the deep passes. How would the two QBs have done on the opposite teams? Will be happy whoever Dabo picks.

Jun 25, 2018, 9:29 PM

Unfotunately Renfrow was on his team. No excuse for passes 10 ft over his head, not even Higgins could pull that in.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2018, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Yep! ]

No body's looking to bench Bryant. I really like the guy as a gutsy and all out player. I'm just saying get out of the cub-scout league and play the best QB available. If that's KB, fine, and if it isn't play the best! Any player with a brain playing at this level surely realizes that completion is the order of the day. What about this doesn't anyone understand? Why is Clemson still mired in these type of HS debates??

Because it's downtime and anything goes.

Jun 25, 2018, 11:24 PM

Without a game or even practice it keep Tnet active and vibrant. Oh yeah, it's fun too. I'm not one to argue with a coach but I'm always willing to share my thought. I'm glad our coaching staff hasn't asked for my thought. Sometimes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

click...bait***

Jun 25, 2018, 6:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

our kickoff team would be too tired for the 2nd quarter***

Jun 25, 2018, 7:51 PM

Re: our kickoff team would be too tired for the 2nd quarter***

Jun 25, 2018, 8:00 PM

Haha this is the best reason I’ve heard from the QB debate from all 1000 posts about it. Job well done sir.

Jun 25, 2018, 8:05 PM

Hunter Johnson is gone because of TL. With the great team and opportunity that Clemson will have this year, I think the coaches will start TL for the first game. He will have plenty of experience for the playoffs and hopefully the national championship game.

I have no problem with TL.

Jun 25, 2018, 11:26 PM

In fact I'd love to see Dabo throw him in the fire. I think that we'll be better off toward the end of the season if TL starts every game and remains in until we have a 50 point lead. I take it easy on people in life but football is a game.

Jun 25, 2018, 8:48 PM

BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT THE COACH,AND HAVE NOT BROUGHT US FROM A GOOD TEAM TO A GREAT TEAM.I THINK HE WILL BECOME OUR STARTER ,BUT NOT ON THE FIRST SNAP,UNLESS THERE IS AN INJURY.

if the guys who get paid millions to make that decision

Jun 25, 2018, 8:53 PM

think he is not ready

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 25, 2018, 9:21 PM

Cause dabo says so

When did Dabo say so?***

Jun 25, 2018, 11:27 PM

Jameis Winston also says hi

Jun 25, 2018, 11:15 PM

When Winston started his first ever game for FSU he was a redshirt freshman and lead FSU to a 14-0 undefeated National Championship. He even gave our Tigers a good whooping. Up until that point, he had about the same experience in a live D1 football game as Trevor Lawrence.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Jun 26, 2018, 12:27 AM

So after 10 years under his leadership, you still aren’t convinced that Dabo is determined to win? In your mind, he and Streeter will play KB even if it’s obvious TL is the better quarterback? You are delusional, and have way too high opinion of yourself. They watch these young men play everyday. They are with them in position meetings. They watch film with them. You, on the other hand, saw the spring game. The two aren’t equivalent. Trust the system. It has served us pretty well thus far. Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2018, 1:04 AM

Dabo only speaks negatively about his guys when they screw the pooch (see Deon Cain suspension) or let their team down (see Andy Teasdall's fake punt).
The rest of the time he speaks positively in an effort to build and maintain their confidence.

Brandon Streeter and the other assistants do the same.

As fans, since we are removed from the vicinity of the team, we are more inclined to air our 'analysis' of someone's skills, faults and tendencies. DW4 knew it came with the job. The only way to silence doubters is by great play. They still criticized him for his INTs, even though his INTs never cost us a game.

I personally think our WRs make Kelly look far better than he is, and Streeter gave KB a shout out for a "great throw" against Auburn when Ray Ray actually made the play on a pass severely underthrown.

What the spring game revealed was not how inept he is in throwing into press coverage; instead, he demonstrated that he lacks so much confidence against it that he would rather scramble even when it cost him the down.

Did you observe that TL was the first to scramble, and he used it to pick up a first down. He didn't feel like he needed to prove anything throwing into tight coverage, and his 10-yard scramble before he was 'touched down' moved the chains. HJ ran in a TD after an option read. kB only ran on scrambles, and went for short yardage or a sack. Similar to decisions he made toward the end of the season.

Of course, like you, I hope that KB has a transformational summer and is still the worthy leader of this team. But if he is, it will be because he has identified his bad habits that hinder his team and fixed them. I'm not so naive as to find that very likely.

Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 PM

So his int in the redzone against Pitt didn't cost us the game? Not that it matters because we won it all anyways.

Jun 26, 2018, 12:34 AM

Experience....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: experience

Jun 26, 2018, 1:15 AM

When do you want him to get it?

Next year, when we have 7 new starters on defense, right? You want him to be on call all this season to bail out the guy who calls his own number constantly but refuses to leave the game when hurt, even though we have a great defense this year to get the QB's back.

You guys don't want TL or KB, either one. You want Homer Jordan. And why keep Dabo? Just call Danny Ford back to work. I'm sure nothing could go wrong with that plan!

Jun 26, 2018, 4:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Trevor Lawrence why shouldn’t he be the starter? ]

Bottom line is that unless KB can improve his passing skills real soon put TL in. We have too many downfield threats not to be able to use them. Everything is lined up (schedule, offense, defense &special teams) for us to make CFB & win Nattty. We can still use KB once we have a lead to run the clock out or on certain situations. After 3 years of DW's focused approach never really felt confident with KB's jovial way of being in the position. TL appears to have the same type of talent &focus as DW. KB just always seems to look like dropping back to pass is a struggle. His mechanics are not smooth and fluent. TL just seems to be a natural......but in the end........
in Dabo & staff I trust.

Re: QB VII

Jun 26, 2018, 12:18 PM

I wish I had more thumbs to give you props on that post.

Clelin Ferrell very subtly called out KB and the OL for not being prepared for the Bama game in the postgame interview. I think the skipping and 'twerking' (or whatever it's called) really irk the old man of the DL unless you perform up to standard.
I am sure that KB's overperformance in the ACCCG overinflated his confidence. It sure got the pressure off his back, because I never saw him be serious after that (since my view is dependent on the media, his flippant portrayal could have been their fault; but i doubt it).
This time last year KB was in QB camp working on his throwing motion. I don't expect him to improve more this year without extensive coaching.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic