Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
one thing to remember about college basketball...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1,939

one thing to remember about college basketball...

Nov 17, 2014, 9:49 PM

we're not UNC, Duke, etc... by any stretch... but a lot of good teams have lost early games to teams like Winthrop in the past. It's part of the game.

We did not play well the majority of the game, and BB was upset about it. But it happens.

This loss doesn't define who we are, just like a win would not have. There's a lot of non-conference left for us to make noise before the ACC starts.

Frustrating? Yes.

Defining? No

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Very true, and probably the proper perspective, BUT

Nov 17, 2014, 9:56 PM

poor perimeter shooting has defined us for the better part of our history, so I guess that why it stings so much. Would be nice to see us come out for a change with 2 or 3 guys that knock the bottom out from outside like Winthrop did tonight and like many teams do.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

believe it or not... I actually think this is going to be a

Nov 17, 2014, 9:57 PM

good offensive team. I think it's the best group of shooters we've had, collectively, in a while. How much time will it take? I don't know.

But I fully anticipate us to be a better basketball team than last year when it's all said and done.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Make free throws and cut those turnovers we will be

Nov 17, 2014, 9:58 PM

competitive all year against anybody. Still have a strong defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

agreed... give Winthrop credit... they made some tough shots

Nov 17, 2014, 9:59 PM

and we didn't defend very well tonight...

Why you let a good 3 point shooting team have so many

Nov 17, 2014, 10:00 PM

wide open looks was baffling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

yea... BB was pizzed all night... we definitely did not

Nov 17, 2014, 10:03 PM

bring our A defensive game...

I'd hate to be GW on Friday. We may not do a lot of things this next weekend, but we will play defense after that showing tonight.

Several of their 3s were four or five feet behind the arc.

Nov 18, 2014, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Why you let a good 3 point shooting team have so many ]

Ridiculous range

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But that was the difference - they made the open shots and

Nov 17, 2014, 10:08 PM [ in reply to agreed... give Winthrop credit... they made some tough shots ]

a lot of tough shots when they were defended. We had open shots too, and would miss; they come down and nail theirs. That kept us scrambling all night and eventually put pressure on us to catch up and caused some of the turnovers. If we match them from the perimeter, there is no way they keep up with us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree... I think we take 2 of 3 this weekend at a minumum

Nov 17, 2014, 10:08 PM

with a chance to win it

seriously

We could. We need to get to a point where we expect to beat

Nov 17, 2014, 10:12 PM

Winthrop, but in fairness, they are well coached and could beat a lot of teams if they let their guard down.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I agree... I think we take 2 of 3 this weekend at a minumum

Nov 17, 2014, 11:56 PM [ in reply to I agree... I think we take 2 of 3 this weekend at a minumum ]

are we in the Big XII yet?

Crump <3 $EC

We sure are supposed to have shooters. They weren't anywhere

Nov 17, 2014, 10:01 PM [ in reply to believe it or not... I actually think this is going to be a ]

to be found tonight though. Grantham was very impressive, and is the kind of talent we need to build around, but he can't do it by himself. Hopefully the young'uns will step up as the season progresses and be able to get the ball to go in the basket.

- H. L. Mencken

I like the way Ajukwa is playing***

Nov 17, 2014, 10:03 PM

Good post...

It is very early. The team was too tight. Maybe Gabe Devoe's nervousness is being passed to the other players. Brad will turn it out. Winthrop was just hitting some crazy long 3s...

I'm not sold on DeVoe... I hope BB sees his body language

Nov 17, 2014, 10:09 PM

on tape and addresses it

I hope he works out, but I was a little disappointed in his body language tonight

Re: I'm not sold on DeVoe... I hope BB sees his body language

Nov 17, 2014, 10:15 PM

something's up there. he's supposed to fill it up. he was a little sulky, but maybe this will be good for him

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Me too. I was impressed with the way he seemingly came out

Nov 17, 2014, 10:10 PM [ in reply to I like the way Ajukwa is playing*** ]

of nowhere last year to be a real offensive force late in the season. he plays with a lot of confidence and isn't afraid to let it rip.

- H. L. Mencken

he's gonna have to score for us...

Nov 17, 2014, 10:13 PM

I think we have a chance to shoot the ball well with him, Roper, Harrison, and Grantham on the wings...

I'm interested to see how BB adjusts our style as the year goes on

Re: I like the way Ajukwa is playing***

Nov 18, 2014, 12:06 AM [ in reply to I like the way Ajukwa is playing*** ]

I thought ajukwa played very well last year in limited time. He will be a big part in us having a successful season this year.

Re: one thing to remember about college basketball...

Nov 17, 2014, 10:05 PM

you can't make that many mistakes and hope to win against a quality opponent. work out kinks now. but expect more this yr than last.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

agreed... I expect to be a better basketball team this year

Nov 17, 2014, 10:07 PM

than last

Re: agreed... I expect to be a better basketball team this year

Nov 17, 2014, 10:10 PM

should be. okafor going to be a beast and heels have size (and paige) - we need to be ready.

I remember UNC losing to some team no one had ever heard of the year they won the NC...of course we don't have African studies classes like them either

Brutal ACC schedule -early season may very we'll define any

Nov 17, 2014, 10:34 PM

NCAA hopes.

Winthrop is a legitimate team but our margin for error is small and losses like this make it .... well maybe the fat lady will sing early for this team based on the schedule.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you can't hit the ground w/ your hat you usually lose?***

Nov 18, 2014, 7:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The frustrating thing is....

Nov 18, 2014, 8:04 AM

That this will cost us if we are anywhere near the NCAA bubble. If the standard is making the big dance, then we have a small margin for error and we just made it smaller. Unfortunately these games count too.
Sure, we might could pull it together and finish just above .500 in conference, but if we drop 3 games out of conference then we're back in the NIT. That is what is frustrating about this loss.
If the standard is NIT, then carry on, we'll be fine.

Nov 18, 2014, 9:04 AM

The added frustration goes back to why people are more made at Chad this year. In your 5th year as a coach with a $5,000,000 buyout you cannot lose to schools like this.

Well Said

Nov 18, 2014, 10:31 AM

And accurate.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1,939
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic