Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seneca tried to get prof. Todd May fired from Clemson for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Seneca tried to get prof. Todd May fired from Clemson for

Apr 6, 2016, 12:35 PM

speaking out regarding Hammond case. Intradesting and slimey.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/pickens-county/2016/04/06/seneca-tried-get-clemson-professors-fired-speaking-out-zach-hammond-case-emails-show/82661134/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

I had Dr. May for a seminar on Maurice Merleau-Ponty

Apr 6, 2016, 12:39 PM

Very good teacher. The class was actually co-taught with a professor from the architecture department, and Jim Barker gave a lecture in the amphitheater one week.

He's also one of the leading scholars of anarchist thought, which, uh, is unusual for a guy who's teaching at a public school. On the other hand, it's also unusual for Clemson to have a philosophy professor who's actually high profile. Here's his Wikipedia page (not many Clemson profs., especially in the humanities, have one): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_May

As an aside, it seems like Kumanyika is involved in every left-wing cause in and around Clemson. He was one of the guys who got kicked out of the Trump rally.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I had him too for a class back in the 90s. Kinda

Apr 6, 2016, 12:41 PM

surprised he is still there. Really good professor - made class very engaging.

#ACCFTS

I don't think he's that old

Apr 6, 2016, 1:08 PM

But, yes, I would've thought he'd have moved on to somewhere with a bigger philosophy department, or an area where you'd be more likely to find anarchist theorists.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Lounge?***

Apr 6, 2016, 3:36 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The RH Tig Anarchy Institute

Apr 6, 2016, 3:42 PM

At College of the Lounge

It's good thing I offer remedial courses.

Apr 6, 2016, 4:46 PM

I'm not sure some folks would graduate without them!

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting.

Apr 6, 2016, 12:43 PM [ in reply to I had Dr. May for a seminar on Maurice Merleau-Ponty ]

Given the fact that I am also one of the leading scholars of anarchist thought.

Isn't anarchy in direct conflict with the totalitarian

Apr 6, 2016, 12:45 PM

dicktatership you're looking to oppress us with?

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not exactly sure why, but your comment reminded me of

Apr 6, 2016, 12:49 PM

Cam's first film cameo as Dennis the Peasant.

King Arthur: I am your king.
Peasant Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?
[Angelic music plays... ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.
Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis the Peasant: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Arthur: Shut up
Dennis the Peasant: I mean, if I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
Arthur: [grabs Dennis] Shut up! Will you shut up?!
Dennis: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!
Arthur: [shakes Dennis] Shut up!
Dennis: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
Arthur: Bloody Peasant!
Dennis: Ooh, what a giveaway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tart. Lol***

Apr 6, 2016, 12:50 PM

I am also one of the leading scholars of

Apr 6, 2016, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Isn't anarchy in direct conflict with the totalitarian ]

conflicting thought.

With all due respect to my fellow commenters here, May

Apr 6, 2016, 12:48 PM

should have been fired long before this for his teaching style.

I had him for intro to logic.....one of the worst professors I encountered in my lengthy undergraduate tenure at Clemson. Essentially his idea of a logical argument was "one that agreed with his own". Sort of soured me on any future philosophy classes after that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand. It would have been difficult to understand

Apr 6, 2016, 12:59 PM

the class without the superior intellect shared by myself and Mr. McGee. A knuckle-dragger such as yourself would have been better off taking intro to tennis.

No, srsly was a very difficult class and first few weeks I was totally lost. But it was like learning a language - once I 'cracked the code' I could keep up.

#ACCFTS

At the time, May was like Mark Charney.......

Apr 6, 2016, 1:08 PM

A small college town pseudo cult of personality. If you were one of his disciples, you generally did well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mark Charney's wife's name is "Sappho"

Apr 6, 2016, 2:13 PM

Weird.

https://www.depts.ttu.edu/provost/facultybios/2012/charney.php

Never heard of him***

Apr 6, 2016, 2:34 PM [ in reply to At the time, May was like Mark Charney....... ]

I have a hard time believing that***

Apr 6, 2016, 1:00 PM [ in reply to With all due respect to my fellow commenters here, May ]

ok, you busted me, I was totally lying about a teacher and

Apr 6, 2016, 1:01 PM

a subject I took 20 years ago. I'm heavily invested in this topic.

Now you've done it. Be prepared to not read read a

Apr 6, 2016, 1:02 PM

6 paragraph response, thusly.

I already had the dictionary out.***

Apr 6, 2016, 1:15 PM

It's not that I don't believe you...

Apr 6, 2016, 1:06 PM [ in reply to ok, you busted me, I was totally lying about a teacher and ]

it's that that doesn't jibe very well with most people's experiences in his class.

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=528276

Ever taken a job in a new field?

Apr 6, 2016, 1:07 PM

Were you super awesome at it from day one?

Not saying he sucks now, but he was a relatively young, new professor when I had him. Maybe I got him on the sh## end of the learning curve.

Fair enough

Apr 6, 2016, 1:12 PM

It's definitely a good thing he wasn't fired. I wasn't a "May devotee," or anything, because I wasn't interested in the same stuff he was at the time. However, if you read what you were supposed to read and put in the effort, his classes were great.

I would imagine, though, that he'd be a little intense for people taking an intro to logic class.

This dude was my philosophy professor and my mind was

Apr 6, 2016, 1:07 PM [ in reply to It's not that I don't believe you... ]

blown until i realized that there are no wrong answers, just long arguments about nothing that the winner is determined by the one who will not shut up about his/her stance.

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=527171

Not a terrible class, not a fun class either.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stegall was a really nice guy, but...

Apr 6, 2016, 1:11 PM

it doesn't surprise me that you'd think that coming out of one of his classes. I seem to remember that he let students discuss stuff for far too long and didn't lecture enough, or didn't shut people down quickly enough who were going on tangents. One thing that will really make a philosophy class awful is if you just let students dominate the class with their opinions that are apropos of nothing.

Ah yes...A college student with an opinion.

Apr 6, 2016, 2:35 PM

Enlightening.

Students are not profs, thankfully

Apr 6, 2016, 2:43 PM

I'm there to hear from the professor, not from students with no expertise.

That's the first time I've watched that video in a while,

Apr 6, 2016, 1:01 PM

man...that cop is a straight up piece of shit cowboy. That was an execution.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not too familiar with this story...

Apr 6, 2016, 2:31 PM

Did the cop get fired? I assume he didn't get charged for anything...

Curious... how did you come to that conclusion?***

Apr 6, 2016, 4:07 PM [ in reply to That's the first time I've watched that video in a while, ]

A couple things.

Apr 6, 2016, 4:19 PM

First, it's known going into the scene that the situation was a drug deal (or at least one negotiated via text--no actual knowledge of drugs in possession, just circumstantial evidence). This wasn't a known felon with prior convictions, as far as the officer knew (and in reality). Second, the officer charges out of his car, and says "I'll blow your head off!" with some garbled expletives. His intent is pretty much known at that point. The panicked 19 year old makes a stupid decision, and decides to flee. He backs his car up a few feet, and turns to the left to drive over the curb and escape the officer. Third, and this is the most damning IMO, is the officer shouting "HE TRIED TO RUN ME OVER!", as if he knew he needed to influence the witnesses who saw the entire interaction. It's like he KNEW what he did was unjustified, and the dashcam shows (again, my opinion) exactly that.

And, of course, Seneca settling for over $2M...that doesn't happen in justifiable police shootings. He shot the kid in the side and in the back, in a car that was in NO danger of hitting him. It was an execution, and I think the intent was there when he exited his car, probably due to adrenaline. I understand how it happens, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but this was

Apr 6, 2016, 4:25 PM

a sting operation? If some, why in the blue hell were there not more police cars coming in? It seems with another car, they could have pinched the dude in pretty well and none of the rest of this happens. Also, if an officer feels that unsafe in making a simple drug arrest, we really, really need to re-think that game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually he followed standard protocol.

Apr 6, 2016, 4:29 PM

Have you never seen Tackleberry in Police Academy?

Weird....so I just learned that Tackleberry is dead too.

Apr 6, 2016, 4:30 PM

Wanna guess the date? No need, I'll tell you. 4/7/2001.

Weird stuff going on around here.

Tackleberry would have shot the kid from the street

Apr 6, 2016, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Actually he followed standard protocol. ]

The bullet would have passed through the entire building. Either way, this (what seems to be) a money grab sure as #### wasn't worth it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It just doesn't look all that obvious, to me

Apr 6, 2016, 4:34 PM [ in reply to A couple things. ]

Probably the worst thing you could say is that it looks like the car had already missed the officer before he fired, although that doesn't mean that the kid never tried to hit him with the car. There's just too much that happens off the camera for me to feel like I can be sure what happened, other than that the kid tried to get away from being arrested in a drug deal and got shot while trying to escape.

Here's the Solicitor's interpretation of the video: http://www.wyff4.com/news/no-charges-for-seneca-officer-who-killed-teen-solicitor-says/36059966

“The dashcam video shows Lt. Tiller pulling his vehicle behind Hammond’s parked car. "Hammond can be seen on video subsequently putting his car in reverse. "Hammond is able to reverse and maneuver his vehicle between Tiller’s patrol car and (Seneca police Sgt. B.J.) McClure’s car. Tiller quickly approaches Hammond’s car on the driver’s side with his gun drawn and repeatedly orders Hammond to stop and to show his hands. "Hammond then puts his car in drive in order to attempt to flee the scene. Hammond ignores Lt. Tiller’s clear instructions to stop and show his hands. Hammond then puts his car in drive in order to attempt to flee the scene. Hammond then turns the car hard left toward Lt. Tiller resulting in Lt. Tiller being face-to-face with Hammond at the driver’s window. The dashcam video shows Hammond’s vehicle veering toward Lt. Tiller and accelerating rapidly. Tiller back pedals a few steps to avoid being knocked down by Hammond’s car and is seen pushing off the vehicle as it veers towards him. The dashcam video shows Tiller’s feet going underneath the car at the approximate time the shots are fired. This can also be seen in the still photos provided by the FBI lab. Two shots are fired in rapid succession. The first shot can be heard almost immediately after Tiller pushes off the car and when his body is still exposed to danger from the vehicle. "The second shot immediately follows. "The car accelerated with such force that a concrete curb was damaged as well as Hammond’s front passenger-side tire. "Tiller is heard on the dashcam video seconds after the shooting saying Hammond tried to hit him with the car. "The situation rapidly unfolded and, as evidenced by the dash cam video, Tiller was forced to decide whether or not to fire his weapon in less than three seconds.”

Adams wrote, “The video viewed at full speed, standing alone, is troublesome. However, when the video and the totality of the investigation is evaluated and the laws of our State are applied, it is clear that Lt. Tiller broke no State laws. "The evidence from this investigation corroborates and supports Lt. Tiller’s belief that he was going to be run over. "Therefore, the only conclusion that can be rendered is that deadly force was justified.”

I just re-watched the stop and approach 3 times.

Apr 6, 2016, 4:42 PM

The officer was well clear of the car when it backed up. He then took steps towards the car, putting himself in harms way. Maybe he he protected others from the dangers of a high speed chase by doing that instead of going back to his car. I think he could have pulled the car closer and made escape harder. The officer electing to move toward the car on an charge that would have done little more than generate revenue had it gone well was the big mistake. That is the type thing I want to see changed.

Didn't he do that to try to get the car to stop?

Apr 6, 2016, 4:52 PM

The officer's job is to try to arrest the suspect. I suppose he could've just let him go to avoid anything else from happening, but I'm not sure he could've known that Hammond would continue on.

To just let them go is what I'm saying.

Apr 6, 2016, 4:59 PM

Things I don't know:

How did this kid get to be part of a sting?
Did he have a violent past?
Was catching this kid going to somehow lead to the hillbillies in Appalachia and the cartels in Mexico to stop making drugs?

The officer may well have been doing what he was trained to do. It seems we've got to reexamine when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. Just letting this one go is better than him being dead and a city having to pay out a bunch of money, or the officer being dead.

If you think you've got a serial killer cornered, by all means try to stop him and blast away. But in this case, let it go.

I would probably agree, for minor drug offenses

Apr 6, 2016, 5:18 PM

Or, at least, don't use lethal force. Of course, once people figured out that's what police would do for minor drug offenses, I'd guess they'd try to resist and escape a lot more.

Also, it does seem this kid had a history of trying to escape from police. He also apparently threatened to kill an ex-girlfriend.

I am thinking..

Apr 6, 2016, 5:22 PM

Maybe he should have attempted to pursue that drug offender, but if it got out of control where the public was in danger due to the driver speeding away in a chase, he should just use the guys license plate and put a warrant out for the guys arrest.

In this particular situation, just having another car

Apr 6, 2016, 8:47 PM

ready to respond would have helped. Dead kids car would have been pinned and then who knows.

And we come back to this minor drug offence

Apr 6, 2016, 8:49 PM [ in reply to I would probably agree, for minor drug offenses ]

thing really, really needs looked at. I doubt that this one kid going down would do anything as far as the War on drugs goes.

Kid didn't try to run over the cop.

Apr 6, 2016, 10:15 PM [ in reply to It just doesn't look all that obvious, to me ]

If the cop was in danger, its because he stepped in front of a moving car. At that point, the cop became judge, jury, and executioner over the crime of carrying of a little weed.

The cop had the perps license plate and car description; there was no reason to kill that kid.

That looks like murder to me.**

Apr 6, 2016, 3:27 PM

nm

It was***

Apr 6, 2016, 3:35 PM

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic