Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
offensive lines for Clemson and UGA?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

offensive lines for Clemson and UGA?

Aug 11, 2014, 9:23 PM

The thread comparing the two front sevens made me wonder about the offensive lines. Not very familiar with either teams offensive line at this point. Both teams seem really confident in their defensive front 7, though I give that edge to Clemson. Obviously UGA has the better RB stable and QB remains to be seen. With both QBs being new starters I would think the offensive line that handles the other front 7 better gives their team a chance. What's that match up look like?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: offensive lines for Clemson and UGA?

Aug 11, 2014, 9:29 PM

OL: For once, UGA has very good depth. We will see how good the top end is.

Re: offensive lines for Clemson and UGA?

Aug 11, 2014, 10:31 PM

You depth depends on who gets arrested the week before the game.

Here's a solid breakdown....

Aug 11, 2014, 9:40 PM

Our returning OLine coming back has played 3046 snaps in 151 appearances. This does not include Shaq Anthony (626 snaps, 17 games, 12 pancakes, 5 starts) or David Beasley (1227 snaps, 30 games, 19 starts, 42 pancakes) because they're facing that one game suspension. Luckily, Joe Gore (124 snaps, 12 games, 3 pancakes) has received praise during fall camp and should step up. Isaiah Battle ended the year on a strong note and started and played the entire Orange Bowl. Also, Kalon Davis should step up and looks sharp (715 snaps, 36 games, 8 starts, 22 pancakes).

On the DLine, we're returning a combined 5421 snaps and 91 starts. This includes 724 tackles, 102.5 tackles for loss, and 43 sacks. Also, 134 QB pressures, 19 pass break ups, 11 forced fumbles, 7 fumble recoveries, and 3 blocked punts. Our depth at DLine is phenomenal, even if Corey Crawford sits the first game. In his place Shaq Lawson, a freshmen all American, could step up (337 snaps, 13 games, 10 TFL, 4 sacks). Or Tavares Barnes (292 snaps, 45 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack).

Hope it helps.

Re: Here's a solid breakdown....

Aug 11, 2014, 9:55 PM

Thanks. If anyone has time can someone list who the Clemson o-line starters are? Is pretty much the whole line back? If so, I think they will be formidable. I have always been impressed with Caldwell's coaching. His lines at Vandy usually played way above their talent level. Always wished we could have gotten Caldwell, though I think Elliot is very good too.

Appreciate it. I'll have the full scout report as more is known

Aug 11, 2014, 10:03 PM

Right now, it's just to early to pencil folks in. Once it gets closer to kickoff, I'll have most of that for ya.

Re: Here's a solid breakdown....

Aug 11, 2014, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's a solid breakdown.... ]

Here's the post spring staring oline Left to Right: Isiah Battle, Kalon Davis, Ryan Norton, David Beasley (suspended against UGA Eric McClain is #2) Joe Gore (co-starter with Shaq Anthony who is suspended against UGA). Note this is just the post spring Depth chart so a lot can change in the next 19 days to kickoff.

Battle, Norton, Davis, and Beasly all have good game time experience and a good number of snaps. Joe Gore has been fighting injuries his career but now seems to be healthy and has been impressive during fall camp. McClain is a converted TE. Key Reserves are Jay Guillermo (#1 Center for class of 2012, Tyrone Crowder (top 10 Guard for class of 2013), and Reid Webster who has seen a fare number of snaps.

Message was edited by: CU_Kobe_24®

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Reports coming out that Crowder

Aug 11, 2014, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Here's a solid breakdown.... ]

is pushing for a starting spot. The guy is a straight mauler and the strongest guy on thee team including Vic. If Crowder starts....look out. Our oline is going to be a strength.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Reports coming out that Crowder

Aug 11, 2014, 10:21 PM

I really assumed Crowder would be starting by now. His high school film and measurables were very impressive. Bodes well for y'all if your other guards are good enough to keep him off the field. Really a win-win situation. Either Crowder plays or you have someone better.

RS Freshman. TI is expecting him to start.***

Aug 11, 2014, 10:29 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Reports coming out that Crowder

Aug 12, 2014, 12:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Reports coming out that Crowder ]

He came into to school terribly overweight. I have to wonder where his conditioning is at and how many reps he has gotten at this point. He does seem to have gotten his weight under control but I think he would have to be dominant to push Beasley or Davis out of their starting jobs.

Beasley is out for UGA

Aug 12, 2014, 12:10 AM

nm

Re: Beasley is out for UGA

Aug 12, 2014, 12:34 AM

He will probably be the starter after the UGA game. I don't see a guy getting his first D1 snap starting for us in Athens. He will probably rotate in during the season at some point though but I doubt he will start.

its a tarp!

Aug 11, 2014, 10:29 PM

what this poster really wants to compare is CU vs SCjr...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? Our Dline dominated them.

Aug 11, 2014, 10:31 PM

6 turnovers by our offense lead to a 10 point win. Usually a 6 turnover difference leads to a blowout. Our Defense kept us in it. They had no answer for Jarrett or Vic.

We don't turn the ball over the last two years we win. Simple as that.

Re: Why? Our Dline dominated them.

Aug 11, 2014, 11:34 PM

I don't know about two years ago but I would definitely have to agree with your assessment of last year.

Re: its a tarp!

Aug 11, 2014, 11:33 PM [ in reply to its a tarp! ]

No sir. I understand why you may think that as alot of Gamecock trolls have shown up in the last few years. If you will notice, though, I have been a member for over 13 or 14 years so I was here when yall were regularly spanking us. I don't start topics about the Gamecocks. It is a Clemson board and I treat it as such. I just like to be informed on what y'all bring to the table each year.

Clemson's OL has a few question marks

Aug 12, 2014, 1:33 AM

RT is probably the biggest question mark, although Joe Gore has been drawing pretty good reviews in camp. At this point, we've got some guys with good experience and good talent, but we'll have to see if they gel together as a group. If they do, then Clemson will be an awfully good team next year. If they don't, then Clemson will have to scramble to find answers on offense.

UGa's offensive line was, in my opinion, badly overrated last year. Clemson did very well against them with the pass rush last year, even if UGa's OL was able to open some holes for Gurley early on. They lost a couple of guys from that line, so I don't expect them to be improved (unless John Theus is an unexpected revelation at LT).

The best way to compare the two is probably to try to find out who has the advantage in an OL vs. DL match- up. As far as I can tell, Clemson has a bigger advantage over UGa's DL than UGa's DL might have over Clemson's OL. I think Clemson's advantage still holds even given UGa's home- field advantage, but that could equalize things a bit. That might be homerism on my part, but I really do think Clemson's DL is going to be special next year, and I see nobody particularly dangerous (maybe besides Floyd) on the UGa side.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic