Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1st amendment wins again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 700

1st amendment wins again

Nov 16, 2018, 12:27 PM

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/16/judge-orders-trump-administration-to-restore-cnn-reporter-jim-acostas-white-house-press-pass.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

It's the best thing that could happen to Trump.

Nov 16, 2018, 12:29 PM

Now they can take my advise and ignore Acosta instead of him becoming a martyr.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand how

"Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press" some how translates into a right to enter the Whitehouse and ask questions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you explain the "due process" objection?

Nov 16, 2018, 12:31 PM

What due process does there need to be for a government agency to revoke a particular reporter's "hard pass"?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

notice and a hearing

Nov 16, 2018, 12:35 PM

I havent read the Court's opinion but I guess the Court found some form of right in the pass and required the Administration to provide notice of the revocation and an opportunity to be heard first.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: notice and a hearing

Nov 16, 2018, 12:47 PM

well, seeing as how they had no good reason to revoke it in the first place and had to invent a story about him putting his hands on an intern, should this surprise anyone?

I mean it really must suck to hear it from an actual judge when your fox news friends portraid it entirely differently. It is a strange time we live in when a right leaning "news reporting" agency like fox will actually cohoberrate a lie coming out of the whitehouse.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"no good reason" ??

Nov 16, 2018, 12:50 PM

he did not abide by the rules, asking more than the allowed number of questions and refusing to hand over the mike.

thats reason enough.

Seriously, I’m surprised that there is any “due process” involved in a WH press credential.

Nov 16, 2018, 1:50 PM

He made a spectacle of himself and disrespected his fellow “journalists”. Watch the video.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sort of what I thought

Nov 16, 2018, 2:16 PM

I think it would be wrong to take away a particular reporter's press pass for reporting things you didn't like, but it doesn't seem like even that would be against the law. In this case, Acosta loss his pass not because of his oppositional reporting, but because of his out of control behavior.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: notice and a hearing

Nov 16, 2018, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: notice and a hearing ]

Trump administration backed off on the Acosta intern assault allegation because it wouldn't be recognized by the court.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm gonna try to answer that...

Nov 16, 2018, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Can you explain the "due process" objection? ]

Although I admit I'm also trying to wrap my brain around it a bit.

"Life, liberty, and property" when discussing due process... well, I suppose the judge could have been looking at the property aspect? Of course, one could argue the pass is property of the White House, but then one could also argue that said property is that of the people and a guarantee to a journalist through freedom of the press?

Just giving it a shot before happy hour. Could be wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

The Court has established many times...

Nov 16, 2018, 2:09 PM [ in reply to I don't understand how ]

That the First Amendment extends well beyond the language of just the "Congress" part. This has been the case in multiple amendments.

And it's disturbing if any American wants to use those semantics to restrict such freedoms on a supposed technicality.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

What freedom is being restricted here?

Nov 16, 2018, 2:17 PM

Isn't that pass technically issued to CNN, which can send somebody else who will behave more professionally?

Message was edited by: camcgee®

They could, I imagine...

Nov 16, 2018, 2:37 PM

I think the overall issue is the potential precedent and not Acosta specifically: The idea that the White House could start yanking passes of reporters who are trying to ask tough questions in the future or who aren't towing the White House line.

This is overall good for democracy.

this wasnt about tough questions though

Nov 16, 2018, 2:40 PM

neither implicitly nor explicitly. It was explicitly about Acosta's actions.

What happens if I go into a Court and the Judge tells me to sit down and shut up (happened recently, BTW) and I don't? Think I have a right to appear in that Court again??!!?

Re: this wasnt about tough questions though

Nov 16, 2018, 2:46 PM

But that's the point... is that if this stood, it would lead to that. Trump even asserted that after Acosta got the boot.

And we already know the White House dropped that BS "he manhandled an intern" crap.

I'd agree if it was just about ideology

Nov 16, 2018, 2:42 PM [ in reply to They could, I imagine... ]

Apparently Acosta is pretty exceptional in his behavior, though: https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/416966-former-press-secretaries-fleischer-mccurry-agree-on-acosta-behavior-i

We certainly don't want the WH inventing reasons to kick oppositional reporters out, though.

Exactly.

Nov 16, 2018, 2:47 PM

Hey, I'm not lining up to buy Jim Acosta action figures.

What bothers me is the bigger implications. And that's setting a precedent for any White House to follow.

Re: I don't understand how

Nov 16, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to I don't understand how ]

Somehow I'm not surprised that you don't understand that.

Some rights become rights only after they're established. You have a right to receive welfare if you qualify, but the that right exists only because the government opened the door to welfare in the first place.

The judge specifically mentions that there's no first amendment right to enter the White House until the White House says journalists can enter.

Re: I don't understand how

Nov 16, 2018, 2:24 PM

the title to the post was "first amendment wins again"

Dang liberal Trump-appointed judge***

Nov 16, 2018, 2:27 PM [ in reply to I don't understand how ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"so-called" judge***

Nov 16, 2018, 2:33 PM

They're the worst***

Nov 16, 2018, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Dang liberal Trump-appointed judge*** ]

Re: 1st amendment wins again

To be fair, the judge ruled it was his right to due process (5th) that was violated, not necessarily his 1st amendment right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

makes a little more sense***

Nov 16, 2018, 12:31 PM

Evidently the WH lawyers screwed up and didn't present an...

Nov 16, 2018, 12:44 PM

acceptable standard and showed that Acosta did meet it. Imo, building a straw man argument might be a start. Grandstanding, refusing to yield the floor when asked and swatting a WH aid might be others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2018, 12:45 PM

I would call on him for all questions and let him pontificate and ramble and then shut it down. Not allowing anyone else to ask a question.

Or on the flip side, never call on him for a question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

make him sit in the back; take his stapler***

Nov 16, 2018, 12:46 PM

Nov 16, 2018, 1:03 PM

Good. Acosta always has done a great job calling Trump out on Trump's bull dung. He is just defending the media and his place of employment. Trump created the need for it. If it were President Kasich or someone normal there wouldn't even be this issue.

This isnt the Jim F$&#$^%&$ Acosta show

Nov 16, 2018, 1:26 PM

https://www.dailywire.com/news/38325/isnt-jim-fing-acosta-show-journalists-unload-cnns-ryan-saavedra

Re: This isnt the Jim F$&#$^%&$ Acosta show

Nov 16, 2018, 1:32 PM

Whatever. The guy is vastly supported by fellow journalists. Maybe someone at Fox or Info Wars takes issue.

How will the lawlessness, bigotry and lies from this White

Nov 16, 2018, 1:29 PM

House affect the Republican Party going forward? The more the President doubles down on this pattern of behavior, the tighter they cling to him, which is proving very good for the Democrats, but doesn't bode well for the Republican Party going forward.

Trump's going to disembowel the Republican Party if he stays in office the next two years. How long before they start to abandon him?

Hopefully, no time soon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How will the lawlessness, bigotry and lies from this White

Nov 16, 2018, 1:32 PM

You all are hilarious about this whole issue. The doesnt act like a journalist at all. He pontificates, gives his opinion and then asks a question. Thats not how it works and you all know that, but for some reason want to crawl in bed with this jackazzz.

Re: How will the lawlessness, bigotry and lies from this White

Nov 16, 2018, 1:35 PM

The truth is you probably rarely had ever watched him and would have no clue.

Remember when Republicans were fond of The Constitution

Nov 16, 2018, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: How will the lawlessness, bigotry and lies from this White ]

and the rule of law?

Seems like so long ago.

Trump is taking you guys down, "but for some reason (you) want to crawl i bed with this jackazz.

Don't stop. Give it all you got.

You know, some of us...

Nov 16, 2018, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: How will the lawlessness, bigotry and lies from this White ]

Actually disagree with Acosta's journalistic approach in this matter.

We just understand that the implications are bigger than Acosta.

^^^^^ this

Nov 16, 2018, 2:17 PM

Acosta was a jack ####. But the ideology behind the event is what's troubling.

What's the ideology?

Nov 16, 2018, 2:19 PM

Have other liberal journalists had their passes revoked?

That the White House can bar

Nov 16, 2018, 2:21 PM

journalists from the press pool.

I must admit, it is an interesting question. Can the White House pick who should and should not be allowed to report?

Seems like they can bar somebody for misconduct***

Nov 16, 2018, 2:23 PM

Is there something in writing stating what proper

Nov 16, 2018, 2:24 PM

conduct in the press room should be?

Good question***

Nov 16, 2018, 2:25 PM

I think it's a gatdam shame when adults need to be...

Nov 16, 2018, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Is there something in writing stating what proper ]

given instructions detailing civility.

People are stupid

Nov 16, 2018, 2:32 PM

and for some reason I keep getting shocked by how stupid adults can be.

So now Acosta is stupid?

Nov 16, 2018, 2:35 PM

Why not pull his hard pass if he's stupid?

People over all. My job has shown this to be true.

Nov 16, 2018, 2:36 PM

but if you want to lecture somebody on civility, wouldn't it stand to send it towards your president?

I'm sure Acosta knows how to act properly

Nov 16, 2018, 2:35 PM [ in reply to I think it's a gatdam shame when adults need to be... ]

I'm not sure Trump does, though. At any rate, Acosta has been rewarded for his grandstanding, so now he just does it all the time and apparently there's no impunity.

I'd like to know how other WH press shops handled reporters like Acosta. I know Ari Fleischer didn't seem to think this thing with Acosta was too awful, since Acosta apparently still had a "soft pass."

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/416966-former-press-secretaries-fleischer-mccurry-agree-on-acosta-behavior-i

I don't recall you speaking out on constitutional rights...

Nov 16, 2018, 2:27 PM [ in reply to You know, some of us... ]

when Obama tapped Rosen (Fox reporter) phone and put him in jail for not divulging his sources.

We said Journalists. Not Propagandists***

Nov 16, 2018, 2:29 PM

So you're making the...

Nov 16, 2018, 2:33 PM

constitutional given rights relative to political opinion?

As a strict Constitutionalist, freedom of the press

Nov 16, 2018, 2:34 PM

should be reserved to news organizations. Not entertainment companies

Why do I think you know better than this?

Nov 16, 2018, 2:36 PM

Who determines which is which?

Why don't we go off of what is filed under the FCC?***

Nov 16, 2018, 2:38 PM

Of course you didn't.

Nov 16, 2018, 2:45 PM [ in reply to I don't recall you speaking out on constitutional rights... ]

Because I wasn't posting on here in May of 2013. But if we had this conversation over a beer, I would have also said I disapproved of the Obama admin's actions into Rosen (but he was not jailed... where did you get that from?). But you have seen me criticize the Obama admin's actions towards the press. You're just choosing to ignore it and all the other times I've stated I did not care for the Obama admin.

Jesus. This is the weakest "But Obama..." I've ever seen out of you. It's also the tu quoque fallacy, one of the most childish and absurd that can be brought to an argument. Stop doing it. You're better than that.

But if we want to play tu quoque, were you quick to blast Rosen for what a horrible person and excuse for a journalist he was?

Let him have his pass...just don't let him in

Nov 16, 2018, 2:50 PM

He can ask those leaving what was said. :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Nov 16, 2018, 2:50 PM

I'm amazed at how triggered the right is with acosta

Nov 16, 2018, 3:23 PM

Not sure if it's earned by Acosta or just the right's propaganda arm choosing to make him their focus for some reason.

Replies: 56
| visibility 700
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic