Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Stoudt...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,811

Stoudt...

Oct 20, 2014, 3:37 PM

To break down his throwing ability...

There is a balance between the much sought after "touch" and velocity (the extra zip on the ball).

It is apparent that Watson has both the arm strength and "touch" to be a star.

Where Stoudt differs... He must sacrifice velocity for "touch", i.e. the short throws that get batted down or the player that is waiting on the WR screen and only picks up a yard at most or the long balls that fall short. On the other hand, he must sacrifice "touch" for velocity, i.e. the long balls that are overthrown in order to avoid underthrowing them resulting in an interception. When underthrowing occurs, our players turn into defenders, i.e. "Tay" Scott and Mike Wiliams (injured shoulder doing so against Louisville) on a couple of different occasions.

Also, another example that demonstrates his throwing ability is the timing of the ball to receivers. Screens are thrown late, slanting wide receivers catch balls behind their bodies (versus being led into the middle of the field), curl routes are thrown too long after the role, out routes are thrown to receivers that are standing still at the time of the reception, etc.... These are dependent on two factors, timing and arm strength. I understand that a lot of these passes are complete, but the YAC are severely diminished. A 4 yard gain on 1st down opens up a lot more options than a 2 yard gain, a 15 yard out route that is caught with momentum and can be taken up the sideline flops fields or scores touchdowns, and many more YAC scenarios.

These different assessments seem to be a little bit under appreciated in my opinion.

For clarification, I am not being a Stoudt hater. I am pulling for the Tigers and as long as he is at the helm, I will cheer him and his fellow tigers to victory. I am making this post because it seems people simply get lost in the failures of the Offensive Line or Stoudt's lack of mobility, not to say that these two things don't play significant factors in the quarterback's ability to have success, but there is certainly much more to the position.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

both QBs play/played behind the same Oline......

Oct 20, 2014, 3:44 PM

yet vastly different outcomes.

it can't be argued.......just have to weather this storm over the next 2 opponents (who are virtual bottom feeders in college football)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: both QBs play/played behind the same Oline......

Oct 20, 2014, 3:57 PM

Watson just gets the ball out sooner and his scrambling ability help behind are thin OL

Oct 20, 2014, 4:55 PM [ in reply to both QBs play/played behind the same Oline...... ]

pheebo, and you are saying that Watson and Stoudt played against the same quality opponents? I don't think so!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2014, 4:57 PM [ in reply to both QBs play/played behind the same Oline...... ]

wrong again. gore is out. guerrmo is out. depth is non existent.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stoudt...

Oct 20, 2014, 4:17 PM

GREAT post! You stated your observations and opinions without ant negative comments about any player. I agree with everything you posted. Thanks for your post!

while we are on a positive note

Oct 20, 2014, 4:48 PM

It seems that everyone wants to document the differences between Watson and Stoudt and to be honest, you would have to be blind not to see them. However, I would like to take another view of this. Where would we be without the services of Watson and Stoudt? We got to see a picture of the 3rd string guy last week on Tigernet, but have virtually no game stats to see what CU would be like with him at the helm. Mourn the loss of Watson, but be dang thankful for Stoudt is what I say. Thank goodness this young man didn't turn in his chits when the game didn't work out like he wanted it to. This may be hard for some on here to believe, but Cole may win as many games this year for Clemson as Watson does.

Re: while we are on a positive note

Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM

Outstanding post!!! Spot on!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stoudt...

Oct 20, 2014, 5:02 PM

Thanks for the positive responses and additional insights. I hope we can get Stoudt some relief up front with the changing of Rod Byers to O-line, further integration of Sam Cooper into the blocking schemes, and gaining of experience for Norton. Also, if Tyshon Dye does return next week, he could be a big boost considering our running game would demand more respect which would result in larger passing lanes.

not sure how this factors into your formula, but he also

Oct 20, 2014, 5:05 PM

does not put much air under the ball. williams is a tall receiver and you want to lead him or at least put arch on the ball so that he can go up and get it. many of cole's downfield passes saturday were flat and williams had no really shot at them because of that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Re: not sure how this factors into your formula, but he also

Oct 20, 2014, 5:58 PM

Not part of the formula really...just some food for thought.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,811
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic