Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College football needs one of two things
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

College football needs one of two things

Jan 21, 2020, 5:03 PM

Conference realignment or at least a 16 team playoff consisting of each FBS division winners plus at large bids.

A handful of schools are starting to gain a monopoly on the talent and creating a further gap between themselves and the other 125 or so schools which is weakening the product because only a few teams matter. If you are not going to create a playoff system that AT LEAST includes all division winners, P5 conferences need to be realigned and awarded a national title separate from group of 5.

I realize Clemson is doing well in the current system but it’s not about the success of your school only, it’s about the system being fair and logical. The beauty contest we have now where teams are hand selected by a committee is neither.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College football needs one of two things

Jan 21, 2020, 5:38 PM

U got spoon fed those agenda driven "talking points" found in the body of your post. Those points if valid only serve to galvanize the anchor Clemson has set in the CFP?yet you advocate some bs "reshuffling of the deck" penalizing success for misguided notions about parity & believe the polar ice caps will melt if the CFP is not expanded

not sure how expanding the playoffs will accomplish that...

Jan 21, 2020, 6:28 PM

since #4 (and sometimes #3) seems to get the brakes beat off of them every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 in playoff is perfect.***

Jan 21, 2020, 7:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To borrow a familiar refrain from a fellow TNet colleague

Jan 21, 2020, 7:29 PM

Jop83 = TinCup14 = DannyByGodFord

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 8:00 PM

I was thinking halftime strippers or lawn darts

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 8:06 PM

#######? I can get behind that.

Jan 21, 2020, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: College football needs one of two things ]

#######? I can get behind that.

Jan 22, 2020, 1:42 AM [ in reply to Re: College football needs one of two things ]

Why not both?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't there another idiot crying about this just a month

Jan 21, 2020, 8:38 PM

or so ago? Almost word for word. 4 Teams is all that is needed. Yes even if Clemson doesn't get in one year. Anyone who seriously watches the games know that after #3 the other teams are just cannon fodder.hth

4 conferences, 4 pods per conference with 4 teams/pod.

Jan 21, 2020, 8:38 PM

That's by nature a 64 team playoff. Pod winners play in the first two round held during regular season which determines 4 team playoff, then two rounds of playoff just as we have now.

Bust up the Big 12 and let conferences draw for first pick after conference expel teams like Duke moving them back to compete in D2 or whatever, who cares?

Whatever we do and how ever we solve the problem we should not extend postseason play and make the season longer. A 16 team playoff is ok if the first couple rounds happen during the regular season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 8:44 PM

Fairness has never had anything to do with it and never will unless you can make a $$ case for ALL involved that can use "fairness" as a public reason for change. Follow the money to see what is possible. Anything else is a pipe dream. Right now the 4 game playoff is the best thing out there and Clemson's success, yes, "little ole Clemson" is what will be pointed at over and over as proof the current system works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 9:07 PM

There have always been a limited number of elite teams who gathered most of the top talent. Now that Clemson has played our way into the CFP and won 2 titles in the past 4 years, we are getting the top talent. So folks on the outside looking in want to legislate themselves into a playoff spot.

I do not recall these cries for change when the SEC was getting an automatic invite for 1 or 2 teams to the BCS title game and winning 7 straight titles.

SECers, I think you protest too much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I guess you can just reduce the number of scholarships

Jan 21, 2020, 9:24 PM

for the teams that make the playoff! Give them ten less scholarships, the year after they make the playoff!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 9:28 PM

There were only 3 worthy teams to fill 4 spots this year.

There is such a huge difference in #1 to #16 in college football it is pointless other than needless potential injuries to top teams.

What will you get out of watching LSU destroy Notre Dame by 40 or Clemson destroy Washington by 40.

Jan 21, 2020, 10:11 PM

The current playoff system has served us pretty well. I’d much rather have our tough game be someone like Notre Dame, rest up til the playoffs, and have one game between us (preferably against a big 12 team) and the NC as opposed to going through 3 good teams (unless they’re all Big 12 teams LOL). Of course we’ll beat everyone but why mess up what’s worked so well?

Nonsense.

Jan 21, 2020, 10:26 PM

Who has a monopoly on talent?

Clemson? Until recently we were 8th or worse. Still won the national championship against the teams that got all the blue chip players.

Bama? Didn’t even make the playoff.

Ohio State? First time they made it in a few years and they lost.

LSU? First appearance and last in a while. Perfect storm for them.

Assuming Oregon is not one of the teams you’re talking about, all Utah had to do was beat them and they were in. The failed.

The sport is fine. I’m not opposed to a true playoff but the four team playoff is working fine for the sport.

null

Re: Nonsense.

Jan 21, 2020, 10:57 PM

Ohio State, Bama and LSU aren’t going anywhere, especially Bama and LSU—we haven’t even seen what this kid Brennan is capable of though there’s no way he’s better than Mac Jones or TL. And Bama would’ve made the playoffs this year but Tua got hurt (thankfully) and Saban has a tendency to lose steam when his teams take a big L (this time from LSU). He’s a perfectionist, all or nothing. You’re kidding yourself if you think he’s going to let that happen again.

Clemson has a monopoly on talent, and on the ACC as long as everyone else sucks (probably because Dabo is a recruiting genius and snipes top notch recruits) and I’m pretty happy about it.

LSU lost their Heisman QB...8 starters on offense...6 on defense...

Jan 21, 2020, 11:48 PM

...and both their offensive and defensive coordinators. If Coach O has them back next year then the guy is a flat-out genius coach.

I didn’t say these programs are going anywhere...just like before the playoffs, great teams are great for long periods of time. Nothing has changed in that regard. Like I said, Utah only had to beat Oregon and they failed. Are people complaining that Utah is getting all the good recruits?

Its just not a problem. People are taking a few years and assuming it’s the new normal. Like Miami in the 80s or FSU in the 90s or whatever. This too shall pass. Bama could fall into obscurity with a bad hire to replace their 68 year old coach. Miami could catch fire (their recruiting class is about where Clemson’s was before we made our run...as is UNC’a and GT’s...FSU’s is solid too).

With the transfer portal, stockpiling depth is not going to be easy. There will be churn.

null

Re: LSU lost their Heisman QB...8 starters on offense...6 on defense...

Jan 21, 2020, 11:52 PM

LSU has a lot of great freshmen. 2021 and 2022 will be stacked. Coach O learned from his mistakes at Ole Miss. And what pisses me off about them is they have no in-state competing schools. Agreed about Bama. I’m just glad we play in the ACC.

Re: LSU lost their Heisman QB...8 starters on offense...6 on defense...

Jan 22, 2020, 6:15 AM

The reason college football is superior to almost any other sport is the entire season is a playoff. Each weekend throughout September October and November has key matchups and or upsets that directly affects the 4 team playoff. If your team loses one game , they need help. One game. When you introduce 8 or 16 team playoffs, you remove that key ingredient. For example: back in early November Saban had LSU to prepare for and Tua was hurt. He HAD to play him to have his best chance of winning. However with a 16 team playoff who here believes Tua plays that game? Saban would’ve taken that loss and saved Tua for a playoff run. If you believe that scenario is better than our current CFP, we disagree. I could agree with you but we’d both be wrong.

Jan 22, 2020, 6:44 AM

I used to be a big proponent for increasing the size of the playoff but right now I think the first step is having it be as much of a level playing field as possible for teams to make you "eligible" for the playoff.

Requirements:
8 or 9 Conference games (pick one and everyone stick to it), I'd prefer 8 personally just for better OOC games
1 Permanent Home & Home Rival/Opponent
1 FCS School played at Home
1-2 Power 5 Schools (At least 1 must Road Game)

Also, Everyone's Conference Championship played inside a stadium with a roof so that way you don't have some teams impacted by weather and others not. It might take some reshuffling but it would be nice to have it all be even.

Big 10: Indianapolis, Minnesota
Big 12: Dallas, Houston
SEC: New Orleans
ACC: Atlanta
Pac 12: Las Vegas, Los Angeles

Jan 22, 2020, 7:14 AM

My God no. Some things but said is ok but football should be on grass, outside, in the weather. This mentality to make everything perfect and fair for everyone drives me nuts. Let's just give everyone a trophy. Leave it alone.

Jan 22, 2020, 2:31 PM

16 teams? Have you gone to a playoff game? the cost is nuts, let alone a Natty, and you want to a dd another 2 rounds? Have you lost it? its already hard enough on everyone involved just to get thru what we have.

ACC could fix its own conference and work realignment every year, they could go get some up and coming teams to join, could get rid of schools that just suck and are not committed... or they can just keep taking the money and smile at Clemsons success... ACC gets the lions share of that money not Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 22, 2020, 3:50 PM

I agree with your premise of getting more teams involved and think the idea of including each region is also on target! I don’t agree with 16 though! I say 6 ...each P5 conference winner gets an auto berth which essentially means that the conference championship games are the first round of playoffs! And the 6th team comes from the two highest rated Group of 5 champions playing each other in a group of 5 championship game and the winner gets in the playoff...

Essentially this becomes a 12 team playoff...the 10 P5 division champion winners in the conference championship games and the 2 group of 5 teams in the G5 championship ship game...

Seed the 6 teams with 2 byes and play...this ensure that every region of the country is represented each year thus keeping parity and national interest and ensures that al D1 players have a shot at making the playoffs...

Will it be the 6 best teams...nope...but no other playoff system in the world only has the “best” teams in...there is a criteria for making it and you either win your conference or not...if you can’t win your conferemce you don’t deserve to be in...

College football just needs to get rid of California.

Jan 22, 2020, 3:53 PM

It's awesome otherwise.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic