Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So the #2/#3 matchup could be played in Atlanta?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

So the #2/#3 matchup could be played in Atlanta?

Dec 1, 2019, 7:06 AM

I thought the semifinal sites were set in stone? 1/4 in Atlanta and 2/3 in Arizona? Or do they decide which site will give the biggest advantage to #1 and place accordingly?

I tried to look it up but kept running into 12 page rules for the cfp committee. Help!? TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. Highest seed gets to pick their site.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:16 AM

Ohio State would likely not want to play UGA in Atlanta but also would not want to play Utah in Arizona. OSU has large grad populations in both cities, so if they saty 1, it will be interesting to see where they play.

Message was edited by: Tigersense®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

nope, the committee picks the sites***

Dec 1, 2019, 7:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, that is not how it was explained on WCCP all last week

Dec 1, 2019, 7:20 AM

Yeah, the sites are picked by the commitee but the choice is given tot eh highest seed team.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

Well maybe they should research a little

Dec 1, 2019, 7:24 AM

takes a few seconds on google

B. When assigning teams to sites, the committee will place the top two seeds at the most advantageous sites, weighing criteria such as convenience of travel for its fans, home?crowd advantage or disadvantage and general familiarity with the host city and its stadium. Preference will go to the No. 1 seed.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sports/2016/10/24/selection-committee-protocol.aspx

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure that is saying that the 1 seed gets to pick the

Dec 1, 2019, 7:27 AM

location. What am I missing? I guess the committee has veto rights, but they defer to what site gives the 1 team an advantage. That would be determined by the school. Not sure where they(WCCP) are wrong in what they said.

the schools do not have access to talk to the committee

Dec 1, 2019, 7:30 AM

to try and change their mind one way or another on anything except for what they say in public

OK. What a petty differential in the arguement. Semantics.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:34 AM

The school does pick, the communication of what the prefer is a little fuzzy.

That's like saying students don't pick their classes in College, the professor does. Technically that might be true in the end, but students really pick the classes.

No that is incorrect

Dec 1, 2019, 8:31 AM

the committee picks, not the schools. When you sign up for classes you pick from available classes.

The schools are not given a choice, they are told where they are playing. The committee attempts to give the number 1 team the advantage, but the school may disagree with the pick.

Neal. You are wrong, though technically you may be correct.

Dec 1, 2019, 8:55 AM

The #1 seed gets preference. How that is communicated may be in doubt. But the committee defers to the #1 seed. Clemson was asked their preference when we were #1. They will find out what Ohio State prefers if ranked #1 and send them there.

I don't understand your obstinance.

Wow. No he isn’t. And it is spelled out for you in very

Dec 1, 2019, 8:58 AM

basic writing.

B. When assigning teams to sites, the committee will place the top two seeds at the most advantageous sites

The committee will place .......

What is even remotely debatable about this ?

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

There is nothing semantic about it. You are saying the

Dec 1, 2019, 8:57 AM [ in reply to OK. What a petty differential in the arguement. Semantics. ]

top seed / school picks where it will play.

It absolutely DOES NOT.

And you are still saying it after reading the paragraph that spells it out.

You are the one dealing in semantics.

The fact is - the SCHOOL does NOT pick where it plays.

How is this even still being talked about / debated. It has been on here 10 times in the last week.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

A demonstration of this was when Clemson was #1 and went to.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Pretty sure that is saying that the 1 seed gets to pick the ]

A demonstration that the committee chooses is when Clemson went to the Sugar Bowl to play Alabama. At #1 Clemson might have preferred to play in the Rose bowl instead of a home game for Alabama in the Sugar. The Sugar bowl was clearly not advantageous for the #1 team. Instead they sent Georgia and Oklahoma to the Rose and they got the SEC championship match-up they desired in the final.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A demonstration of this was when Clemson was #1 and went to.

Dec 1, 2019, 8:36 AM

I believe reports at the time were that Dabo stated they asked him and he told the committee he preferred the Sugar.

I bet you can't find that written in an article anywhere

Dec 1, 2019, 9:35 AM

just saying it does not make it true

Team From Southeast Would Not Play Luckeyes In ATL

Dec 1, 2019, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Pretty sure that is saying that the 1 seed gets to pick the ]

Utah's entry into the conversation could make things dicey. Committee sets sight No. 1 will play based on not giving home field advantage to No. 4. No. 2/No. 3 get the other game. If LSU moves to No. 1, Clemson most likely headed to Arizona. IMO best situation for Clemson is a Georgia victory over LSU and Ohio State stays undefeated. Ohio State/LSU go to the desert. Clemson-Georgia in Atlanta.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well maybe they should research a little

Dec 1, 2019, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Well maybe they should research a little ]

Yeah preference to the # 1 seed. Hey #1 do you have a preference?? They ask then that’s how it works.

Dec 1, 2019, 10:10 AM

Wrong

CFP Wikipedia page contradicts that and states that

Dec 1, 2019, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Well maybe they should research a little ]

the #1 seed gets to pick. I've yet to get a clear answer on this one way or another despite everything that chimes in being 100% certain they are correct.

I would trust the written document before I would trust

Dec 1, 2019, 8:34 AM

wikipedia. When we were Number 1 we did not pick to go the the Sugar Bowl to play Alabama. You won't find in any article where we did pick. You won't find any year where a school says, "we pick..."

Re: I would trust the written document before I would trust

Dec 1, 2019, 8:39 AM

Believe half what you see and 1/4th what you read.
I learned that in ECON 101
:)

Re: CFP Wikipedia page contradicts that and states that

Dec 1, 2019, 10:11 AM [ in reply to CFP Wikipedia page contradicts that and states that ]

You realize anybody on the planet can edit a Wikipedia page?

Oddly, that makes most of them very accurate***

Dec 1, 2019, 12:47 PM

Dec 1, 2019, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Well maybe they should research a little ]

How does "Preference goes to the #1 seed." fit into the site determination? It's there for a reason but what reason if not for the #1 seed to cite a preference? I am genuinely confused.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 2:12 PM

It means if the same site is better for both #1 and #2, #1 gets priority.

Re: Well, that is not how it was explained on WCCP all last week

Dec 1, 2019, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Well, that is not how it was explained on WCCP all last week ]

The number 1 seed does not find out that they are the #1 seed, much less the match up, until it is announced. How would they be able to choose anything?

Re: nope, the committee picks the sites***

Dec 1, 2019, 8:08 AM [ in reply to nope, the committee picks the sites*** ]

Last year the #1 team got to chose it's preferred playoff venue.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: nope, the committee picks the sites***

Dec 1, 2019, 10:12 AM

Last year the #1 team got to chose it's preferred playoff venue.

No, they didn’t

Re: Nope. Highest seed gets to pick their site.

Dec 1, 2019, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Nope. Highest seed gets to pick their site. ]

The committee assigns the locations for each game. There are no options of picking for the number one seed. The committee takes into consideration the homefeild advantages for each team in the 1 and 4 seeds. The committee will not give home field advantage or and perceived advantages to the number 4 seed as opposed to the number 1 seed.

The common misconception is that the number 1 seed picks their location, which is false. The committee does assign the locations, but %99.9 of the time, it would be the location that the number 1 team would prefer anyway. Thus creating the illusion of the number 1 seed having the option of selection.

The committee will not place the number 1 seed in any disadvantage whatsoever. The committee will give the number 1 seed every perceived advantage in their site placement, as if the number 1 team would have selected the site themselves.

The number 1 seed having the power to select their site is nothing more than an urban legend.

Re: Nope. Highest seed gets to pick their site.

Dec 1, 2019, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Nope. Highest seed gets to pick their site. ]

#1 (whether it is OSU or LSU) will want to play in Atlanta. If #4 is Utah or OK/Baylor, Arizona would be to their advantage so #1 would want Atlanta,

I know we would all love to see Clemson in Atlanta, but I can't see it happening.

Unless Georgia beats LSU (not gonna happen) than all hellbreaks loose and every spot is up for grabs.

Re: So the #2/#3 matchup could be played in Atlanta?

Dec 1, 2019, 7:16 AM

#1 gets to play in a site that is most advantageous to them. Often, that means the site closest to them. However, if that site is very close to their opponent, then they may play in the 2nd site instead. I've heard it thrown about that were UGA to get the 4 seed, then the 1 seed would want to play in Phoenix instead.

Right now, I can't think of a scenario where we play in Atlanta.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Utah makes it in and #1OSt will have to make

Dec 1, 2019, 7:21 AM

Choice between Utah influx in Glendale or Tiger wave in Atlanta.

Wouldn't they be choosing between Utah influx

Dec 1, 2019, 8:29 AM

in Glendale and lack of Utah influx in Atlanta? The opponent would not change.

Utah is irrelevant

Dec 1, 2019, 8:59 AM [ in reply to If Utah makes it in and #1OSt will have to make ]

The only consideration for the #1 team is where they would prefer to play. OSU, LSU and Clemson would all want to play in Atlanta if they were the #1 seed. Once that decision is made, everyone else goes where they're told.

If Utah somehow wins their conference and gets the 4 seed, they'll be flying to ATL no matter what.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:23 AM [ in reply to Re: So the #2/#3 matchup could be played in Atlanta? ]

Put us against Ga in Atl. Fun for all!

The only way we play in ATL, is if both LSU & OhSt lose..

Dec 1, 2019, 9:25 AM

Then we'll jump to #1 and play in ATL. But we wouldn't play UGA, because in that scenario, they would be #2 and play in AZ. We would then probably play LSU or OhSt in ATL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 7:23 AM

I don’t think the seedlings have been assigned to any particular bowl.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ohio State / Utah in Arizona ; Clemson / LSU in Atlanta

Dec 1, 2019, 7:25 AM

Best scenario for the committee and fan interest. Money spread across four conferences.

Ohio State fans still have some bad memories of Glendale, tho.

Dec 1, 2019, 12:41 PM

IF Ohio State were to be #1 AND Georgia were to be #4, the committee could decide Phoenix was the better location because Atlanta would be an undo advantage for Georgia... although like most CFP rules they don't apply them.

I really think they will tray and get the highest market share on TV as the highest priority.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA will not be #4 in any scenario! Lose to LSU & they are out!

Dec 1, 2019, 12:53 PM

Beat LSU and they will be higher than fourth!

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic