Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
needing some ideas from dads. Every night I have my 4 year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

needing some ideas from dads. Every night I have my 4 year

Jul 1, 2015, 8:43 AM

old, I read him a small book or two and he wants me to tell him a couple of stories. Well, I'm running out of ideas. I mostly make them up or tell him a short story I read but I'm limited there. It's hard to tell him about war stories or about stories with monsters (he is going thru that stage where monsters are behind the door, under the bed etc.)or pirates, dinosaurs. Please offer some different topics or and idea and I can go from there.
Thanks,
MfO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My girls were always "tell me a story from when you were

Jul 1, 2015, 8:49 AM

little".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine too....

Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 AM

They especially liked the ones that ended with my parents wearing my butt out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: needing some ideas from dads. Every night I have my 4 year

Jul 1, 2015, 8:53 AM

YES!! Years ago when my kids were small, I would read a story each night to them from "Bible Stories For Children." They learned a lot, and they both turned into strong Christians who love God and are very productive citizens. You can obtain these books and others from any Christian book store.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

take popular movies and turn into kids stories

Jul 1, 2015, 8:56 AM

I've done this with short circuit, jaws, ET and others

Tell him about your experiences at the Valley on football

Jul 1, 2015, 9:16 AM

Saturdays and further instill in him how great it is to be a Clemson Tiger.

After one of my stories, I would get them to tell me a

Jul 1, 2015, 9:26 AM

story, you wouldn't believe what a 4, 5 yr old can come up with.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After one of my stories, I would get them to tell me a

Jul 1, 2015, 9:31 AM

I do that but it is pretty much a carbon copy of mine. It is so funny. and yes, they do have an imagination.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2015, 5:00 PM [ in reply to After one of my stories, I would get them to tell me a ]

I agree 10,000%, and I sometimes tell parents with small children how amazed they will be if they listen to their children without being the one with something always to say. No they don't know everything you read in books. But they have a very working and growing mind that can leave you in an awed state of surprise if you just slow down and listen. They are a h&ll of a lot smarter than most we give them credit for being. There isn't any doubt in my mind, that raising my 2 girls was the best part of my life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2015, 5:54 PM

For me I just use football, as follows:

If she wants to hear a classic "good prevailing over evil" story, I regale her with the mighty Clemson Tigers and their historic century-long dominance over the evil Gamecocks.

If she wants to hear a motivating story about hard work paying off, I tell her about King Dabo and the program he runs, the believers he has in his corner, and the results it has yielded.

If she wants to hear a horror story, I go for the ultra-horrific and recount tales of the Clemson-USC games from 2011, 2012, or 2013. (shudder)

And finally, if she's in the mood for a pure fantasy fairytale, I make up a story about the Coots winning a National Championship! :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grimm's Fairy Tales - Edited!

Jul 1, 2015, 9:28 AM

I have a book with the whole collection (I think there are over a hundred) and used to read one every night to my kids. They're relatively short so perfect for a bedtime story (some are long so I would always look at the length before I picked one).

Some can be scary so you have to do a little editing by previewing the story or editing as you go (or skipping one alltogether).

My kids loved them and would ask me to repeat some of them. I also think it really helped with their vocabulary and love of reading.

I know a fairy tale about this school in Columbia who thinks

Jul 1, 2015, 1:00 PM

it has a football program. It's kind of an unbelievable one though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure if they still publish these anymore, but I'd

Jul 1, 2015, 10:25 AM

suggest one or two excerpts from the Penthouse Forums.

Gotta grow up sometime.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would read Aesop's Fables to my kids.

Jul 1, 2015, 10:27 AM

They loved them and gave us plenty to talk about later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is 4, just how many stories do you need.***

Jul 1, 2015, 10:28 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He is 4, just how many stories do you need.***

Jul 1, 2015, 10:46 AM

it's the quality time I want to spend with him. I only have him 1/2 the time and I want to share stories to help raise him the right way.

Re: He is 4, just how many stories do you need.***

Jul 1, 2015, 4:00 PM

tell him stories about doing the right things. Use him as the main character and create scenarios to create good and bad and the good winning. That could be things he remembers if he is ever in a situation where he needs to make a choice. You could make them funny while teaching at the same time

Growing up, I always loved the story of how Little

Jul 1, 2015, 10:28 AM

Samantha got involved with a human trafficking organization. It has a lot of good life lessons in it, but isn't too graphic...Except when she gets abducted off of the streets of San Juan and becomes a slave for the prince of Saudi Arabia.

Good story to keep them off of drugs, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wayne gets a DUI was another popular one in my family***

Jul 1, 2015, 10:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God, I can't believe Sex and The City is off the air.***

Jul 1, 2015, 10:33 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2015, 11:21 AM

That's an easy one, just use your imagination with the type of character to use, then use your imagination in telling a story of the character. But for your own good, no creepy, ghost, horror, or axeman stories, bc a child's imagination can get out there further than you would think. Make them pleasant imaginary stories of something to sleep on. I made up a monster story for my daughter once, and it haunted her for years into adulthood. And it didn't make any difference to her of how many times I told her that the story wasn't true bc a I made it up. The story was locked in her mind, so be careful!!! My X wife told me once after hearing stories I would tell for my girls, that she wouldn't ever know if I lied to her bc I made those stories sound so believable.:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2015, 11:28 AM

I agree about the horror stories. I'll leave Freddy and Jason out of it. I do try to make up stories about doing good for others and the occassional Bible story. Thanks for the help.

Jul 1, 2015, 11:28 AM

My dad used to read Louis L'amour cowboy books to us. We loved them. I'm nearing my 30th birthday and I still could probably read one and enjoy it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2015, 11:29 AM

His books were easy gifts for my dad. He loved Louis L'amour

Crime-fighting Tiger***

Jul 1, 2015, 11:32 AM

Clemson

I never ran out of "The Big Dumb Chicken" stories...

Jul 1, 2015, 11:44 AM

Take any of the old "Goofus and Galliant" tales or some of the "Curious George and the High Voltage Fence" stories, creating a Capon buffoon as the star character.

Just how much suffering you wish to inflict on the poor schmuck is up to you, but at the end of each end with something like "And THAT'S why you never want to grow up to be a big dumb Chicken ... right honey?"

Works every time!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2015, 3:55 PM

Got a dog? Make up a story about how his dog turns out to be a hero....add color to your story...if your dog runs the water say SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH...when he barks...fake that too.....

that's all i got

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get some card board boxes and build him a fort in his room

Jul 1, 2015, 4:19 PM

or get down on the floor and play cars or play with what ever are his favorite toys. I used to put sleeping bags in the back of my explore and take the kids on what we called a midnight ride even though it was only 8 or 9 pm. They loved that. You are giving him your time and that's what he will remember more than anything else.

Sounds like you are doing a great job!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2015, 4:43 PM

Old Clemson College It Was A Hell of a Place has great Clemson history stories you could work with. Everything from military honor to Gator Farr and the first Gamecock funeral. Quite a few could be used to teach multiple lessons a young Tiger will appreciate and take with them through life.

Mine used to love to hear stories about what I had done....

Jul 1, 2015, 4:45 PM

to get in trouble when I was a kid!

tell them about your childhood and your Father....

Jul 1, 2015, 6:01 PM

things you did together, things you liked, even things that didn't work out.

kids love to see their parents as kids too and as going through the same things they do.

Some of my worst memories became great stories (with careful editing) about how Daddy learned stuff the hard way - it also showed them sometimes just how to deal with life...

oddly enough, I got to put some things away too.

Bible stories and Clemson wins stories.***

Jul 1, 2015, 6:27 PM

How about the girls befor Mom?

Jul 1, 2015, 7:57 PM

Let me know how that works out.

Re: How about the girls befor Mom?

Jul 2, 2015, 7:41 AM

He's not quite ready for those. :)

Many recommend this best seller

Jul 1, 2015, 8:16 PM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1617750255/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_36JSnb0XZ5YEN#reader_1617750255

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic