Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I would love to have Navy and Notre Dame as the final 2 ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

I would love to have Navy and Notre Dame as the final 2 ACC

Oct 19, 2014, 8:34 PM

I would love to have Navy and NotreDame as the final 2 ACC teams. Before you laugh, understand that Navy would be a great fit , and they would help the value of the TV package tremendously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would rather get Penn State than Navy***

Oct 19, 2014, 8:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would rather get Penn State than Navy***

Oct 19, 2014, 8:46 PM

Penn State is on my list, Navy already plays ND every year, and there is a huge National following of the service academy schools that would help with a network national footprint. It would be easier to get ND all the way in , if it was a team already on their schedule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol

Oct 19, 2014, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Would rather get Penn State than Navy*** ]

Nobody's leaving the BIG10 or the SEC. Period!need to get off that Penn St sh#t!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: lol

Oct 19, 2014, 9:08 PM

NAVY HAS A HUGE NATIONAL FOLLOWING?

You are kidding, right?

WWII was a long time ago. Staubach graduated 50 years ago. Navy draws about 30,000 to a game. Their TV draw is not large. Over the past 50 years, Navy ranks 84th in winning percentage. Army and Navy were football schools a long time ago, but not in the modern era.

Sorry, but that ship has sailed.

And the idea the Irish get to call shots is pretty dated.

Harley

Re: lol

Oct 19, 2014, 9:23 PM

> NAVY HAS A HUGE NATIONAL FOLLOWING?
>
> You are kidding, right?
>
> WWII was a long time ago. Staubach graduated 50
> years ago. Navy draws about 30,000 to a game. Their
> TV draw is not large. Over the past 50 years, Navy
> ranks 84th in winning percentage. Army and Navy
> were football schools a long time ago, but not in the
> modern era.
>
> Sorry, but that ship has sailed.
>
> And the idea the Irish get to call shots is pretty
> dated.
>
> Harley

Harley, their home attendance number is not the relevent number when calculating TV value, and more importantly which cable companies etc carry the ACC network.

Penn st could leave the Big 10

Oct 19, 2014, 9:18 PM [ in reply to lol ]

They have more natural rivals in ACC w Pitt/Syracuse etc. They would only join w ND joining in football. ND alone would make the ACC the most geographically popular conference in football and add a sweet NBC deal. Penn St plus ND w a NBC/ESPN/ACC network creation could be much more money then the Big 10 could offer.

Re: I would love to have Navy and Notre Dame as the final 2 ACC

Oct 19, 2014, 8:45 PM

In football i could agree. Puts the conference back in the DC market, but unfortunately, outside of that Navy offers very little else. Honestly, football is not very good and the other sports would be horrible. I think UCONN would be a much better option. While their football needs serious improvement. They are head and shoulders above any other school in the country in what they bring. National championship contenders every year in men and women's basketball. West Virginia would be great, but they are tied to the BIG12 by the Grant of Rights.

Yep, I've been wanting to burn a couch without being...

Oct 19, 2014, 8:58 PM

ashamed for years. I always thought my sisters were pretty hot too. WVa would be a good fit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2014, 8:49 PM

I agree with ND and I understand why you chose Navy as the other team. I'd replace Navy with WVU. Before anyone on the boards flip sh!t at WVU just understand why I chose them. Geographically they are a good fit. They have a very devoted fan base (even though they are bat sh!t crazy and I never understood why they feel the need to burn couches). It would make me happy to watch the Tigers stomp them year after year. Lastly they are a well coached team that would bring another good tough team to the ACC.

need public university with enthusiastic fanbase

Oct 19, 2014, 8:49 PM

ACC has too many small private schools with limited backing, like BC, Wake, Duke and Miami. Attendance is awful. Navy adds nothing and I understand its a great Academy.

Re: need public university with enthusiastic fanbase

Oct 19, 2014, 8:55 PM

WV or UCF.

WV

Oct 19, 2014, 9:03 PM

Gets my vote too... yes, we all know the negatives of WV but from a football standpoint they bring "it." And we need of the "it" and less of the small, non caring schools that are more concerned with basketball and baseball. WV is a good geographic fit and would already have rivals in the conference. With WV we would actually have several football schools and could split into north south divisions or big east/acc divisions. Plus, we need to play them and get revenge. I think that if the ACC could get Nd to become a full time member, they could convince WV to join.

Oct 19, 2014, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: need public university with enthusiastic fanbase ]

The ACC already has 5 private schools, BC, Duke, WF, Miami, and Syracuse. The SEC has one, Vanderbilt. The Big Ten has one, Northwestern. The Big 12 has two, Baylor and TCU. The PAC 12 has two, Stanford and the real USC.
Although Navy is a great public academic institution, the ACC
does not need another school with a small attendance base.

Oct 19, 2014, 9:19 AM

> The ACC already has 5 private schools, BC, Duke, WF,
> Miami, and Syracuse. The SEC has one, Vanderbilt.
> The Big Ten has one, Northwestern. The Big 12 has
> s two, Baylor and TCU. The PAC 12 has two, Stanford
> and the real USC.
> Although Navy is a great public academic institution,
> the ACC
> does not need another school with a small attendance
> base.

Navy brings crowds to the away games (just an FYI). It might be surprising but there are a ton mor football fans that would have an interset in seeing a game at Clemson versus Navy than Duke , BC, or Wake..

The money they would get would allow them to compete well in the O;ympic sports. WV sold their soul to the devil with the deal to land in the Big 12. They are the single biggest loser in the conference expansion stuff "at this point".

They counted on the the dominos falling (FSU , Clemson , etc). Leaving the Big 12 would cost them 5 times what it is costing the twerps to get out of the ACC.

Think about it this way. What happened to WVU , is exactly what happened to USUC when they left the ACC. Lamecocks were sure that Clemson and Maryland were leaving as well. THey jumped the gun, and got hung out to dry as an Independent and a Conference USA member,

14 teams is more than enough. Don't see why it's so

Oct 19, 2014, 8:54 PM

important to have ND as a full-timer. We'll already play them more than we do nearly half the teams in the league as it is.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because we have them in every other sport

Oct 19, 2014, 9:20 PM

And 16 is better than 14. Can go to a 4 pods of 4 system instead of two divisions of 7 where we play cross divisional opponents once every 7 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I don't really want pods OR divisions***

Oct 19, 2014, 9:44 PM

Re: I don't really want pods OR divisions***

Oct 19, 2014, 9:49 PM

If there was any small chance of getting Penn State, that ended with the Big Ten adding Maryland and Rutgers. Penn State's primary recruiting territory is Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and Ohio. That's all Big Ten now. There is zero chance they would leave.

Pods not allowed by NCAA rules. Must be two divisions

Oct 19, 2014, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Because we have them in every other sport ]

to hold a conference championship game.

Re: Pods not allowed by NCAA rules. Must be two divisions

Oct 19, 2014, 10:10 PM

Yes but the NCAA no longer enforces its own rules , so PODS !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

That's why the ACC is petitioning for a rule modification…***

Oct 19, 2014, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Pods not allowed by NCAA rules. Must be two divisions ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: That's why the ACC is petitioning for a rule modification…***

Oct 19, 2014, 11:17 PM

ND won't join the ACC. Their faculty and alumni wouldn't allow it.

If they were ever forced to join a conference in would be the Big 10. The Big 10 and ND are like that couple who continually breaks up and attacks each other, but deep down still kind of want each other.

The faculty already voted to join the Big 10 academically once, but then the alumni found out and screamed. they backed out.

Their alumni associates with the Midwest and their highest rated TV games are when they play Big 10 teams.

The current ACC deal is favorable to them though. the Big 10 would never do that for them.

If ND ever joins,Navy will be the one coming with them.

Oct 19, 2014, 8:58 PM

That deal has already been made with ND.

Re: If ND ever joins,Navy will be the one coming with them.

Oct 19, 2014, 9:25 PM

Why Navy ? Prestige ?
They are fun to watch against Army , but the strength o'schedule in the ACC needs to strengthen , not fall even lower.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: If ND ever joins,Navy will be the one coming with them.

Oct 19, 2014, 9:33 PM

> Why Navy ? Prestige ?
> They are fun to watch against Army , but the strength
> o'schedule in the ACC needs to strengthen , not fall
> even lower.

Jeepers, did not think , I would have to explain this.

NotreDame = Catholics all over the place , or people married to catholics , or people that used to be catholic etc. They draw on a base significantly larger than Alumni.

Navy = Military people everywhere, or people married to military people, or people that used to be in the military, and etc.... They draw on a base significantly larger than Alumni.

Of the service academies only Navy is "close enough" to competitive to make the cut. Geography is king in the TV access sales world...it isn't a difficult concept.

I am not sure why people do not at least see the logic of the argumen, but to call it silly is...well, silly. :)

Heard the same. ND and Navy are joined at the hip as far

Oct 19, 2014, 9:36 PM [ in reply to If ND ever joins,Navy will be the one coming with them. ]

as joining a conference goes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2014, 9:15 PM

Navy?!

Heck no! We already have enough crappy teams with horrible fanbases..ND is never, ever joining a conference so forget that. WV, although not the ideal sch

Oct 19, 2014, 9:22 PM

Navy?? Don't they still run the triple option also? No thanks - one GaTech on our schedule is enough. I'm not even sure about ND anymore. If they're in they're in, if not they're not. Like I was telling my friend - its like when you're hooking up with a girl you're kind of ashamed of. "yea, yea - we're dating. Just don't tell anyone that you and I are dating - but we are dating, I promise.."

What about like UCF or something?

Oct 19, 2014, 9:34 PM

Why would you want Navy?

I would take Central Florida and South Florida ...

Oct 19, 2014, 9:42 PM

really put pressure on SEC recruiting in Florida.

Geez do yall not want better for the ACC than to be

Oct 19, 2014, 10:13 PM

stuck in a conference with the likes of football programs like Navy and mid major directional programs like UCF,USF and ECU.

Re: Geez do yall not want better for the ACC than to be

Oct 19, 2014, 10:22 PM

I like ECU. The other, no.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic