Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, coworker got married in Atlanta a few days ago.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 459

So, coworker got married in Atlanta a few days ago.

Oct 31, 2018, 10:49 AM

The Pastor told him that he and the wife didn't need to sign the marriage license. Is he living in sin?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say that the pastor did him a huge solid

Oct 31, 2018, 10:54 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Worse

Oct 31, 2018, 10:54 AM

he spent time in Atlanta

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

it gets worse

Oct 31, 2018, 11:03 AM

now he's married, too

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No signature no deal

Oct 31, 2018, 11:08 AM

probably the best part of his weekend

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess that all depends on the deity.

Oct 31, 2018, 10:59 AM

Speaking for Mothra...they are living in sin EVEN if they signed the license and yet still failed to sacrifice a goat, cover themselves in the goat blood, and dance naked on the courthouse steps while covered in the blood of said aforementioned dead goat.

I mean, every religion is different, you know.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what denomination was the pastor?***

Oct 31, 2018, 11:02 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Run in to that more often than you would think

Oct 31, 2018, 11:10 AM

I'd wager there are 10,000+ people in SC who THINK they're married, but technically are not LEGALLY married. Around 2% would be my estimate based on experience. Extrapolate that out to however many people are married in SC.

Rule of thumb (in SC anyway) is after the honeymoon or whatever, GO TO THE COURTHOUSE. Go to the county probate court. Get a CERTIFIED COPY of your marriage license. When they place that sealed and certified marriage license in your hand, you're married. Without doing this, you are running a risk that can cause people like me (or your surviving spouse) BIG headaches years down the road.

Here's how the process works, FYI. You go to the probate court and APPLY for a marriage license. I think there's a wait of at least 48 hours before the signed ceremony affidavit can be returned. BUT, when you're at the church or wherever, and you sign that affidavit, and the preacher/notary/whoever signs it, DO NOT keep a copy of that document and think you're married. You're not. That document MUST be returned to the probate court (church usually does this). Once the ceremony affidavit is received by the probate court, you're married. IF the church fails for some reason to deliver the documents to the probate court, you're NOT MARRIED. The probate court can not issue a license until the ceremony affidavit is returned. Otherwise, they only keep a record of your APPLICATION. They can't issue a certified license.

ALSO, if you get a divorce and remarry, make sure you have a final certified copy of the divorce decree. The date on the very last page where the family court judge signs the decree, THAT is the date of your divorce. You CAN NOT legally marry a second time until AFTER that date. If the family court clerk tells you the judge will sign it tomorrow, DO NOT assume he will. He may come down with the flu and miss a few days. Have that final decree in hand, signed and dated by the judge, before getting married a second time. Some people are anxious and can't wait. WAIT until you have the document.

South Carolina is backwards in this respect, and in fact counties that border Georgia, etc. have a little cottage industry going with marriage licenses. See, in other states (like Georgia), when you apply for a marriage license and indicate it's your 2nd, 3rd, or whatever marriage, the probate courts in Georgia REQUIRE documentation proving ALL prior marriages ended (that's either a divorce decree or a death certificate). One of the highlights of my job is confirming a marriage. It's something I would not even need to do in Georgia, but it is needed in SC. First I get a copy of the license. THEN I get copies of death certificates or divorce decrees ending all prior marriages (for both parties). THEN you're married. In SC. But you can get married 2,3,4 times or more in the same county even, without ever getting a divorce. They just take you at your word. lol

Anyway, end of PSA. Carry on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you're saying there's a chance

Oct 31, 2018, 11:12 AM

null

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

Yes. If you don't have a certified copy of your marriage

Oct 31, 2018, 11:22 AM

license from the county probate court, there IS a chance you're not married. 75 year old southern baptist man in Greer's wife died. They'd been married 50 years. First and only marriage for both. Had 2.3 kids. Regular Ozzy and Harriet family if there was one. Husband's brother was a baptist preacher and did the ceremony in 1960 something.

Asked guy for a copy of his marriage license. Said he never got one. He didn't think it was important. No big deal, I'll go get a copy at the courthouse. Go to the Spartanburg County Probate Court. The clerk informs me they can not issue a license. All they have is a record of the application. The ceremony affidavit was never filed (husband's own BROTHER didn't file it). Meanwhile, in the past 50 years his brother who did the ceremony died. He's not legally married and can't get the insurance benefits. Guy is left with two options, and he chose the easier one luckily. Option 1 is to get a lawyer, and petition the Probate Court to rule the couple were married under common law. That is a HUGE pain. Other option was to have his sister-in-law sign an affidavit confirming she attended and witnessed the ceremony and the signature. Guy ended up getting a license and the benefits. But he lived 50 years never being legally married and had no clue.

That's why you get a copy for yourself from the courthouse. If they place that license in your hand at the courthouse, you're married. Congrats (or not). Oh, unless your prior divorce was not signed by the judge until after the wedding ceremony. Other way you can not be married. Or you never bothered ending that prior marriage.

Like I said, I'd wager there are well over 10,000 people married in SC who are not legally married. Anyone know a legislator in Columbia and want a good bill to introduce....introduce a bill that makes SC probate courts do what they do in GA, VA, and most other states.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Surprising they lasted that long

Oct 31, 2018, 11:38 AM

with a third of a kid. Had to be a real strain on that marriage

I think that average number has dropped. It's dated.***

Oct 31, 2018, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the insight, I did the ole copy pasta for him.

Oct 31, 2018, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Yes. If you don't have a certified copy of your marriage ]

Also told him he's good in the eyes of the Lord so that the ultra conservatives (they met at Bob Jones) didn't lose their ####.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what the southern baptist guy said to me

Oct 31, 2018, 12:07 PM

He never cared about the license. Didn't matter to him. ;) And that's fine. But if you want $400K in insurance benefits, you better be married in the eyes of the law too.

Again, SC REALLY needs to get in step with other states.

Re: Yes. If you don't have a certified copy of your marriage

Oct 31, 2018, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Yes. If you don't have a certified copy of your marriage ]

Could you prove common law marriage?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure. It takes a probate court hearing, in front of a judge

Oct 31, 2018, 5:11 PM

and a lawyer.

If you're poor, it's harder because you will lack most of the documents that would help. Tax returns (married/single), joint checking accounts, credit cards in both names, lease or mortgage in both names, car financed or titled in both names, any joint property ownership, life insurance, health insurance coverage, all of those things, if you have a good job and $$$, help. Otherwise, it takes a train of witnesses usually to confirm they they thought they were married, they introduced themselves to others as husband and wife, etc. Really messy and difficult. But it can be done. With that order from the probate judge, the insurance benefits will be paid. A Worker's Comp commissioner also has the authority to make that legal determination, but they heavily prefer common law issues be handled in the probate court. It's not really their area of expertise if the truth be known, and they would prefer the probate court handle it.

lol...re-marriage***

Oct 31, 2018, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Run in to that more often than you would think ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With divorce running a muck, why bother?***

Oct 31, 2018, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Run in to that more often than you would think ]

TIL that tiggity

Oct 31, 2018, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Run in to that more often than you would think ]

is NOT a fan of bigamy

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, I've never heard of anyone prosecuted.

Oct 31, 2018, 1:20 PM

In fact, I've never run into anyone married to two women concurrently and sleeping and/or living with both. I think for it to be criminal, you have to be living with both women/men/whatever.

Have found men married, who spend weeks at a time with another woman, then weeks at a time back with their wife. But he wasn't married to both.

My only problem really is how slack SC is with marriage licenses.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

Who would get divorced and then remarry within a month or so???

Oct 31, 2018, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Run in to that more often than you would think ]

My Gf now wants to get married, she has never been married so I understand it’s important to her, but me after all the shiat I went through in divorce wish I could just put a ring on it and say we are but never file.

I’m still fighting this good fight although I am sure I will lose this battle eventually. I have asked about just a ring and a ceremony on the beach but no signing; no dice. Now I’m at the point where I am just saying I will marry u but it’s gonna be a while, like “how long can we just be enagaged, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years?”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, don't wanna get hitched, bring up prenup stuff and

Oct 31, 2018, 3:27 PM

how she won't get jack. That'll buy you some time.

need a pig of said wife to make a proper judgement***

Oct 31, 2018, 3:22 PM

Replies: 22
| visibility 459
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic