Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
my take on Brownell/Sapp situation...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,117

my take on Brownell/Sapp situation...

Dec 4, 2012, 8:37 AM

I will say this about Coach Brownell, he is going to demand your 100% all the time or you are not going to step on the floor for him. I recall some times early in his time here, that he sat Demontez Stitt out early in some games because he wasnt giving complete effort. Last year, when we saw the emergence of Coleman, someone asked Brownell why he hasnt been playing more, and he very simply said that he was putting forth the effort he needed in practice, therefore he got to play more.

With the Sapp situation, I think he is a great kid who had a good work ethic. He just never hit his stride as a player here at Clemson. He came in with expectations of being a 3pt/mid range shooter and I think he really lacked confidence despite Brownell trying to work with him and continue to play him through his struggles.

With the emergence of Filer, Roper, and Harrison, I think Sapp kind of saw the writing on the wall. I think the final straw to his decision to go somewhere else came early in the game on Sunday when he shot an inadvertant 3 pointer and then had a lazy foul on the other end within the first 30 seconds of the game. After that, he only played 6 minutes.

I hate to see him go, but i think he can have a bright future at another school, maybe somewhere closer to home in Florida. I think, ultimately, we will be in good shape moving forward with Filer, Roper, and Harrison (and Coleman in place of Harrison next year).

If this team can coninute to have success, it will be a masterful job by this coaching staff to hold things together after all this team has been through in the first month of the season. Especially as young as we are.

That is all,
Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my take on Brownell/Sapp situation...good analysis - agree!***

Dec 4, 2012, 8:42 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree

Dec 4, 2012, 8:46 AM

I believe 95% of his decision is playing time (this year and forward). He saw his mintues getting cut into, by players younger than him.

The other 5% is probably a combination of being closer to home, not wanting to work harder to get the mintues he wanted, and wanting to play a different "brand" of basketball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my take on Brownell/Sapp situation...needs to toughen up

Dec 4, 2012, 9:07 AM

too! I am so impressed at toughness of Hall and Filer esp.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my take on Brownell/Sapp situation...

Dec 4, 2012, 9:34 AM

I love Brownell, but i will disagree on your first point. With the exception of the last two games, Devin Booker has loafed up and down the court in every game of his career. He's made these awful nonchilant passes too. And he never sits. While that's not brownells fault, he could do something about it. Booker has hustled more since his family issue, which a wish him the best of luck. Other than that your post is 100% correct

The problem with booker is...

Dec 4, 2012, 10:12 AM

He is the most experienced inside player on the team, and he can be a little lazy I suppose in that regard because we can't afford to play without him getting a lot of minutes. Especially when the ACC schedule starts up, he's been there before and we can know what to expect, the younger guys not so much...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem with booker is...

Dec 4, 2012, 10:25 AM

Plus Booker at 80% is better than our other post players at 100%. Our other big guys have got to continue to work hard and develop so that Booker will be forced to hustle all the time not just after dunks and/or blocked shots.

How much of this is because of Trevor?

Dec 4, 2012, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: my take on Brownell/Sapp situation... ]

Look I agree with you to an extent about Devin, but if you (and the rest of us) did not know his brother, would we bash him this hard?

I think not.

Good analysis

Dec 4, 2012, 9:46 AM

I would say that Filer, Harrison, and maybe even roper are better than Sapp at this point and also have a higher upside. Sapp would have to work his tail off to get into the lineup consistently and maybe he didn't think it was worth it. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up

I think it's all about PT. Clemson wound up with quite a few

Dec 4, 2012, 10:34 AM

good players at his position. He's good enough to be a full-time starter and major contributor for a team that is less crowded or less talented at that position. I don't blame him and I wish him well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yep. He isn't getting 30 plus minutes a game here. He is

Dec 4, 2012, 10:38 AM

a good player, but has exhibited nothing to command that type of playtime.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,117
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic