Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
my problem with Brady and the GOAT designation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,688

my problem with Brady and the GOAT designation

Jan 26, 2018, 3:54 PM

I am admittedly biased because I can't stand the Patriots or the smug Brady.

If you go back and watch some of the NFL films from the 70's and the rules they had back then and insert Brady into those playing conditions, there is no way he lasts 5 seasons. He is so coddled by the refs and pitches a fit if someone touches him. Watching some of the hits that Staubach, Bradshaw and others used to take and try and imagine Brady absorbing that for very long. Then imagine some of the all time great QB's playing under today's rules. If you factor in the receivers not getting beheaded every time they came over the middle how much better would their stats be? How much more prolific would their offenses have been with the "defenseless receiver" rules in place?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: my problem with Brady and the GOAT designation

Jan 26, 2018, 3:57 PM

So yes vote for GOAT or no GOAT vote , for you ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 26, 2018, 5:05 PM

Everyone has their opinion and mine is opposite of yours. Brady, though conceited like many NFL stars, is a brilliant QB and is the main reason they have won so much. He has not had that superstar receiver for a long period like other QB's have had. His receivers were undersized but had quickness and knew how to get open.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2018, 6:50 PM

Well , he's no Elvis Grbac ....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

reverse is also true

Jan 26, 2018, 5:21 PM

How successful would Bradshaw, Staubach, et all be in today's NFL?

Regardless you can only really go on stats, playoff success, surrounding cast, durability, and other factors.

Brady is the GOAT. End of discussion. It's not even close to arguable.

And I am not a Brady fan nor a Pats fan.

Re: reverse is also true

Jan 26, 2018, 6:04 PM

Thank you. Why would anybody think Brady couldn't handle what those QBs did? Athletes are bigger, faster, and stronger now a days too btw.

I would also add that today's passing game is built

Jan 26, 2018, 6:17 PM

around timing and precision of routes, throws, etc. This combined with more parity and better OL blocking schemes/techniques also make it more difficult for a front 4 to simply dominate games.

One of the reasons great QBs tend to avoid big hits today is that the ball simply is gone much faster. That, and they seem to run far less due to the sophistication of offenses, route trees, and the improved ability for QBs to read progressions.

Nobody has been allowed to hit Brady or his pansy-

Jan 26, 2018, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: reverse is also true ]

###-ed little receivers like this:
https://youtu.be/fYm5ZJXBo84

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: Nobody has been allowed to hit Brady or his pansy-***

Jan 26, 2018, 6:56 PM

Re: Nobody has been allowed to hit Brady or his pansy-

Jan 26, 2018, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Nobody has been allowed to hit Brady or his pansy- ]

So hits like this dont count?

https://youtu.be/cVXEw92Z-Kg

Good find, from his first season on a choice to run downfield. Read this:

Jan 26, 2018, 7:19 PM

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/09/_1994_nfl_rules_how_a_series_of_pass_friendly_changes_saved_a_moribund_league.html

The rules that came out in 1994 protecting late hits on the QB (after the pass) and allowing the receivers to run free after 5 yards is what made his career. He had complete control over whether he decided to take off and run on 3rd and 17 in his first year as a starter in 2001. As a veteran he’s learned from that mistake.

Re: Good find, from his first season on a choice to run downfield. Read this:

Jan 27, 2018, 9:54 AM

Lmao dude how much of a hater can you be?? What did Brady ever do to you? Just because the rules change on late hits to help prevent injury does not mean he couldn't have played before then and been just as good. I am not a Pats fan but dang dude you have to admit greatness when you see it. He is the best QB of our age for sure and you would have a hard time arguing anybody ever was better. He has done all this with no name WRs or with great WRs out of their prime. You can say it is the team if you want but he has the most come back drives of all time so that proves it is not just the team. He is the goat.

Re: Nobody has been allowed to hit Brady or his pansy-

Jan 26, 2018, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Nobody has been allowed to hit Brady or his pansy- ]

https://youtu.be/vACHJc0C0eU

What about this one?

no... he's not, because there is no greatest of all time...

Jan 26, 2018, 6:25 PM [ in reply to reverse is also true ]

in football. it is too much of a team sport to even try to call one player the greatest of all time... there are too many factors to consider that does not allow equal comparisons...

as much as I would consider Barry Sanders the greatest running back of all time, and say that if you flip Emmitt Smith to Detroit and turn Barry loose with those Dallas teams that Emmitt ran with, Emmitt would not have lasted 5 years in the league and Barry would have run for 2000 yards 3 or 4 seasons, it is still just my opinion not based on any facts.

do championships mean the GOAT?? maybe, maybe not. do stats mean the GOAT?? maybe, maybe not. how about categorical records?? maybe, maybe not.

the GOAT thing is overrated primarily because of recency bias

and lastly, remove Brady ten years from the game and he will be considered the greatest about as much as we still consider Montana to be the greatest, or as much as Unitas was considered the greatest when Montana was in his prime... Lawrence Taylor made people forget #### Butkus, Ray Lewis has made people forget Lawrence Taylor... Walter Payton made people forget Jim Brown and Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith made people forget Jim Brown and Gale Sayers

GOAT makes for lively debate, but rarely a definitive conclusion...

Staubach, in my opinion would do very well

Jan 26, 2018, 6:34 PM [ in reply to reverse is also true ]

He is the original duel threat QB. Look at that joker run with the FB and his touch on a deep ball was impeccable.

Re: my problem with Brady and the GOAT designation***

Jan 26, 2018, 5:29 PM

Jan 26, 2018, 6:55 PM

Did you catch Romo polishing Brady's trophy last Sunday ?
That was hard to get through .

At one point I heard Romo humming a Bette Midler tune .

DB23

Jan 26, 2018, 7:13 PM

Tony needs to learn that fewer words are better sometimes ..... actually most of the time!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2018, 7:25 PM

Romo?

not a pats fan, but

Jan 26, 2018, 7:24 PM

tom brady is the best - and the only one who can be debated in the discussion is montana. the end.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: not a pats fan, but

Jan 26, 2018, 8:53 PM

100% agree! It’s subjective. NFL was a whole different monster in the 70’s- early 90’s. It’s taken Brady all these years to accomplish what Montana did in half the time. Yeah he had the likes of Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott and Ken Norton, but they were playing against the likes of Troy Aikman, Dan Marino, Emmit Smith, Walter Payton, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Dion Sanders and the list goes on and on. Brady would not have lasted this long back then.

Jan 27, 2018, 9:29 AM

I have watched Brady live at Gillette Stadium for every AFC championship home game that he has played in. I have lived the drama. I have watched him do what he has to do to win the games. I have watched Coach Belichick put together great defenses from eclectic groups of defensive players. I doubted their greatness for years. I cannot doubt anymore. GOAT and GOAT.

This poast earns 4 (out of 5) "Get off my lawn"s***

Jan 27, 2018, 9:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,688
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic