Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does the fact that Ali was protesting against his country mean anything?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Does the fact that Ali was protesting against his country mean anything?

Jun 7, 2016, 12:06 AM

If I was black man in 60s/70s I would have serious issues with "serving my country" when laws kept me from voting, the KKK was up my ###, and everything door open to me was around the back.

Do any of you white men have any perspective on that? What were they dying for? It sure as #### wasn't freedom or opportunity. It was for white freedom and white opportunity.

Give it a rest on Ali being a draft dodger.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my family is black and we couldn't stand Clay/Ali. You have no idea what you are talking about...

Jun 7, 2016, 12:17 AM

My Father served in Korea and my Grandfather served when segregation still existed. If Cassius didn't like this country, there were plenty of other places he could move to weren't there.

I feel so fortunate that my ancestors came here and survived the struggles that they did for me to be an American. Is our nation perfect? No, of course not but it's the best place in the world and truly is exceptional.
You don't have a clue what your talking about and quit trying to act like you know how anyone else feels. As the great Ken Hamblin said in his book "Pick a better Country". Clay was a punk and he nor Al Sharpton or Jesse Jax represent me or any of my people.

So you speak for all black people now EXyankee?

Jun 7, 2016, 12:30 AM

You grew up under segregation and were taught to run from the Confederate flag? And kudos to your family members. But don't disrepect a man because he had conviction to follow through on his beliefs.

You do realize the country was founded through protest...

Jun 7, 2016, 6:53 AM [ in reply to my family is black and we couldn't stand Clay/Ali. You have no idea what you are talking about... ]

Our ancestors didn't want to serve their country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Now we're talking

Jun 7, 2016, 8:23 AM [ in reply to my family is black and we couldn't stand Clay/Ali. You have no idea what you are talking about... ]

Preach on. This country is for veterans only, all you other scaredy cats pack your bags. Let the sausage party begin.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i am not black but I think u drank too much milk ..***

Jun 7, 2016, 8:31 AM [ in reply to my family is black and we couldn't stand Clay/Ali. You have no idea what you are talking about... ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Is that you Navin?

Jun 7, 2016, 9:00 AM [ in reply to my family is black and we couldn't stand Clay/Ali. You have no idea what you are talking about... ]

Tell mama I said, 'Hi.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is that you Navin?

Jun 7, 2016, 12:03 PM

+1 for Navin!!! I wonder how many on here will even get the reference? ROFL

Re: my family is black and we couldn't stand Clay/Ali.

Jun 7, 2016, 9:23 AM [ in reply to my family is black and we couldn't stand Clay/Ali. You have no idea what you are talking about... ]

you comments are interesting. I have often wondered if there arent many who feel that way about these so called spokesmen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and you're not.***

Jun 7, 2016, 9:41 AM [ in reply to my family is black and we couldn't stand Clay/Ali. You have no idea what you are talking about... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I got drafted right now to go to The Middle East I would be in Canada

Jun 7, 2016, 9:56 AM

I support our troops for risking their lives and our special forces are pretty bad@$$ but it was hologram planes on 911 projected from a B2 bomber that hit the world trade. Just google 911 holograms. Think for a second, a solid metal 747 hits a solid steel frame World Trade Center and just disappears into it in one peace with no signs of the plane in the wreckage? The physics don't add up, other countries are starting to call our leaders out.

LOL as if you have any training in physics at all

Jun 7, 2016, 9:59 AM

past high school

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whether I agree with his reasons or not, he was pursuing a

Jun 7, 2016, 12:32 AM

conscientious status, a right granted by the US since its formation. Our Supreme Court agreed with him in a unanimous vote. He was in full compliance with our laws. That is really all I need to know. Race should not be an issue in this, for Ali or anyone else. CS status was not sought or granted on basis of race.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Typo: CO status***

Jun 7, 2016, 12:41 AM

Well said.**

Jun 7, 2016, 1:05 AM

nm

funny, he was happy to fight for America in the Olympics

Jun 7, 2016, 2:41 AM

and get his Gold Medal.

he didn't seem to be against wearing the Flag when it helped raise his personal profile

and give him an opportunity to make money in a sport.

"I'll beat 'em up, but I don't want to kill 'em."

Jun 7, 2016, 3:49 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9kTAz-cc0Q

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "I'll beat 'em up, but I don't want to kill 'em."

Jun 7, 2016, 9:26 AM

thanks for a remider how funny George was

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: funny, he was happy to fight for America in the Olympics

Jun 7, 2016, 10:14 AM [ in reply to funny, he was happy to fight for America in the Olympics ]

You don't know squat. He threw that gold medal in the river. Try reading his biography, if you really have any interest in him and knowing what you are talking about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and yet everyone calls him a Gold Medal winner - typical lib

Jun 7, 2016, 11:55 AM

all of you, just like Ali, want to have it both ways.

The point wasn't about the medal anyway - it was about him taking the opportunity to represent America, to be a part of the Olympic team and thus wrapping himself in the flag so long as it benefitted him.

He did not have to fight in the Olympics to have a boxing career. Did it help? Certainly.

But most boxers don't go that route, and their careers - money, titles and fame - are ultimately defined by what they do in the ring.

Ali took the opportunity because that's exactly what he was ultimately about - raising his image.

"The Greatest" - bull squat - while he was kind to those he cared about,

he was also a manipulator, a liar, a womanizer, and was obviously not a friend of those in the military.

What I would love to see would be letters written by him while in prison to soldiers actually serving in Vietnam, showing them his personal support, giving them the benefit of his benevolent nature and faith, doing what he could even as a pacifist to support our troops regardless his political stance. Not handy? Thought not....

Re: and yet everyone calls him a Gold Medal winner - typical lib

Jun 7, 2016, 12:26 PM

Based on your baseball posts I'm not really surprised you don't understand the difference between a sports event and war.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Actually...

Jun 7, 2016, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: funny, he was happy to fight for America in the Olympics ]

he later admitted that story wasn't true and he just lost the medal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does the fact that Ali was protesting against his country mean anything?

Jun 7, 2016, 4:22 AM

Proud of Ali. Proud of our current players. I hope that we become the representation of excellence and acceptance.

Jun 7, 2016, 7:47 AM

I personally think he used religion not to go and fight when there were black and whites who fought alongside each other and died, gave up their life so Ali can "voice" his beliefs. Sure he served, but it was "his time" and not "time" for his country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My father served his country in WW2

Jun 7, 2016, 8:16 AM

Had an 8th grade education, became a pipe-fitter, he and mom put 4 children thru college.
He was not a celebrity, although he did play in Cardinals farm system for a few years, and he certainly did not dodge the draft.
He was a hero to me...

Are you a vanilla face?***

Jun 7, 2016, 8:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2016, 8:32 AM

" It was for white freedom and white opportunity. "

I had no idea South Vietnam was full of us evil white people

Kill whitey

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Not really, not to me. I protested the government...

Jun 7, 2016, 8:54 AM

during tax season for half a century. Clay followed elijah muhammad who declared open season on Malcolm X after X left the fold. OKing a killing based on religious affiliation is quite unAmerican, imo. Clay was fine with killing Americans but protested killing Communist? No matter how what perspective you have that is effed up.

You young folks shouldn't get your history from news and entertainment sources. It makes you appear willfully ignorant to those who lived during the history of some of these topics we discuss.

Use your library skills instead of believing what MSNBC and Fox says. Neither are commissioned to deliver truth, they are for entertainment only.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2016, 8:57 AM

You are only about 90% incorrect. He was and is. Sorry, you can't change history. I was a witness to it. Were you ?

Jun 7, 2016, 8:59 AM

I had a chance to go see Ali speak when I was in college. His message was horrible. He said God was black and whites were evil.

What a shame to have a 90% white audience and have an opportunity for a unifying message and instead do just the opposite. Oh yes, the religion of peace. Shame shame.

##### does Ali have to do with TIGER FOOTBALL????***

Jun 7, 2016, 9:01 AM

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

He didn't get recruited because he was ranked 374th in...

Jun 7, 2016, 9:05 AM

his class academically?

Is this a riddle?

Jun 7, 2016, 9:26 AM [ in reply to ##### does Ali have to do with TIGER FOOTBALL????*** ]

They both started going down (The) Hill in the 60's?

AmIrite?

Given that the Confederate traitors went to war to keep

Jun 7, 2016, 9:35 AM

African Americans as slaves, don't expect much sympathy for your view from their descendants who cling to that heritage.

Re: Given that the Confederate traitors went to war to keep

Jun 7, 2016, 9:52 AM

So you're saying Ali was a traitor since he also went against his country?

Did he turn his guns on his fellow Americans to enslave

Jun 7, 2016, 10:07 AM

African Americans?

Did you take any argument/logic classes at Clemson?

Re: Did he turn his guns on his fellow Americans to enslave

Jun 7, 2016, 12:03 PM

Yes that is the only reason the war was fault.

Good lord you are worse than TK79 with the race baiting.

it is quite pathetic. Not everyone is racist.

Read the Harvard study on The Political Legacy of Slavery

Jun 7, 2016, 2:42 PM

that was released earlier this year and how it affects modern day feelings about politics and race.

Very enlightening, though hardly surprising. You may want to start with the Abstract and The Conclusion.

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/msen/files/slavery.pdf

Booker T Washington quoted

Jun 7, 2016, 9:58 AM

“There is another class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. ... Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs ... There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don’t want the patient to get well.”

you dont understand

Jun 7, 2016, 10:01 AM

Ali was a great athlete. He was the greatest boxer of all time IMO, however Ali protested the war because of his alignment with the nation of islam. Even the Islamic religion doesn't recognize them as one of them. The Nation of Islam is listed a hate group. They preach black power and are known as black separatists. They believe that black people were the majority race until an "evil" scientist created "devils" known as white people. People keep on talkin about Ali being a lover of all people and didn't want to go to war because of his Islamic belief don't understand the fact that he was a part of a pretty big hate group. He was racist! I'm not saying his beliefs couldn't or didn't change over time but during that time he was apart of a racist organization and that is why he didn't want to go to fight with white people.

Later Ali converted to Sunni Islam. Some notorious Sunnis for you- Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden.

Look as an Athlete there might not be anyone better, but as an American I question his devotion to us. From aligning with a known hate group to later converting to a religion that absolutely despises the infidel.

You're confused on so many levels.**

Jun 7, 2016, 10:11 AM

nm

you have any points to back it up?

Jun 7, 2016, 10:14 AM

I studied Religion. I have a masters in religion. If I know anything its religion. I might not know a lot about draft dodging or politics, but I can put 2 and 2 together by looking at who Ali aligned himself with and know that he was not "allin"

now if I'm confused bc Ali wasn't the greatest athlete, then you sir are confused bc Ali was "the greatest of all time"

so now to your points?

You make an interesting point implying that Trump voters are

Jun 7, 2016, 10:22 AM

racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, homophobic religious bigots.

yea

Jun 7, 2016, 10:24 AM

I don't support Trump!

I would rather not vote than vote for Trump or Hillary for that matter.

and maybe you are too smart for me (or just an idiot) but I have no idea where you are trying to go with your comment.

Let me explain.

Jun 7, 2016, 10:31 AM

You said the Nation of Islam was racist. Ali was a supporter of the Nation of Islam. Therefore Ali was a racist.

Trump is a racist, xenophobic, misogynistic homophobic religious bigot. Therefore, Trump supporters are racist, xenophobic, misogynistic religious bigots.

Pretty simple and straightforward.

Not every post is an opotunity for you to inject

Jun 7, 2016, 10:35 AM

Your political drivel.

Religions and politicians are not equal. And Trump talk has nothing to do with this topic. Move on back to the politics board please.

Aren't you tired of political correctness that prevents

Jun 7, 2016, 10:40 AM

people from speaking uncomfortable truths?

No matter how uncomfortable it makes you.

Re: Aren't you tired of political correctness that prevents

Jun 7, 2016, 10:44 AM

I SURE AM!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me explain.

Jun 7, 2016, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Let me explain. ]

oh yes the old red herring.

good try!

Re: Let me explain.

Jun 7, 2016, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Let me explain. ]

U got it wrong!! Clay is/was all those things!

Trump is NONE OF THOSE THINGS!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think he's just pretending?

Jun 7, 2016, 10:42 AM

Which is worse, being all those things or pretending to be to appeal to a certain constituencies?

Trump

Jun 7, 2016, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Let me explain. ]

also didn't go to Vietnam. Man this is some Illuminati stuff right here.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump

Jun 7, 2016, 12:37 PM

So by using CootstonT-Mans logic:

Ali- dint go to Nam= Hero
Trump- didn't go to nam= Hero

Re: yea

Jun 7, 2016, 10:32 AM [ in reply to yea ]

Good post 117-

You know you struck a nerve when the name calling and personal attack posts come out... Without an actual rebuttal!

Jun 7, 2016, 10:07 AM

Exactly. The people complaining about Ali are just evidence racism is still prevalent in this country.

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jun 7, 2016, 10:43 AM

why is this guy not banned yet after attacking David Hood?

none of that happened in the 70s***

Jun 7, 2016, 11:57 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love it or leave it! America is and always has been perfect

Jun 7, 2016, 12:26 PM

at every turn, and people who protest or commit acts of civil disobedience against perceived grievances are simply communist agitators who don't love America, or else of course they wouldn't be protesting.

We had great laws on the books from the get go - all this woman's suffrage, equal rights, war protests - what a bunch of America hating losers! I mean, a black person used to count as 3/5 of a citizen - why change a good thing? Think what that would do now to our per capita GDP? We'd be #1! In the world!

IF YOU REALLY LOVE AMERICA SIT TIGHT, SHUT UP, AND TAKE IT!

'Nuff said.

Oh, yeah...

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic