Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The top 10 best state flags
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

The top 10 best state flags

Jun 14, 2020, 5:00 PM

In honor of flag day of the US. (One of the best country flags out there along with Japan, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, UK, Saudi Arabia, Kenya, Seychelles).

I have decided to give my opinion on what I think are the 10 best state flags. Based on aesthetics, look, history, uniqueness, relation to the state. Many state flags are not good looking and feature clunky and complicated crests on a blue flag. All of those are thrown out. These are the top 10 that stand out.

10. Louisiana - good use of a unique state bird, the Pelican

9. Arizona - nice desert color aesthetic that fits the state

8. Maryland - either a hate it or love it type of flag. I personally love it. Unique and historic, coming from a 17th century symbol.

7. Alaska - simple and beautiful that encapsulates the “last frontier” with an image from the Alaskan sky.

6. Wyoming - great usage of the great American Buffalo, hardening thoughts of Yellowstone. Symbolic red around the edge in remembrance of fallen Native Americans.

5. Texas - A classic. Simple and perfectly the “lone star state”. Mildly overrated typically.

4. California - the California Bear is used, a powerful image over the words “California Republic”.

3. Oklahoma - Osage nation buffalo skin shield against a blue sky. Easily recognizable and iconic that encapsulates the native history of the state.

2. New Mexico - unique aesthetic with the red and yellow. The lovely Zia sun symbol against a yellow field. The colors perfectly fit the beautiful land of New Mexico.

1. South Carolina - this is not bias. Simple yet elegant. Historically powerful and peaceful at the same time. It evokes images of the beautiful SC coast and is an image that has been around since the revolutionary war. The palmetto tree and crescent moon combination is a classic and one that is rich in many ways.

Any that would you would take out of the top 10 or add in?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No love for

Jun 14, 2020, 5:02 PM

the Beehive state?

Clemson

No. That’s actually a disappointing one to me

Jun 14, 2020, 5:04 PM

Utah has such potential to make an amazing state flag with the delicate arch or the beehive. But they ruin it with generic blue and cliche eagles and American flags. It should prominently featured the beehive.

Re: No. That’s actually a disappointing one to me

Jun 14, 2020, 4:16 PM

but the beehive state has such a buzz about it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, Maryland's flag can cause seizures. No thanks***

Jun 14, 2020, 5:03 PM

Clemson

I realize the Maryland state flag is a love it or hate it

Jun 14, 2020, 5:54 PM

flag (as T_I_P said), but put me in the Love It camp.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The top 10 best state flags

Jun 14, 2020, 5:15 PM

That's not a crescent moon. It is part of the military uniform of the times. Look it up.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jun 14, 2020, 5:31 PM

The South Carolina flag does not contain a crescent moon. It is a gorget, a piece of armor worn to protect the throat Scottish heritage, and the emblem was worn on the caps of some South Carolina regiments in the revolutionary war. South Carolina was settled by many Sottish Presbyterians who were very capable fighters.

Jun 14, 2020, 5:32 PM

The South Carolina flag does not contain a crescent moon. It is a gorget, a piece of armor worn to protect the throat Scottish heritage, and the emblem was worn on the caps of some South Carolina regiments in the revolutionary war. South Carolina was settled by many Sottish Presbyterians who were very capable fighters.

Jun 14, 2020, 5:42 PM

It is amazing how many native South Carolinians do not know that fact about their own flag. If you look at the flag closely, you can plainly see that it is not a crescent moon. Unless the moon is oblong like an egg.

Jun 14, 2020, 5:39 PM

I once watched a Ted Talk about what makes a good flag, and it was very insightful. A good flag is one that a kid can draw. It’s not too busy, has no unnecessary words or slogans.

I love SC’s flag. I would put Tennessee at #2, Texas at #3, and then a gap where Colorado, Alabama, and New Mexico duke it out. The rest are just spectators, but I do like Rhode Island’s.

mostly agree

Jun 14, 2020, 5:45 PM

Except sometimes a complex image that would be hard for a kid can be good. Like Oklahoma’s

No contest.

Jun 14, 2020, 5:47 PM

Definitely the best.

Jun 14, 2020, 5:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 14, 2020, 6:06 PM

I think the Palmetto tree symbolizes the people of SC. We are strong yet resilient.

I would have loved to see the expressions of the British navy when the cannon balls bounced off or sunk into the Palmetto logs. (That could have been a great scene to add to one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.)

Jun 14, 2020, 6:29 PM

SC flag is the best by far in my opinion.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

The SC Flag was initially designed by William Moultrie

Jun 14, 2020, 8:12 PM

who would go on to become a Major General in the Revolutionary War as well as Governor.

In 1775, Moultrie was commissioned as colonel of the 2nd South Carolina Regiment in the state militia. In December of that year, he led a raid on an encampment of runaway slaves on Sullivan's Island, killing 50 and capturing the rest. The island had served as the main landing point for African slaves imported to Charleston; an estimated 40% of the total estimated 400,000 Africans brought to the United States as slaves were landed here./I] from Wiki

Well, I guess it's time to put that Flag away, no?

Virginia ... because it says "Death to Tyrants" right on it***

Jun 15, 2020, 9:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Virginia and New Hampshire are tired for best state mottos***

Jun 15, 2020, 10:23 PM

Jun 15, 2020, 10:53 PM

I would move Wyoming to 2 with Alaska 3 and then New Mexico. Maryland and Texas off for me. Texas thinks too much of themselves imo. Not crazy about the state but Ohio's flag has always intrigued me. Lousiana moved higher but then pelicans are my favorite bird

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic