»
Topic: minimally adequate
Replies: 8   Last Post: Dec 18, 2017 11:22 AM by: TigersAndCubs
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 8  

minimally adequate

[1]
Posted: Dec 18, 2017 8:59 AM

http://www.thestate.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/robert-ariail/article189995944.html

They left out the part about attending a minimally adequate college (USuC)

Increasing funding for schools is like...

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 9:28 AM

putting a new roof on a dilapidated building.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Yeah, the answer isn't increasing funding to schools, it's

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 9:47 AM

increasing wealth in the communities as a whole. The biggest problems the schools face start right at home.

Re: Yeah, the answer isn't increasing funding to schools, it's

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 9:51 AM

You're right about home but it's not the "community", it's the kid's actual home. Study after study shows that kids from 2 parent homes are vastly more successful in school, on average, that kids from 1 parent household. Obviously, sometimes this cannot be helped (I lost my father in Vietnam) but our society now glorifies unwed births and chosen single parenthood. New schools, more money on education, etc are putting a band-aid on a festering wound that is only getting worse.

Yep, from everything I've seen our society is crumbling

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 9:56 AM

from the lack of values/discipline/work ethic taught at home.

2019 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's something in these hills.

Wealth alone won't solve anything...

[1]
Posted: Dec 18, 2017 11:00 AM

In fact, pouring more money into some "homes" would be like pouring water on a grease fire.

The problem is the breakdown of the family and the utter lack of character and values that result from it. We've subsidized that trend for decades with $billions and $billions... and it's led to a disaster in our society. "The community" is a failure.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

I think there's a correlation between the two.

Posted: Dec 18, 2017 11:22 AM

And nobody is suggesting just throwing money at people in poor communities. But look where the good schools are in the state.. It's no coincidence that Wando, for example, is located in Mt Pleasant.

Students need to be held to a standard.

[1]
Posted: Dec 18, 2017 9:55 AM

School districts across the state have grade floors (no grade lower than a 60 / no zeroes policy), relaxed due dates (turn in your work when you feel like it), and multiple chance discipline policies.

Best stated as (running the risk of pulling a McNair) the inmates are running the prison.

2019 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's something in these hills.

Re: minimally adequate

[2]
Posted: Dec 18, 2017 9:51 AM

Calling our current crop of political representation ( both sides ) " minimally adequate " is to me , the same as calling an ostrich " somewhat flightless " .

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

DB23

Replies: 8  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Boston College
FOR SALE: 8 tickets West End Zone, section X, row Q, seats 21 - 35, $110ea. All seats have tiger seat backs. A...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
1620 people have read this post