Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program

Jun 4, 2013, 8:21 AM

Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program

The Clemson baseball team ended the season by losing seven of its last eight games, and many Clemson fans are dissatisfied with the two losses to Liberty that ended the season. But many of the pieces are in place that might mean even more improvement next season. However, a big bat in the middle of the lineup is a necessity. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program

Jun 4, 2013, 8:25 AM

You are right! Stick to writing! You have NO CLUE!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program

Jun 4, 2013, 8:53 AM

Well, at least TAC had PBP for a couple of innings most games, and the scoreboard was updated every couple of days. Talk about CLUELESS.

didn't they get a cease and desist to stop the PBP?***

Jun 4, 2013, 9:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 4, 2013, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program ]

Methinks you need to step off the ledge. I thought this article was very well-written, levelheaded, and backed up by a ton of relevant statistics and facts.

me too...Hood is a good writer***

Jun 4, 2013, 9:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed...it was a good article IMO.***

Jun 4, 2013, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Agreed - the hitting stats were telling.***

Jun 4, 2013, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program ]

It is good article can't understand the negativity of some

Jun 5, 2013, 7:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Late season collapse poses questions about direction of baseball program ]

Guess they are the kind, that when you tell them "Good morning", they will say "I don't have to take that off of you".

Easy 1 ACC title in 19 years and a program in steady decline***

Jun 5, 2013, 3:37 PM

steady decline to increase wins by 5 this year?

Jun 5, 2013, 3:45 PM

good grief.....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Jun 4, 2013, 8:31 AM

I would love to know how we ranked with runners left on base. I would bet we'd be very high in that category which isnt good. Also seemed to get picked off at least one or two times every game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Put Melky Cabrera in the middle of the lineup......

Jun 4, 2013, 8:33 AM

and until the postseason mentality changes we will still get knocked out

How many different line ups did we use this year?

Jun 4, 2013, 8:50 AM

Seems like we never settled on a batting order and were still juggling even at the end.

Jun 4, 2013, 8:51 AM

Good analysis David. Another difference between the two stadiums is the wind which is almost always blowing in at DK and out in cola. The harder balls will help other teams more than the Tigers. Another bit of failed thinking by Jack.

Cooment about "small ball"

Jun 4, 2013, 9:06 AM

Did you see UNC put on a hitting clinic last night? And they did it without a single home run. Impressive. While I'd like a HR or two from Clemson every game, teams can win with LOTS of hits.

GO TIGERS!!!

Re: i don't believe he is saying that you can't win that way

Jun 4, 2013, 3:54 PM

but given the choice, I know which way I am going. Carolina has plenty of power. Just look at their numbers. They did not get it , last night, but it is there.

I have stayed out of the "should Jack stay or go"

Jun 4, 2013, 9:13 AM

conversation but if the number of people in the seats of the picture above is any indication.....well.... I've seen other schools with a lot of fans at the game.

Re: I have stayed out of the "should Jack stay or go"

Jun 4, 2013, 9:23 AM

me too and I've notice that also. Attendance seemed to be way off this year

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats because watching this team is rediculously frustrating

Jun 4, 2013, 9:27 AM

at times. You really have to be a big-time fan to put up with the wild unpredictable roller coaster ride on which this team takes you every game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you see the stands at Oregon and UNC last night?

Jun 4, 2013, 11:02 AM [ in reply to I have stayed out of the "should Jack stay or go" ]

both of these teams were fighting for a spot in the supers and at best they were 3/4ths full.

Butts in the seats won't decide a coaches fate in baseball simply because any money you get from tickets is basically gravy. Its at best a breakeven and most likely a money losing sport.

UNC fans don't give a **** about anything but basketball

Jun 4, 2013, 11:19 AM

Heck. most of their fans don't even realize UNC has a baseball team since you don't have to walk or drive past Bryson Field on the way to and from the Dean Dome.

I wasn't implying a money thing, just gauging fan interest

Jun 4, 2013, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Did you see the stands at Oregon and UNC last night? ]

which ties into program support (and once again not necessarily monetarily). I know, I know...it's all about the money for some folks.

Re: Don't know about the exact state of the baseball

Jun 4, 2013, 9:29 AM

program but do have one suggestion....DO NOT LISTEN to the ultimate sunshine pumper...Roy Philpot...to determine the status.

Everything is ALWAYS in a state of bliss for that guy and he loves being in love with the Clemson coaches way, way to much to consider any possible problems with teams or programs.

Roy Philpot = Baghdad Bob.

Jun 4, 2013, 9:34 AM

Unless the problems that plagued the team and have plagued the team for several years are addressed-then we are not headed in the right direction. Getting worse at the end of the year isn't progress.

LeCroy has helped the talent level....not Jack...

Jun 4, 2013, 9:41 AM

I have said that Jack has to go for the past 5 years now. He is a proven coach; however, he puts so much pressure on the players and we never play "loose". I like that the direction of the program seems to be moving back in the right direction but I have to give a young enthusiastic LeCroy some credit for this.

Re: LeCroy has helped the talent level....not Jack...

Jun 4, 2013, 2:21 PM

I knew a few of the players back when I was in school, and that was their feelings on Jack too. He may have excellent baseball knowledge, but not the best coaching/people skills. He is Steve Spurrier Lite, without the success.

Re: There has been no significant change. We certainly

Jun 4, 2013, 3:57 PM [ in reply to LeCroy has helped the talent level....not Jack... ]

have not made any major improvement.

It's pretty clear to me we're getting out-recruited by...

Jun 4, 2013, 8:47 PM [ in reply to LeCroy has helped the talent level....not Jack... ]

by other teams. We're 4-17 against UNC, 4-18 vs. UVA, & 10-22 vs. USuCk since '06. We will not win any conference championships and host Super Regionals until this trend is reversed and start beating these teams. Those teams don't seem to have problems recruiting hitters.

...From Morons on TigerNet

Jun 4, 2013, 9:48 AM

Should be the rest of that headline.

Re: ...From Morons on TigerNet

Jun 4, 2013, 10:29 AM

Sadly...the title is what will stick in most peoples minds, and considering the world we live in where everyone has a voice, stuff like this can gain momentum.

Jack deserves better than this crap.

Re: BS, the Clemson fans deserve better than this. Jack

Jun 4, 2013, 3:59 PM

gets paid to delivery but all we are getting is pitiful performances and excuses from Jack's minions.

Moving the fences in or getting the ball changed is

Jun 4, 2013, 10:51 AM

ridiculous. Just recruit better hitters. We obviously dont have the right hitters, our average and homerun numbers are in the 120-160's.

If you are a power hitter

Jun 4, 2013, 11:03 AM

would you go to a pitchers park or a bandbox?

One impacts the other.

there's not a colunm in the box score for bunts***

Jun 4, 2013, 11:38 AM

Message removed by Author

Jun 4, 2013, 11:43 AM

Message removed by Author

null

really?***

Jun 4, 2013, 11:54 AM

I didn't know the Sacrifice column was for killing chickens

Jun 4, 2013, 12:11 PM [ in reply to there's not a colunm in the box score for bunts*** ]

Maybe Pedro Cerrano was onto something.

Or maybe, just maybe, baseball does have a line for bunts.

If you want a comparision, how many big free agents hitters consider San Diego with that monstrous field? The answer is very few because they know they wont hit their numbers in a huge ballpark. When we shortened the field the first time we starting attracting more power hitters.

Re: there's not a colunm in the box score for bunts***

Jun 4, 2013, 12:58 PM [ in reply to there's not a colunm in the box score for bunts*** ]

how many times need we bunt? not many

exactly....swing away!***

Jun 4, 2013, 2:08 PM

Re: Moving the fences in or getting the ball changed is

Jun 4, 2013, 3:09 PM [ in reply to Moving the fences in or getting the ball changed is ]

Quick, who are the top S.C. high school power hitters that we should be recruiting right now? Tick, tick, tick. Come on, surely you can think of one. Recruiting power hitters is not as easy as you clowns seem to think. There just aren't that many out there that you KNOW are going to hit for power in college. I'm sure McGibbon was recruited with the thought that he would be a power hitter, and that has not happened. Just doesn't have the bat speed. Ditto for Schaus, who had a lot of power before the new bats came in play, then zip. Heck, Shaffer, a proven power hitter in HS, only had 7, 13, and 10 HR's his three years at Clemson. That's really not a lot.

Bottom line is is recruiting is a crap shoot. There will always be ups and downs.

> ridiculous. Just recruit better hitters. We
> obviously dont have the right hitters, our average
> and homerun numbers are in the 120-160's.

UNC, UA, USuCk, & FSU don't seem to have...

Jun 4, 2013, 8:38 PM

problems recruiting kids that can hit.

Thanks for proving my point

Jun 4, 2013, 11:28 PM

SCar, and FSU (along with GT) are very hitter friendly parks. It doesnt take much to hit one out of those places. Not sure about UNCs park.

HOME RUNS at WCU & El CID

Jun 4, 2013, 12:49 PM

WCU hit 71 home runs this year & THE CITADEL hit 66 (in a minor league park for the most part)
I support Jack Leggette 100%
We need more/better hitters. Recruit hitters.

Re: HOME RUNS at WCU & El CID

Jun 4, 2013, 3:19 PM

Yeah, and that was in the Southern Conference. No way they would have as many in the ACC, against ACC pitching. You're comparing apples and oranges. Plus, if you've ever been there, Western's field is an absolute launching pad. Joe Riley Park can be do, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Do those Western and Citadel hitters have the same overall "tools" as Clemson hitters? Do they run as well, throw as well, field as well. Personally, I don't know for sure, but odds are probably not. Everybody wants the proverbial 5 tool player, but there are very in college ball. So you make compromises. You take the 3-4 tool guy and pass on the 1 tool guy (power only). There are only so many places that you can hide that kind of guy in an ACC or SEC lineup. But, you tolerate the deficiencies in lesser conferences. At higher levels you might try to hide him in LF, but it usually doesn't work out very well.

I've been to a lot of SOCON and Big SOuth games. Frequently you see guys that could hit ACC and SEC pitching, and hit it well. But, they often can't do anything else.

> WCU hit 71 home runs this year & THE CITADEL hit 66
> (in a minor league park for the most part)
> I support Jack Leggette 100%
> We need more/better hitters. Recruit hitters.

Re: HOME RUNS at WCU & El CID

Jun 4, 2013, 3:29 PM [ in reply to HOME RUNS at WCU & El CID ]

And just so you'll know, one of next year's incoming freshmen, Glenn Batson, had 7 HR's in his final season of HS ball. That may not sound like much, but it's a lot in a short HS season, especially with BBCOR bats. So, on paper at least, they're recruiting the power hitters you want. But, whether he continues to be a power hitter in the ACC is anybody's guess at this point.

> WCU hit 71 home runs this year & THE CITADEL hit 66
> (in a minor league park for the most part)
> I support Jack Leggette 100%
> We need more/better hitters. Recruit hitters.

Re:Good article. You will think anyone could see how much

Jun 4, 2013, 3:51 PM

power hitters help especially one that we are paying big bucks to.

Who should replace him?

Jun 4, 2013, 5:53 PM

realistically (Leggett)

90% of the article I agree with...but

Jun 4, 2013, 11:28 PM

the part about moving the fences or home plate...are you kidding me...when were the fences put at those distances? I know they were changed at one time...but it did not stop players from getting homeruns in the 90's and early 2000's I remember quite a few homers sailing out when Miller, Greene, Stone, just to name a few getting them over and believe they were the same distance they are now.
What I see is there is motivation but not the fire in the belly like we had five years ago...seems like something has destroyed that reach deep down and get the job done that use to be there. I don't buy the youth bit because there are 19 year olds on every team and they seem to be doing fine.
I just hope things pick up next year and motivation will again play a factor in the Tigers getting to Omaha.

You lost me at "as long as next shows the same time of

Jun 4, 2013, 11:39 PM

improvement as 2013" I stopped reading after that sentence. I really like Hood as a writer and a video reporter. He is really good at reporting on Clemson, but this article seemed like brown-nosing all the way.

Anyone who knows baseball knows.........

Jun 5, 2013, 1:05 AM

you put a bunch of young guys together and they all start looking at one another like "you gunna start this rally? Who is going to lead us" They are timid and let the game get bigger than them. We will be fine, just give it a freaking rest. You want someone to buy you some peanuts and cracker jacks but guess what, cracker jacks already have peanuts in them.

I see the direction as up

Jun 5, 2013, 8:56 AM

Belly Up.

State of Clemson baseball

Jun 5, 2013, 5:29 PM

Both teams hit same baseball on the same field. Have been a Clemson baseball fan my whole life. In the 90s and early 2000s the class of the ACC was FSU, Clemson, and GT in no particular order. I now see us ranking consistently in the middle of the ACC behind the likes of UNC, UVA, FSU and NC State. National promenience is irrelevant if your middle of the pack in your own conference.

Is anyone really confused about the direction? It's pretty

Jun 5, 2013, 6:21 PM

obvious which direction Tiger Baseball is traveling...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic