Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: A new witness comes forward in Tucker Hipps' case
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 4,536

Campus Update: A new witness comes forward in Tucker Hipps' case

Aug 13, 2015, 8:44 AM

A new witness comes forward in Tucker Hipps' case

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Campus Update: A new witness comes forward in Tucker Hipps' case

Aug 13, 2015, 8:57 AM

This makes me sick reading it. At least the family may have some closure when everything comes to light.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2015, 9:01 AM

I've never understood this and just don't get it. How could you simply wait and not go looking for him or try to save him? Unbelievable. What a tragedy. God Bless his family.

Aug 13, 2015, 10:26 AM

It just goes to show that those people were not his friends. I realize it's a slim chance but what if he was simply knocked unconscious and subsequently drowned? If they had taken quick action it could have saved his life.

It's just an overall sad ending to a young life that didn't have to be.

When you pay for friends, they're usually not your friends***

Aug 13, 2015, 10:40 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What he said ^***

Aug 13, 2015, 11:36 AM

Paying for friends does not equate to good friends***

Aug 13, 2015, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: A new witness comes forward in Tucker Hipps' case ]

Aug 13, 2015, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: A new witness comes forward in Tucker Hipps' case ]

What a bunch of self absorbed a-wholes. If this is so there needs to be criminal prosecution of the people involved

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If true, 2nd degree murder charges and many years in

Aug 13, 2015, 2:15 PM

prison are warranted. Any normal person would have immediately called 911 and ran down to help.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no 2nd degree murder in SC

Aug 13, 2015, 2:37 PM

criminal homicide is either murder or manslaughter

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c003.php

I was in a fraternity at Clemson in the late 80's...

Aug 13, 2015, 10:21 AM

we did some stupid and silly things but never did we try to hurt anyone, do anything dangerous, nor do anything illegal. I just don't get it. I know the fraternities do some good things but these types of incidents seem to occur more frequently today.

My nephew will move in this weekend to begin his freshman year at Clemson and I'm advising him to avoid the Greek system and get involved with other organizations.

It's just not worth the risk.

Re: I was in a fraternity at Clemson in the late 80's...

Aug 13, 2015, 11:51 AM

The "Greek system" ought to be shut down completely. It's senseless.

Thank God there was no underage drinking or smoking

Aug 13, 2015, 2:17 PM [ in reply to I was in a fraternity at Clemson in the late 80's... ]

weed in the 80's, well the rest of us were, but evidently the frats took the high road. Well except for the girl that fell off the balcony of the frat house.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I remember that...

Aug 13, 2015, 3:42 PM

She fell off the ledge on the ATO house trying to get into a locked room through the window... at least that's the story I heard. That was on my birthday, 1989 I think? I was downtown celebrating that night when the news hit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was in a fraternity at Clemson in the late 80's...

Aug 13, 2015, 3:56 PM [ in reply to I was in a fraternity at Clemson in the late 80's... ]

gettin involved with wsbf is an alternative
to the greek life.

Could someone please explain??...

Aug 13, 2015, 10:48 AM

Is the Hipps family claiming the university knew about the "accident"??...condoned it??? tried to cover up information??....or is the university a deep pocket the lawyers are trying to get to??

I'm not sure I see how Clemson is guilty of complicity in this---but I'm not sure of all the details...TIA

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty much based on failure to prevent it

Aug 13, 2015, 11:15 AM

the lawsuits' claims against CU are based on allegations that CU knew or should have know that the fraternity was putting kids in danger.

the suit claims that the frat broke CU rules and policies...

and claims that CU failed to enforce the rules and policies

if you click on the first lawsuit link in this article, the claims against CU are on page 15 of the complaint, page 20 of the pdf.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/28653826/tucker-hipps-family-files-lawsuit-against-fraternity-university

there's no doubt that CU is the only deep pocket in the suit... unless the local or national fraternity had a good insurance policy - which is likely for the national group

mangled that a bit

Aug 13, 2015, 1:07 PM

... CU knew of should have known...

CU is the only obvious deep pocket, but it's possible/likely that the national frat has an insurance policy

Nope, suing the National Frat pretty much never works

Aug 13, 2015, 1:13 PM

They play an interesting shell game with their money.

http://www.alternet.org/corporate-accountability-and-workplace/3-slimy-tactics-national-fraternities-use-avoid

no insurance co. parts with its money easily

Aug 13, 2015, 2:01 PM

you gotta take it

and even though the national frat has insurance, i doubt it would be held liable...

since the local chapter ostensibly hazed, it's probably not covered...or that will probably be one of the defenses

i was just pointing out that the national frat is a potential deep pocket

but some folks get money...

$3 million for a death at Penn

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-03-28/frats-worse-than-animal-house-fail-to-pay-for-casualties

negligence

Aug 13, 2015, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Could someone please explain??... ]

Clemson has a strict anti-hazing policy, but it seems like the hazing (greek-wide, not just this fraternity) has continued with little let-up. If Clemson's going to put the policy in place, it needs to enforce it.

Clemson sanctions each fraternity to exist on campus.

Aug 13, 2015, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Could someone please explain??... ]

By formally recognizing these organizations, fraternities are essentially an extension of the University.

Aug 13, 2015, 12:36 PM

I find it cowardly that nobody had the decency to speak out when this happened. Very disgusting and I hope those who could have spoken the truth then will have to face responsibility for it.

occurs to me that said witness must have

Aug 13, 2015, 12:43 PM

just graduated and is now relocating to Michigan or somewhere. Probably afraid to talk while he still lived at the frat house, but now he's clear of the idiots, he can speak freely.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Said witness was there when it happened and knows he's at

Aug 13, 2015, 12:50 PM

fault for not acting as well. He's cut some kind of deal...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One wonders

Aug 13, 2015, 1:02 PM

If the new witness was one of the people the Hipps sued. If so, it appears that the suit was effective.

One also wonders

Aug 13, 2015, 1:05 PM

if the witness (through his attorney) has spoken with law enforcement/prosecutors in search of a deal?

that one is a negative

Aug 13, 2015, 9:53 PM

http://www.wyff4.com/news/solicitor-witness-allegations-in-tucker-hipps-case-wont-yield-charges/34682360

“The Oconee County Sheriff’s Office has thoroughly interviewed this alleged witness and his statement does not warrant any further criminal investigation nor would it result in any criminal charges being filed.

Re: that one is a negative

Aug 14, 2015, 9:40 AM

The new witness's story doesn't really make sense to me. How do you go from catching the railing by your arms to falling head first? How would any witness have seen him end up head first or hit his head on the rocks if it was dark outside?

I'm not saying the statement is incorrect, but it certainly raises as many questions as it answers.

exactly

Aug 14, 2015, 10:39 AM

among the questions: gotta wonder why the solicitor's office and law enforcement agencies don't seem to give the alleged witness claims much value

having the solicitor use that word - 'alleged' - when describing the witness brings up more questions

Aug 13, 2015, 2:07 PM

fry them!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said on here a long time ago, that somebody knows

Aug 14, 2015, 1:04 AM

what really happened that morning, and someday his conscience would cause him to come forward.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I said on here a long time ago, that somebody knows

Aug 14, 2015, 9:12 AM

Solicitor says they have talked to new witness and it will not bring charges....

Replies: 32
| visibility 4,536
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic