Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
July 1st = Football Time from here on out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

July 1st = Football Time from here on out

Jul 1, 2016, 4:51 PM

We know this offense is gonna put up silly numbers...Like 63-17 type games.

But let's talk about this defense...

Am I the only one who thinks this might be Dabo's most talented defense?

The front 7 is the most talented I've seen since maybe the 80's...and you can argue this group might be better. You WILL NOT run up the middle of this defense, it won't happen. Carlos Watkins and Big Dex won't allow it. Add in Pagono and Huggins and it's lock down city.... The DE and yes, I can't believe he is athletic enough to do it, but yes, Christian Wilkins might play both DE and DT... FREAK! Have any of you seen how big Austin Bryant is? This guy was sooooo goooood in the orange bowl once Lawson went out...add Clelin Ferrel, Chris register, Xavier Kelly, and Richard Yeargin....Good Luck stopping this group.

The Linebackers are elite, best ive seen in a long time at Clemson. Ben Boulware, Kendall Joseph, Dorian O'daniel, Jalen Williams, Shaq Smith, Tre Lamar, and possibly Korin wiggns if he don't play in the secondary...

The back end is young but again.... really good. Tank, Baker ( if healthy ), Jadar Johnson, Ryan Cater, Van Smith, Marcus Edmonds and Mark Fields are all top level talent.

I know it's crazy to believe... but I think this group is and can be better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had a young, inexperienced secondary in 2014 also -

Jul 1, 2016, 5:13 PM

but rich in the front 7 - leading to the #1 Defense in CFB. 2014's front 7 was outstanding, 2016 is a step above that. It's going to be a lot of fun watching our defense play this year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We had a young, inexperienced secondary in 2014 also -

Jul 1, 2016, 5:42 PM

imagine if our guys stayed instead of going early in the draft....This defense would have been sick

Why did we give up so many long runs up the middle last yr?****

Jul 1, 2016, 6:04 PM [ in reply to We had a young, inexperienced secondary in 2014 also - ]

makes you want to pull your hair out, doesn't it?

Jul 2, 2016, 12:52 AM

It shows up more than I want to admit. Last year it seems that it most often was either a good call against the blitz, or a lb was out of position with the wrong read. Not sure if all this will be cured this season, but it would great to never see another 25+ run!

Re: Why did we give up so many long runs up the middle last yr?****

Jul 2, 2016, 6:50 AM [ in reply to Why did we give up so many long runs up the middle last yr?**** ]

Well sometimes the opposing teams actually have quality players that sometimes make the correct block against really good CLEMSON players, and voila, you get a long run. I actually think we play teams that have a few good players, and I'm not all that surprised when they do something that works as planned. They know the play - we have to react or anticipate what is happening. Makes a diff IMO.

Re: Why did we give up so many long runs up the middle last yr?****

Jul 2, 2016, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Why did we give up so many long runs up the middle last yr?**** ]

A handful - Ben was unfortunately out of position.

The biggest, most-memorable one, BJ got held like a #### and Cook went 75 or so for that early FSU touchdown.

And another handful - yep, sometimes you're just playing against athletes who are going to make that play.

How did we stop so many top RBs from running up...

Jul 2, 2016, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Why did we give up so many long runs up the middle last yr?**** ]

the middle so many times? None of our guys were consistently 'manhandled,' as were those of six or seven years ago.

I'd rather have a RB get his rushing yard off half a dozen plays or less than getting a first down on third and short to move the chains again and again on our defense.

Fact is, Clemson was ranked in the top on three and outs last year. I didn't see our defense being faulted much of the time. Imo, our risk reward for calling exceptional/non-typical plays on defense contributed to our success. Don't be so quick to always blame it on the players for where they line up on the field and who they cover.

Sure, our guys missed a few assignments but our coaches missed a few calls too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I noticed us giving up too many long runs. Maybe just me******

Jul 2, 2016, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Why did we give up so many long runs up the middle last yr?**** ]

I don't think our D was as great as some make us out..

Jul 2, 2016, 11:06 AM

We gave up a lot of long runs and big plays. Luckily we had D Watson. Back to the D, I wouldn't be surprised of the D was even better this year, even with all the losses. It seems we should be better at the LB position.

Part of the nature of our defense is an aggressive attack.

Jul 2, 2016, 12:59 PM

By this approach it will allow for well executed opportunities by great playmakers to exploit. If you think about some of the long plays we gave up last year, who were they to? Dalvin Cook? Derrick Henry? The NC State RB who was on his way to the Wolfpack's first 1000 yard rushing season until he got hurt in our game? It wasn't a long list. Take away a few big ones, which great playmakers will produce, and otherwise we were extremely effective in shutting those star running backs down, along with all the others. ND's Procise? He did nothing against us.

It's probably a bit of perception, as the big runs happen in some of our biggest games, and thus stand out more. Those games are bigger though because the talent on the other team is better, and thus more opportunities for excellent players to make big plays against us.

I'll take the many 3 and outs, short yardage stuffs, and added pressure on a relentless basis any time if we continue to perform overall like we do.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with most of that, but...

Jul 2, 2016, 2:15 PM

our defense was flawed last year. We weren't as good on D as so many believe. D wasn't our strength imo. I think we would have lost 5 games last year without having a freak like Watson at the helm. I think if Boyd, who was obviously really solid, would have been at the helm, we would have lost 5 games. I think our D in a year or two years will be night and day better.

Re: July 1st = Football Time from here on out

Jul 2, 2016, 8:53 AM

It's unbelievable when you think about the talent on both sides of the ball. For the past 3 or 4 years every preseason we say it's such an awesome time to be a tiger, and every year it looks better than the previous year. So this year I'm saying it again. ITS AN AWESOME TIME TO BE A TIGER!!!

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic