Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The NBA needs to eliminate the "one and done" rule and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

The NBA needs to eliminate the "one and done" rule and

Feb 21, 2019, 1:46 PM

allow players to enter the draft straight out of high school.

Agree or disagree?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Agree.***

Feb 21, 2019, 1:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NBA needs to eliminate the "one and done" rule and***

Feb 21, 2019, 1:54 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NBA needs to eliminate the "one and done" rule and

Feb 21, 2019, 1:57 PM

Agree. And the NFL should eliminate the gotta stay 3 rule.

I can understand the NFL's rule, as most kids graduating

Feb 21, 2019, 2:03 PM

from HS are are not [at that point] physically ready for the NFL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2019, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: The NBA needs to eliminate the "one and done" rule and ]

Tablerock said:

Agree. And the NFL should eliminate the gotta stay 3 rule.

DIAGREE! IF SO, THEN PAY BACK YOUR SCHOLARSHIP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After watching what happened to the kid that TLaw pushed down,

Feb 21, 2019, 2:02 PM

I tend to agree.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Don't care. But what if

Feb 21, 2019, 2:09 PM

yikes was pronounced like Nikes?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

The NBA isn’t to do that, they were drafting too many bust

Feb 21, 2019, 2:17 PM

With the top 7 picks.

aren't these rules part of the collective bargaining process

Feb 21, 2019, 2:24 PM

and not just a league rule

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: aren't these rules part of the collective bargaining process

Feb 21, 2019, 3:46 PM

Yep. It's at least partly the other players, who under the CBA, make it clear they don't want 18-year-old kids in the league.

From SI article:

Williamson’s injury is a painful reminder why the NBA and NBPA are expected to explore modifying Article X of the collective bargaining agreement. Article X instructs that for an American player to be draft eligible, he must be at least 19 years old and at least one NBA season must have elapsed since when he graduated from high school or, if he didn’t graduate, when he would have graduated. While the current CBA runs through the 2023-24 season (with a mutual opt-out clause after the 2022-23 season), Article X could be amended before then. More likely, it would be changed in a new CBA. The relevant change would be to allow players to “jump” from high school to the NBA. The NBA permitted amateur players to make that jump from 1976 to 2005.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. These Duke and KY boosters are paying way too much for a kid that only stays one year.

Feb 21, 2019, 2:35 PM

In other news this is totally unrelated to Clemson. We can’t seem to attract that type of talent.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That mindset is what got Dabo hired as HC....

Feb 21, 2019, 5:43 PM

...... I hope you’re on to something - I’d like to see former presidents in Littlejohn, too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Feb 21, 2019, 2:38 PM

Idk. What does the league do to help these young men mentally adapt to this level. They may be physically ready but what about the maturity that generally happens during college. Freshman year to senior year is quite a different dynamic. I think here is significant value in the college experience, totally separate from the financial aspect.

Overall I agree with your main point

Feb 21, 2019, 2:59 PM

But these one and done guys aren’t getting the college experience. They show up in August, practice and go to class for 2 months, then the season starts and they are gone half the weeks traveling to road games, and they don’t have to stay eligible in the spring semester so they never have to go to class.

I don't know what the NBA is doing to help them adapt

Feb 21, 2019, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: The NBA needs to eliminate the "one and done" rule and ]

mentally, but I figure it's an easier adjustment than going from high school to having bullets flying past your head in the Middle East.

Feb 21, 2019, 2:50 PM

Can you imagine where Labron James could have ended up if he could of declared out of HS?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2019, 2:56 PM

That is a tough one. From the "America is a free country" point of view, we should eliminate any restrictions on kids turning pro in any sport. However, this will destroy college football and basketball. And those are two of my favorite sports. I don't follow pro basketball at all. And only the play offs and Super Bowl in pro football. We now have developmental leagues in both sports. So, in my opinion, you sign a letter of intent, you are in for four years or graduation.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2019, 3:51 PM

Recognize that this is NOT an NCAA rule. The NFL and NBA have age limits that keep kids out, such that their best alternative is to play college ball, get college coaching at college facilities against college competition until they qualify for the respective league.

No one forces anyone to play NCAA ball.

If someone doesn't want to go to NCAA institution, they could travel to Europe and play pro basketball for a year or two or play in the NBA D league. Or play semi-pro football if that's your sport (or XFL when it starts up, will not have age limit).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed

Feb 21, 2019, 3:03 PM

If a guy goes straight to the NBA out of high school and goes undrafted and can prove they took no money, let them go back in to college but they have to stay 3 years.

Undecided.***

Feb 21, 2019, 3:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Feb 21, 2019, 3:41 PM

Disagree. Most kids are not ready for the NBA at 19 years old. For every one and done, there are 2-3 players who flame out. Better served polishing their game at the college level. With the one and done rule, too much pressure on kids to come out early.

NBA rule should match the NFL, not the other way around.

Agree - Clemson has sucked at basketball off and on

Feb 21, 2019, 4:21 PM

for years but I still cared about college basketball and watched. Once KY started the One and Done they became my automatic rival - other than the coots I rooted for anyone playing them. Now UNCheat, Duke, etc. have all joined in.

It's a joke. We know most UNCheat players don't go to class but you can be sure none of the One and Dones are going to class anywhere. It's not even close to "college" basketball anymore. If I want to watch paid players I'll watch the NBA where at least a level playing field is possible.

looks like they plan to

Feb 21, 2019, 7:06 PM

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26049542/nba-proposes-changing-draft-age-19-18-players-union

Hey, they liked my idea

Feb 21, 2019, 7:09 PM

;)

Feb 21, 2019, 7:17 PM

I like it as is or even make it 3 and done like football. If there was no one and done I would have never had a chance to see Zion play. I don’t watch the nba.
Zion is amazing to watch.

Feb 22, 2019, 2:47 AM

They've done this already and the NBA said it wasn't working well. To many players that weren't really ready mentally and physically. I believe that was 2005. What has changed? Somebody broke their shoe?

Feb 22, 2019, 9:18 PM

The intelligence level of those who are speaking negatively about their past one-and-done year of involuntary servitude demonstrates that their single year of secondary education is providing little benefit.

Therefore, I think they need to be required to attend classes, too.

Feb 22, 2019, 10:08 PM

We can look at this two ways:

If you may wreck your knee you should forget school and earn your million$ as soon as you can, or if you may wreck your knee you should try to actually get an education while you are living on a college campus.

To bad the NCAA ain't about edjumacashun

Feb 22, 2019, 9:23 PM

it's about the almighty dollar.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic