Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson to Play Coastal Carolina in 2009
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Apr 16, 2008, 3:10 PM

It will be the first meeting between Clemson and Coastal Carolina on the gridiron.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we need one more for '09, correct?***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:14 PM

Nevermind. Mid Tenn with Stock on schedule also.***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:18 PM

Graph on future SEC foes is meant to temper they I-AAnoyed****

Apr 16, 2008, 3:16 PM

I wish it was a road game! :-)***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:17 PM

looks like some fun roadtrips!***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:27 PM

Too bad an all-girl school dosn't have a team we could sched***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:30 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vote PC and Newberry in 2010.***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:35 PM

what the hell are we doing playing coastal?***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:36 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: what the hell are we doing playing coastal?***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:53 PM

For the record, Florida is playing Coastal this year. We are not the only team that schedules cupcakes. I think that game will be fun. I know it will be a blowout, but hey, just another reason for Clemson to say "we are the best team in south carolina".

Re: Clemson to Play Coastal Carolina in 2009

Apr 16, 2008, 3:40 PM

Why don't we go ahead and book Winthrop, Converse & Erskine, give them a couple of hundred thousand to start their football program, and pad our record even more! Maybe we can have a 7-0 start like a few years ago. But wait, that year didn't end too well did it.

Looks like we'll have more "crock" home schedules beyond 2008. Who wants to see us kill SC State and the others? How can we ever get better playing these teams? I'm disappointed to say the least.

Coastal, Middle Tenn, AND Central Mich all in one season?

Apr 16, 2008, 3:50 PM

I didn't think our non-conference schedules could get much more cupcake, but there you have it.

Re: Coastal, Middle Tenn, AND Central Mich all in one season?

Apr 16, 2008, 3:55 PM

Central michigan was an easy game for us last year, but they did go to a bowl game. If we can beat up on teams that go to bowl games I see no reason not to schedule them. Stats wise, they make us look really good. Coastal and Middle TN state, not so much.

Don't forget South Carolina, too.***

Apr 16, 2008, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Coastal, Middle Tenn, AND Central Mich all in one season? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't forget South Carolina, too.***

Apr 17, 2008, 7:17 AM

As amusing as it might be to consider USC a "cupcake" opponent, that's not the case in reality. Despite our impressive win total over them, it's never a given that we will beat them.

You might want to wake up and see that 2009 will be the last

Apr 16, 2008, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Coastal, Middle Tenn, AND Central Mich all in one season? ]

cupcake schedule we see for awhile. look at all those teams beyond that

Re: You might want to wake up and see that 2009 will be the last

Apr 17, 2008, 7:14 AM

I'm wide awake. If you go back and re-read my post, you'll notice I made zero mention of any schedule beyond 2009. 2009 is the third year in a row that our OOC schedule is filled with cupcakes.

I'm impressed with 2010 and beyond, although I have to wonder how many of those SEC game contracts will be cancelled between now and then (I'm guessing at least one). At the same time, Vandy and MS State are not exactly cream of the crop in the SEC. But at least they're considered competitive.

Apr 17, 2008, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Coastal, Middle Tenn, AND Central Mich all in one season? ]

Maybe we can send one of our former coaches to Winthrop and get a team started there for us to add 2010.

Apr 17, 2008, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Coastal, Middle Tenn, AND Central Mich all in one season? ]

Maybe we can send one of our former coaches to Winthrop and get a team started there for us to add 2010.

Pathetic

Apr 19, 2008, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Coastal, Middle Tenn, AND Central Mich all in one season? ]

Might as well start playin' Highschool teams in upstate SC....I think Walhalla has an opening...

Time to Prove A Point

Apr 16, 2008, 4:02 PM

I love the fact that we have scheduled so many SEC games. I am sick and tired of hearing how good the SEC is. If we are as good as we all hope to be in the next few years, it is the perfect time to put them in their place. Starting with Bama and USC this season.

I was looking through ESPN the other day and also thought it was funny how the last 3 or 4 seasons the SEC plays fewer out of conference games than any other conference. Until they start playing more decent D-1 teams I just have a hard time believing that they are soo much better than the rest. Its hard to compare them when all they do is play each other. If we are not going to have a playoff system, I do think it is a must for every D-1 school to schedule at least 2 good out of conference teams. Then end. Enjoy.

Heck Yeah to the shedules for the next 9 years!

Apr 16, 2008, 5:04 PM

Accept for this year each years it's gonna be some great competition. Thats what I'm talking about! Football!!!!!!!!!!! I love it.

Re: Heck Yeah to the shedules for the next 9 years!

Apr 16, 2008, 5:18 PM

What is great is in 2013 we could have as many if not more SEC wins as USuCk!! Now that would be classic!

Hopefully by 2013 we'll have a good coach***

Apr 16, 2008, 5:32 PM

Cool. TB will still be here.***

Apr 16, 2008, 6:24 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Showed TDP his new recipe for icing cupcakes...

Apr 16, 2008, 9:13 PM

uses sour cream.

Good? TB is 6-28 vs AP Top 25 finishers. He's 0-8 vs Top 10

Apr 16, 2008, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Cool. TB will still be here.*** ]

Tommy Bowden's Tigers vs. AP Top 25 finishers:
Overall: 6-28 (.214)
1st 2 years: 1-7 (.143)
Last 2 years: 1-6 (.167)

Vs. AP Top 10 finishers: 0-8 (.000)

Vs. ACC teams: 42-30 (.583)
Vs. (non-ACC) BCS conference teams: 12-10 (.545)
Vs. SoCar: 7-2 (.778)
Vs. (non-ACC) BCS (other than SoCar): 5-8 (.385)

TB-led Tigers ACC place finish (including tie-breaker criteria) in order from 1999-2007:
3/9, 3/9, 4/9, 5/9, 3/9, 7/11, 7/12, 6/12, 4/12
Note: ("3/9" means 3rd out of 9 teams)

"Good" is subjective. He's certainly been good against SoCar. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't use the word "good" based on the above stats.

Hopefully Clemson will win the ACC this season and provide some data showing that TB is a "good" coach.

Re: Good? TB is 6-28 vs AP Top 25 finishers. He's 0-8 vs Top 10

Apr 17, 2008, 12:00 PM

I dont know if you did the math yourself or where you got that info from, but you should check the percentage for VS. ACC teams. 42-30 is (.710) not (.583) Big difference. Im happy with 70% win ratio so far considering what he was given when he arrived at clemson. It take years to get recruits and to turn around a football program. Looks like we finally got it going though. Give him more time, they keep getting better and better. 9 wins last season and a bowl appearance every year except the fight year. If he can duplicate 9 wins or more and an occasional 8 win season, Im happy.

Re:I would not be happy with 70%, but

Apr 17, 2008, 12:10 PM

I can see where you might be. The man is right at 583

TB is 42-30 in ACC. 42/72 = .583. TB only wins 58%. Not good

Apr 17, 2008, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Good? TB is 6-28 vs AP Top 25 finishers. He's 0-8 vs Top 10 ]

"Give him more time"? "They keep getting better and better"? Look at the data...
TB's ACC record 1st 2 years: 11-5 (.688)
TB's ACC record last 2 years: 10-6 (.625)

TB's ACC record 1st 4 years: 19-13 (.594)
TB's ACC record last 4 years: 18-14 (.563)

He's gotten worse!

TB did better with 100% Hatfield recruits than his own recruits. And look at the chronological ACC-place-finish that I posted before. There is no upward trajectory in his results, is there?

Personally, I think it's meaningless to talk about 9-win seasons when you pack the schedule with cupcakes like C-Mich, LaMon, & Furman. The cupcakes mask how poor Bowden's (and Spence's) results have been. That's why I posted TB's pathetic stats against Top 25, Top 10, ACC, and BCS-conference schools. Sure Bowden can beat up on cupcakes, no problem. But Bowden is .583 in ACC play. I think that's lame. But I respect your right to be happy with Clemson winning just over half of its ACC games.

Personally, I want Clemson to be a Top 25 kind of team. And in order to do that, you need to be able to beat the Top 25 about half the time. Bowden loses to the Top 25 finishers about 80% of the time. I really want Clemson to be a Top 10 kind of team. Bowden has lost to Top 10 finishers 100% of the time.

Nothing would make me happier than for a nice guy like TB to turn the corner and bring home an ACC title this season, and regularly thereafter for many decades, until he retires as the winningest coach in history. I think he's a good guy. But I think the data pretty clearly shows that he's not a very good coach.

Apr 16, 2008, 9:29 PM

Well, I hope these tickets are included at no charge. I understand we want to keep the money 'in state,' but this borders on ridiculous. What a return on my IPTAY level donation.

Wow, 4 posts in 10 years.... that's a record.***

Apr 16, 2008, 10:10 PM

Now THIS is HD at its finest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: Wow, 4 posts in 10 years.... that's a record.***

Apr 22, 2008, 9:02 AM

I can beat that****

Gives "donation," expects something in return

Apr 17, 2008, 12:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson to Play Coastal Carolina in 2009 ]

Maybe we should call it something other than a "donation" unless you just give the money then don't use it to get a parking space or tickets.

Apr 17, 2008, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson to Play Coastal Carolina in 2009 ]

I give money to IPTAY also and I consider a "W" the best return I can get. I know these games are jokes, but they are sooooo good for the team. Its like practice where you can try new things and put players in that will be leading the team next year. Also if there are any injuries like last year, it will be easy for that player to take the week off. Its almost like a bye week to recoup and get ready for the next big dog. I like watching Clemson Whoop up on someone, no matter who. You get to see some really athletic long plays and tons of offence and great defending. If you ever played before you also realize how great this game is for the guys that will maybe never start or play unless games like this are on the schedule. I am excited to see the next few years schedule play out, but since you "donate" and want to see results, you better hope we get better. Otherwise you are going to be wishing we had a team like coastal on there instead to ensure bowl elligibility. I like playing good teams but when it comes down to it, all I really care about is winning the ACC and "W's" and "L's"

Since we are scheduling cup cakes why not add Notre Dame

Apr 17, 2008, 7:58 AM

to that schedule. Atleast we would get a sell out with an easy W.

Apr 17, 2008, 12:29 PM

Really this is absurd!! Can we play a tougher non conference schedule than coastal and MTSU!! I mean when nobody knows what the hell the letters stand for in the team your playing you know there's a problem!! And what a cookie cutter for this year two D1 AA teams in the same season does anybody else out there think this is a joke? And I know your going to say but we play Bama so what they sunk almost as fast as the shamecocks last year! And they are our toughest non conference threat! If tommy doesn't win AT LEAST 10 next year then he should be fired on the spot no questions asked you had more than your fair allotment of chances and you blew it!! With the schedule we have for next year I'm dead serios is saying this a 4 year old little girl could win at leat 5 as coach

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic