Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dan DeVine and Death Valley noise
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Dan DeVine and Death Valley noise

Oct 6, 2014, 9:29 PM

In 1977, Notre Dame was preparing to come to Death Valley. During the week of the game, DeVine was questioned about the noise factor that Clemson fans were known for. He said something to the effect, that they better not be loud while we have the ball! What an idiot! I remember , even as a teenager, being so pumped up for that game. Also, please remember,in 1977, no upperdecks! We gave it to the Irish all day long! Kid named Joe Montana came in and led a come back that beat us 21 to 17... but what a game. Left with no voice and much satisfaction that DeVine got an earful. Lets show Petrino what Death Valley really means Saturday Tigers.... to compare us to Syracuse alone is total disrespect! Show up proud and loud! GO TIGERS

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dan DeVine and Death Valley noise

Oct 6, 2014, 9:42 PM

I was there. Devine complained to officials all game long,they never had the guts to throw a flog on him. Never saw another coach in DV act like he did that day.
We went to their house and settled the score in 1979.

Oct 6, 2014, 9:59 PM

I think that I remember him holding up the game for like 5 minutes talking/complaining to the officials. Am I right or am I dreaming?

He stayed two yards out on the field all game too.***

Oct 7, 2014, 3:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Dan DeVine and Death Valley noise ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2014, 9:55 PM

Was there as well...I remember Devine, after the game was decided, turning to the North stands crowd and giving the double-barrel, one-finger salute. What a class act he was, but it was great knowing we got to him that much.

Oct 6, 2014, 10:06 PM

I was there as well. He actually walked out on the field at one point and picked up the flag and held it at official challenging him and still did not get an unsportsmanlike. But that was one loud place that day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2014, 10:15 PM

Those were the days when the Clemson crowd was loud. Us old guys have been so loud on the road the game was stopped. At home, we were so loud other coaches complained and the rule about penalizing the home team for noise was developed just for us.

Nowdays I notice the younger crowd is kinda meek, mild and generally quiet. I am sure you young whippersnappers could yell if you wanted to do so, but mostly yall are church mice at a ball game.

Yep, this is a challenge from an old leather lunged geezer who thinks not enough people yell enough at Clemson games.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, us Silverbacks gargled with gasoline and ground glass

Oct 6, 2014, 10:20 PM

Think y'all can do better?

Let's hear it Saturday!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, us Silverbacks gargled with gasoline and ground glass

Oct 6, 2014, 10:28 PM

Rev you were there LOL you old fart

Yep ... and I was there the next year

Oct 6, 2014, 10:33 PM

...when we back NC State off the ball at their field and drew a crowd noise penalty. IIRC it's the only time a visiting crowd was flagged for it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol....Ted who??***

Oct 7, 2014, 4:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our Brown's better than your's ...***

Oct 7, 2014, 7:06 AM

Re: Yep, us Silverbacks gargled with gasoline and ground glass

Oct 7, 2014, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Yep, us Silverbacks gargled with gasoline and ground glass ]

Was there for 1977 game. Could not believe that DeVine actually measured the yard lines to ensure they were correct.

Oct 6, 2014, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan DeVine and Death Valley noise ]

Yea,

I was a freshman in '72 during the Hooty Ingram erra.
So you can guess we didn't win more than 3 or 4 games a year. But I remember losing my voice EVERY game.

Oct 6, 2014, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan DeVine and Death Valley noise ]

You know they put in a rule because of us LOL I think that's gone now.

looks like Syracuse @ Carrier Dome really gave us shivers

Oct 6, 2014, 10:11 PM

LOL! I hope we send Louisville packing with gauze in their ringing ears & tampons in their....well, you know ;)

Go Tigers!

Oct 6, 2014, 10:16 PM

My first game at the valley. DeVine says quiet, Pell says YELL, Midnight pep rally was awesome!!!!!!!

Why did they stop having them????

Oct 6, 2014, 10:21 PM

I was at same pep rally. Unreal. Decided then and there this was where I was gonna go spend my formidable years lol

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RC Edwards came to the amphitheater ....

Oct 6, 2014, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan DeVine and Death Valley noise ]

He warned students not to go over to the Holiday Inn where Notre Dame was staying because it didn't reflect well on Clemson.

"Save your voices for the game," he said.

And we did.

Re: RC Edwards came to the amphitheater ....

Oct 6, 2014, 10:30 PM

RC had, had few drinks that night LOL I was a freshman in HIGH SCHOOL LOL but i had friends that were in school

Mid night pep rally rocked

Oct 6, 2014, 10:17 PM

I was visiting Clemson that weekend as a senior in high school. Will never forget the Dillard hall sheet with this quite" I like Dan Devine but then again I like diarrhea" lol go tigers

Oct 6, 2014, 10:18 PM

It was hanging from johnstone from like 4 th floor facing tilman

Oct 6, 2014, 10:20 PM

Was Rudy there?

Two years after Rudy, I believe...

Oct 6, 2014, 10:27 PM

Dan Devine started in 1975, IIRC

Oct 6, 2014, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Dan DeVine and Death Valley noise ]

> Was Rudy there?

Rudy played in the 1975 Georgia Tech game.

Ahh...A Golden Domer in our midst. Welcome future foe.***

Oct 7, 2014, 3:25 AM

Re: Ahh...A Golden Domer in our midst. Welcome future foe.***

Oct 7, 2014, 10:45 AM

Thank you. I'm here every now and again. When ND signed on to play 5 ACC games a year, I thought it would be worthwhile to see what is going on at an ACC school where football is a huge deal. That left Clemson and FSU. I chose to stop in here.

Oct 6, 2014, 10:48 PM

I was there. The band did the entire pre-game performance without hitting a note. They marched through the routine. People in the stands pretended to clap. When the Tigers arrived at top of hill, silence. You could have heard a pin drop during pre-game and the Tigers arrival. But, boy, oh boy, when the Tigers came down the hill, he knew what he was in for. And we never let up until that Qb, some kid named Montana that had the flu came in the game. He put on a show.

Oct 7, 2014, 3:18 AM

Awesome story and memory mate! I was there in the West stands. STILL one of the loudest football crowds that I have EVER heard. Thanks for the memory there.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should I wear my purple?***

Oct 7, 2014, 7:41 AM

I was at the 77 and 79 games against Notre Dame....

Oct 7, 2014, 8:22 AM

Bear in mind, the 77 game was played before the upper decks were constructed and I still maintain the 77 game was the loudest game ever played in Death Valley.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

that was my first Clemson game

Oct 7, 2014, 9:17 AM

9 yrs. old with Uncle and Pop who was ND fan since the 40's. Montana led them on winning drive right towards our end zone. That game made me a Tiger for life and I got Jon Brooks' mouthpiece and belt after game, Montana patted me on the head while my Pop talked to him and Ken McAfee, ND's all american TE, told us he had never been hit that hard in his life. DV had my ears ringing for two days after that game and it made my Pop a closet Tiger fan til he died.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic