Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
looking like another coaching bloodbath this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

looking like another coaching bloodbath this year

Sep 19, 2017, 7:37 PM

Some very, very unhappy fan bases this year, especially in the SEC, and it looks like it's going to be a race to the finish-line to see who can wipe their coach out first. Big problem is, there's a distinct shortage of primo HC candidates out there this year - I see a Chip Kelly, who somebody is probably going to have to throw $7-$8 million plus at, as lean as the market is, and I see Chad Morris, who is doing some durn fine work at SMU...he's got the Mustangs 2-1 and gave TCU all they wanted before the Frogs pulled away in the fourth last week.

After that, it's slim pickings. Les Miles is still out there if somebody wants to give the Hatter another spin and somebody will likely have to. And of course Bobby Petrino will be back applying for any job he considers better than Louisville now that his $10 million buyout has expired. You figure somebody's going to throw huge money at Dan Mullen too just because he's got Mississippi State at Not Terrible.

But wow the SEC is in disarray.
In the SEC East, Mizzou and Tennessee will almost certainly open.
*Barry Odom is as good as fired already at Mizzou.
* Butch Jones is basically DOA the second it becomes obvious Tennessee will not win the East. Which is already pretty obvious.
*Chicken fans are already becoming disillusioned with Muschamp but he likely lasts another year because, well, who else they going to get, especially now?

In the SEC West, everybody except Mullen and of course, Nick Saban, is at risk.
*Kevin Sumlin's seat is scorching at A&M. A&M is making noises about coming after Dabo but I'd expect them to be the lead dog after Chip Kelly when it's all said and done if they don't go after Morris, who has always wanted the gig.
*Ed Orgeron is on way thin ice at LSU. Big surprise. He was terrible at Ole Miss.
*Matt Luke is very much the interim guy at Ole Miss and has impressed no one thus far. But who can they get with the NCAA breathing down their necks?
*Brett Bielema is 26-27 in his fourth season at Arkansas and already dropped one to TCU this year. Hogs fans are getting restless.
*Gus Malzahn is on very brittle footing at Auburn. He's an offensive guru whose offense has been terrible for a couple of seasons now.

There's some other noteworthy ones nationwide:
*Mike Riley at Nebraska. They just lost to Northern Illinois. Enough said.
*Brian Kelly at Notre Dame. If he doesn't win at least 8 games this year, he's done.
*Steve Addazio at Boston College. They're 1-2 this season and got skunked by 30 by Wake Forest. At home.
*Todd Graham at Arizona State. He just lost to San Diego State and Texas Tech, and was 5-7 last year. He also lost - get this - his last six games to finish 2016 after starting 5-1, which means he's now 1-8 over his last nine games. Ouch.
*Rich Rod at Arizona. Yes, Rich Rod. He has a massive buyout, which could save him, but the fans don't like him, he's producing no NFL talent these days, and his team is 2-1 and lost to Houston a couple weeks ago...after he went 3-9 last year after a really mediocre 7-6 2015 season. That ain't good, Rich Rod.

Bottom line is we could see 10+ coaches gone from major programs, and another dozen (at the very least) the ones under that.

Whatever, expect major coaching carnage this year...and expect it to start early. As I mentioned, the ranks of replacements has seldom looked this thin, nationally.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: looking like another coaching bloodbath this year

Sep 19, 2017, 8:28 PM

There will be a long line at Bob Stoops' front door.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no different than any other year***

Sep 19, 2017, 8:50 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There might be a line at Tony Elliott's and Jeff Scott's

Sep 19, 2017, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: looking like another coaching bloodbath this year ]

doors also from that mix to be honest. Plus BV of course. Programs are going to be willing to invest a great deal in a major piece of the Clemson phenomenon. With the higher rate of turnover lately it seems you start running out of candidates.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There might be a line at Tony Elliott's and Jeff Scott's

Sep 20, 2017, 12:39 PM

Exactly. High turnover with a lean coaching market means that as terrible as these coaches are, Jones, Malzahn, etc etc, they will likely stay. Who can you replace them with?

Take Auburn. Well, Malzahn has been disappointing the past few years, but he has taken Auburn to a major bowl and National Championship berth. If there are such slim pickings and the really good coaches are settled in at their "destination" programs, what do you do?

The cost effective option is hang on to Malzahn and Jones, etc until the buyout expires, then not renew the contract.

Sep 19, 2017, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Re: looking like another coaching bloodbath this year ]

I can see Bob Stoops going to Tennessee for 9 million a year, if they can afford that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't think Stoops will take another coaching gig.

Sep 20, 2017, 9:20 AM

I think he'll be the AD at OU one day.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it is hilarious that Texas A&M thinks Dabo would be interested.

Sep 19, 2017, 8:59 PM

They think highly of themselves at A&M for some reason, even though they haven't even won 10 games or finished above .500 in their conference since 2012. No way that is close to being as good a job as Clemson is right now. Dabo has no reason to consider it, in terms of football or his personal life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I think it is hilarious that Texas A&M thinks Dabo would be interested.

Sep 19, 2017, 11:20 PM

The only thing good about them is their huge amount of $$$$$$.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

IMHO money will never be an issue with Dabo

Sep 20, 2017, 8:44 AM

The Clemson job right now is arguably the best in college football and that includes Alabama.

Outsiders seem to believe that Dabo would jump at an offer from Bama, but there is no logic to that.

He's already proven that anything he could do at Alabama, he can do at Clemson.

Going to Bama post-Saban would be a no win situation. Chances for failure would be tremendous.

Dabo will retire at Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This ^^^

Sep 20, 2017, 9:23 AM

Dabo passed on a couple of pay increases and had the money directed instead to his coaching staff. He's an incredibly smart guy. He knows he gets bonuses for winning the ACCCG and bowl games, but also realized that once he has the correct coaches he needs to make sure they are rewarded, happy and not looking elsewhere. That building of the infrastructure from the inside at the front end leads to rewards at the back end.

Certainly someone will leave when the Brinks truck backs up in their driveway, but I'd never envision a mass exodus.

FWIW it looks like the "Culture at Clemson" doesn't stop at the end of the 4th quarter, rather it runs through the veins of the program for 52 weeks a year.

Sep 19, 2017, 9:05 PM

I would expect Brent Venebles, Tony Elliott, and Jeff Scott to start getting a lot of phone calls.

Right after Dabo turns them all down.***

Sep 20, 2017, 9:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mullen will be out at Miss St if he keeps winning

Sep 19, 2017, 9:23 PM

That dude has been trying like hell to get out of Starkville.

But Florida has called twice.... And he hasn't budged...

Sep 19, 2017, 11:45 PM

> That dude has been trying like hell to get out of
> Starkville.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can throw Dorren and Mora at UCLA

Sep 19, 2017, 10:20 PM

on to that list. A lot of assistants will get jobs. I think guys like Claussen will move on after a winning season at Wake. Will probably be quite a few NFL assistants or former head coaches show up at some prominent jobs. But if jobs like aTm and LSU, not to mention Nebraska open up, it will be a bidding war for a small pool of candidates. Could see a guy like Bielema make a somewhat parallel move with the writing on the wall.

Re: You can throw Dorren and Mora at UCLA

Sep 19, 2017, 11:03 PM

LSU is 100% not firing Orgeeon after 1 year. Their athletic department is broke after paying Miles buyout.

Sep 19, 2017, 10:24 PM

Pretty much nailed it quozz!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2017, 10:35 PM

Thanks, keep commenting!

Very thankful Rich Rod was never considered for Clemson

Sep 19, 2017, 10:58 PM

HC.

Re: Very thankful Rich Rod was never considered for Clemson

Sep 20, 2017, 12:32 AM

Nice post quozzel

You're right about Rich Rod. He is the exact opposite of Dabo. Can't coach and is a real a$$ hat. He SCREAMS obscenities at his players routinely. When he left WVU suddenly, he shredded everything in his office, including all the notes on recruiting.

Kingsbury at Texas Tech

Sep 20, 2017, 1:03 AM

could be in trouble if things go south during Big 12 play. They have had a decent start but wait until they start playing Big 12 teams.

Also could the Rutgers coach be in trouble? Only been there a couple of years but they have been absolutely dire with no signs of improvement

Don't forget about Fedora and Doeren at unc &

Sep 20, 2017, 1:29 AM

NCSt respectively....underachieving, unable to recruit effectively, both may have another season before the hammer drops, but barring some kind of miraculous turnaround a call to Mayflower is in both their futures

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 2:19 AM

With SEC money to play with, wouldn't shock me to see someone take a run at Fuente.

Deer NCAA Football Programs,

Sep 20, 2017, 9:01 AM

Don't call me, I'll call you.

signed
Dabo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy Bowden is available***

Sep 20, 2017, 9:03 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 9:08 AM

Muschamp will probably win 7 games and get an extension because it's viewed as a step in the right direction. But that guy won't win big games consistently at South Carolina.

I think one of the biggest issues is that a lot of these same coaches keep getting recycled and they expect different results. The SEC is the worst about it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Butch Jones get fired and end up as a coordinator in the SEC somewhere and work his way back into a head coaching job, probably in that same conference.

Sep 20, 2017, 9:13 AM

I don't give a hoot-in-yell what coaching changes take place as long as one of them ain't DABO!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've always kinda liked Steve Addazio

Sep 20, 2017, 9:15 AM

despite his odd little comment about the solar eclipse. He seems like a good guy.

But man, those BC fans up there at Flutie/Matt Ryan U are probably getting tired of being behind Wake Forest and Virgina for conference doormat. A once proud football school is not fairing well and I'm sure they are ready for a change. How hard is it, though, to get a decent college coach in a professional sports loving town? Poor BC. Hard to imagine we lost 3 in a row to them back in the day.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've always kinda liked Steve Addazio

Sep 20, 2017, 9:30 AM

They had a four game win streak. 83, 2005, 2006, 2007. We have owned them of late though.

Fans? BC has fans? Who knew?

Sep 20, 2017, 10:26 AM [ in reply to I've always kinda liked Steve Addazio ]

BC was always under-fanned, while USuC has always been over-fanned.

Adazzio seems a good guy, but his in-game calls and management are crap.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fans? BC has fans? Who knew?

Sep 20, 2017, 1:09 PM

When Coach Caldwell retires, no rush IMO, Adazzio would be a good option with his O Line background and experience in recruiting Florida and New England. Of course - Dabo's call!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Adagio is one of those guys who keeps his job

Sep 20, 2017, 2:44 PM [ in reply to I've always kinda liked Steve Addazio ]

just because he talks like a tough football coach

Re: I think Dave Doeren at NCSt will be fired this year.

Sep 20, 2017, 12:25 PM

Screw Calford.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic