Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What was TNET like in the late 90’s thru early 00’s?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

What was TNET like in the late 90’s thru early 00’s?

Sep 27, 2018, 7:12 PM

I ask cause if this place is crawling with coots and dumpers despite being a national contender on an annual basis, what was the dumper topic of the day then...and what did board coots have to say...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What was TNET like in the late 90’s thru early 00’s?

Sep 27, 2018, 7:21 PM

I recall that discourse was civil and posters were intelligent. Of course, that was true for most of the internet then.

This devolution to the current state of affairs isn't unique to TNET.

And coots didn't have access to TNET back then. Their trailer parks hadn't gotten their AOL disks in the mail yet. BOOM! HEAD SHOT!

:)

Sep 27, 2018, 7:43 PM

It was for sure nothing like it is today. Seems like there was more bannhammer, less trolling.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mostly people talking about how Tommy Bowden is such a good

Sep 27, 2018, 7:44 PM

Christian man that Clemson will surely win the ACC championship some day soon and he should never be fired no matter what.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The KB situation this week reminded of the day TB resigned

Sep 27, 2018, 7:59 PM

As far as Tigernet goes.

All the speculation, then it was announced and this board was divided and it stayed divided until we beat LSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pumpers and dumpers!! Good one!

Sep 28, 2018, 12:38 AM

I started reading in 2003-2004ish on tigernet2, but didn't register for 5 yrs or so to post.
Enjoying everyone's posts here!

null

We got the fax machines humming for the Idaho Bowl

Sep 27, 2018, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Mostly people talking about how Tommy Bowden is such a good ]

and then bought tickets and donated them to charity if we could not afford the trip.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We got the fax machines humming for the Idaho Bowl

Sep 27, 2018, 10:02 PM

Than d@mn blue field...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well you see.

Sep 27, 2018, 7:48 PM

The reason why the TNET is so troll laden is because Trolls are still TRAFFIC for the TNET owners. Just ask'em. And that is where they git there moneys mostly. So for every real fan of Clemson who leaves because of the Trolls, 20 other coots, dawgs, and super trolls are logging time in here. Banhammer ain't coming to save any Clemson men or women as long as they don't break rules they can talk all the #### they wish to.
hth.

Sep 27, 2018, 7:53 PM

You could only post 1 thing. “Has Tymere got his score yet?”

Sep 27, 2018, 7:59 PM

I ember what it was like in mid 90's .... nothing like today

Back then the dumpers sounded something like this...

Sep 27, 2018, 8:00 PM

"Tommy Bowden is a great coach and there's NO WAY we can do better than him".

"Who do we think we are anyways"?

"We'll never be as good as schools like FSU, FL, or TENN, because we can't compete with them for recruits"

"It's not the 80's anymore people, wake up"!

"Clemson fans who think we should be winning 9+ games a year are living in the past"

"We're realistically a 7-5, or 8-4 program".

"Fans that don't agree with that opinion are living in the past".

"We'll never be a National Championship caliber program again because the college football landscape has changed too much since the 80's".

Clemson fans should be thankful that we have Tommy Bowden and better just be happy he hasn't left us for a better job, yet".

The reason we cant compete with the FSU's, TENN's, and FL's of the world is because Clemson University is too small and we don't have enough money to lure away, or keep and elite coach".

....just off the top of my head.

The Dumpers were the Pumpers back then. The Pumpers were the "we should be happy with 7-5 seasons" crowd.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually don’t remember that... I remember a lot of

Sep 27, 2018, 8:31 PM

We need Danny back.

Dial up was a pain. Tigernet2 it was called at first... Tigernet was a website some of the new bandwagon fans would have liked.

Their weren’t the bandwagon fans like there are now. Not that many personal attacks.

Civil discourse for the most part.

The Bowden Bowl started putting Clemson back on the National scene.

We loved the Woody Package because that is all West could muster out of the offense that last year.

We loved Rich Rods offense he brought along when Tommy Brought him from Tulane.

We talked about having a Chance against Fla St and Va Tech.

Brandon Streeter scores his first TD against a highly ranked FL St team. He started in place of an injured Nelon Green and start throwing passes down field. We were loving it until the Dirty Defense of Fla St hit him late after a pass.

Before the high ankle sprain we all thought Woody had a real shot at the Heisman... first Quarteback to throw for 2000 and run for 1000.

Overall ... not as many A$$hats...

Re: I have a better memory than you

Sep 27, 2018, 9:17 PM

...because I remember all of it. :)

We had way less a$$hats and bandwagon fans, but we weren't winning as much either.

I also remember being very frusterated with the "younger Tiger Grads" who grew up during the Tommy West and TB years. Not a lot of them understood we could be "Great" again OR that Clemson's leadership was holding the football program back, which was bad for the university.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2018, 8:01 PM

Tnet's internet infancy was sorta like the Wild West and, IMO, considerably edgier than it is now. Rusty the Rooster, the late TrooperDel and their feathered minions literally would invade the boards spewing hatred and lies...(TrooperDel's sister probably STILL hates Tigernetters after several told the truth about his shenanigans upon his passing---she sent a nastynote to Tnet calling all of us disreputable names. Trust me, there was no love lost between fgf and Tnet and at least one "confrontation" at a Lowe's/Home Depot parking lot in Rock Hill went unresolved because the chicken participant failed to show. The Tnetter involved shall remain nameless--unless he decides to reveal.

There were several "Tigernet Socials" held before a big baseball game--even the Tiger baseball team got fed---and getting permission to give them lunch nearly required papal dispensation. (Haven't thought of the legendary Becky Bowman in a long time). Khalil Greene really did carry a piece of chicken around in the back pocket of his uniform. It was fun getting to know the other Tnet maniacs---mostly. Friendships were made during those years that I still cherish.

To be honest, things were a much more hostile betwixt Clemson fans and visiting chickens as Tommy and Brian were developing their policy as it happened on the boards. The months surrounding Tommy Bowden's dismissal/resignation and Coach Swinney's hire were pretty divisive and chickentroll invasions were a daily occurrence

Tigernet facilities have improved greatly and Crump & Bmeist don't get near the kudos they deserve.

A book on those times would make for an interesting read.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2018, 9:30 PM

Nice post!

Sep 27, 2018, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Re: What was TNET like in the late 90’s thru early 00’s? ]

Thanks for posting. I've been a follower for 3-4 yrs, but only registered to post not too long ago. I don't think the trolls / coots cause much trouble, I just ignore them. The Tnet content and thoughtful posters, and occasionally humorous posts, are well worth it. It's especially nice for me, as I live so far out of the area and I get content I've never found anywhere else.

Thanks fellow Tigers, let's go beat sone oranges to a pulp !

Sep 27, 2018, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: What was TNET like in the late 90’s thru early 00’s? ]

Ole Razzmatazz was in many a dust up during the DS hire era from what I remember. I also remember him posting on ESPN back when their comments section was actually half decent

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Average IQ here has dropped about 125 points***

Sep 27, 2018, 8:01 PM

less people b1tching about KB!***

Sep 27, 2018, 8:11 PM

It was always a good day when Happycat

Sep 27, 2018, 8:20 PM

decided to hold court. Harley still posts on occasion, but back then he was a major contributor and always a great take.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Yep, I miss some of the old posters...

Sep 27, 2018, 8:33 PM

Happycat and Harley were good. Glad we have Quozzel around...honestly, I even miss COOT4LIFE!

It was a different era for sure, but I enjoy the RAG posts now and the humor that's evolved. TNet has always been funny...definitely my favorite website from the last 20 years. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember intelligence and green monochrome text. And

Sep 27, 2018, 8:39 PM

punchcards. Definitely remember punch cards.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember intelligence and green monochrome text. And

Sep 27, 2018, 9:27 PM

I remember 8 track tapes, on the side of the road, with their guts puked out for 30' or more.

It was more about Clemson sports and less about the Coots.***

Sep 27, 2018, 9:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I remember

Sep 27, 2018, 9:37 PM

I used to post much more than I do now. Always looked forward to Happycat and Harley’s posts.

the 60's were the worst on TNET ....but the drugs were cheap

Sep 27, 2018, 9:53 PM

and the sex was free so it was tolerable

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Wasnt there a “dictionary” of sorts that explained origins

Sep 27, 2018, 10:00 PM

Of terminology, sayings, meanings?

Sep 27, 2018, 11:59 PM

I rarely post but I was so resigned to mediocrity in 2003, I created my handle and stated that Clemson would never be anything more than an 8-4 team. We should be happy with that. I also thought the Dabo hire was a poor choice. I wasn’t the only one but few on the board would admit it now.

I’ll be the first to admit, it sounds ridiculous now. It didn’t then. I spent ‘92-‘96 at Clemson and those were some lean years so you have to cut me some slack.

I didn’t grow up a Clemson fan so I didn’t understand the passion from those that witnessed the 80s. I thought the people on this board clamoring for a Natty were smoking crack. I loved my school but I never imagined little old Clemson would be where it is today. This has been a fantastic ride and I’m now the proud parent of a Clemson student.

On the plus side, tickets were cheap and traffic didn’t suck back then!

no one mentions “Taters” anymore***

Sep 28, 2018, 12:10 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you could post semi nudes

Sep 28, 2018, 12:23 AM

and Crump's language filter was still in its infancy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and a photo gallery section!

Sep 28, 2018, 12:28 AM

What was her name?

Car, Clemson short-shorts, T-shirt cut off at the navel,,,, :)

Re: and a photo gallery section!

Sep 28, 2018, 1:03 AM

clemson kate

yes!***

Sep 28, 2018, 8:40 PM

you're welcome***

Sep 28, 2018, 8:54 PM

Less aholes and wanna be comedians***

Sep 28, 2018, 8:55 PM

Sounds boring.***

Sep 28, 2018, 9:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

It has taken a lot of hard work..

Sep 28, 2018, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Less aholes and wanna be comedians*** ]

and tnet has come a long way

LOL***

Sep 28, 2018, 8:57 PM

Fun, friendly, a great little cube community.

Sep 28, 2018, 9:25 PM

There were reunions at baseball games where we would have tshirts with our handles stitched on.

i Don’t post hardly st all anymore but have been around for

Sep 28, 2018, 10:40 PM

Many years.

In addition to happycat and Harley, we had tons of other regular posters who were fantastic people.

Catahoula
Sterling
Capt Crash
JoeCobb (former player for Danny)
Pgtbeauregard

And many more I’m friends in Facebook with but have forgotten their handles.

A lot of fun was had. Stories were told and stories were made... and made up.

One TigerNet baseball outing saw a storm roll through and a tree take a lightning strike and a branch fell on a players car right next to where we were. The whole team ran out there to see it.

I’ve made many friends in there and miss the days of sanity and the moments of insanity.

Those days were really good... far fewer trolls. I miss it but it was time to go.

I am a bitter and angry man.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic