Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shame on Daniel Rodriguez
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 96
| visibility 1

Shame on Daniel Rodriguez

Dec 23, 2014, 10:07 AM

"It was kind of unfortunate; I wanted to get more playing time at Clemson. I felt that I was good enough to play," Rodriguez said. "But I wasn't on scholarship; the reality is they're going to play the people they're invested in. In the NFL, they're going to play the best. It's not as political as it is in college."

For a couple of years now I've ignored what some at the university have said about Daniel Rodriguez. The quote above won't let me ignore it any longer.

When they said he was selfish, I didn't respond. They called him an A$$, I let that go as well. I didn't jump to his defense because of what I'd seen, just through the media, TV and social. I was concerned when I saw how much he made sure he was videoed in Afghanistan but the story was exciting and it was Clemson.

I didn't respond in kind because I gave Daniel Rodriguez the benefit of the doubt. I was excited when the story of Daniel coming to Clemson broke and brought the roof down when he finally scored that TD vs the Citadel.

Many of us that are also combat veterans have seen much more than Daniel did in Afghanistan. There are thousands more that have seen more than I have. There's a "greatest generation" that's named such in part due to their reluctance to be labeled as heroes.

As a fellow combat veteran, I appreciate Daniel's experiences in an environment that makes strong men weak.

What I don't appreciate is Daniel's eager willingness to selfishly capitalize, financially and otherwise, on a duty that so many others of us have also stepped up for. In an era where the term "hero" is watered down to the point of needing to find another word, Daniel Rodriguez has become someone I cringe each time I hear his name.

I will not buy Daniel's book.

I will not watch Daniel's movie.

I appreciate his time at Clemson but mostly I appreciate Daniel's service to our country and will forever be grateful that Daniel Rodriguez stepped up at a time his country needed him to.

As for all the accolades, well I'm done with that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shame on Daniel Rodriguez

Dec 23, 2014, 10:14 AM

No shame for me. He's just simply not good enough and several players riding pine think they're better than the starter when they're not.

I read where he wants to play in the nfl. Good luck to him, but come on, dabo did this guy a favor letting him play when he might have been the worst football player on the team, literally.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2014, 10:19 AM

While I do not think Daniel was the worst player on the team, he's of a far different talent level than it takes to play in the NFL.

I wish him luck with everything his future holds.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2014, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Shame on Daniel Rodriguez ]

His book is terrific. He agonizes in it over his role as a military mascot when he dreamed of being an athlete. He worked for it and repeatedly expresses gratitude to Coach Swinney and Coach Morris. He makes Clemson look like a great program and an even better school. He was awed by the fans on fan day. Shame on him? Shame is what he expresses as his deepest wound from his service, and Clemson helped turn some of what was left into pride.

So others handle worse ordeals in battle and on their return? Well I appreciate them too.

Is he a nice guy? I've never bumped into him in a bar, so I'll rely on Tigernet for the facts on that.

Otherwise, I'm looking at the world through orange-tinted glass and logging off Tigernet, the fan site, the only place I see people getting really bashed for that.

He is an A$$. Biggest one on the team.***

Dec 23, 2014, 10:17 AM

Re: He is an A$$. Biggest one on the team.***

Dec 23, 2014, 10:22 AM

I haven't heard that before. Can you provide examples of why?

webrep is the A$$ for posting this bs!***

Dec 23, 2014, 11:11 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Webrep has fought in a war so he has credibility. Have

Dec 23, 2014, 11:15 AM

you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: He has played with his video games.***

Dec 23, 2014, 11:22 AM

Re: I agree. Some people love to make a mountain out of a

Dec 23, 2014, 11:21 AM [ in reply to webrep is the A$$ for posting this bs!*** ]

mole hill. Kinda small of them.

Re: webrep is the A$$ for posting this bs!***

Dec 23, 2014, 11:25 AM [ in reply to webrep is the A$$ for posting this bs!*** ]

I had a lot of respect for him until I met him. I have seen him downtown getting drinks and he acts like the most self entitled person I have ever come across. I once saw a female accidently bump into him when he was carrying a pitcher and he stopped, turned around, glared at her (while she was apologizing) and said "you better watch it" in a very threatening tone. This quote from his book fits right along with the entitled attitude I assumed he had after crossing paths with him. Just about every other player I've met seem like standup, nice guys (none more so than Tajh).

A long-time family friend of mine is a freshman

Dec 23, 2014, 11:36 AM

this year, and naturally I took him downtown to one of the bars that lets 18+ in the door, and 21+ drink. He saw Rodriguez at the bar and lit up, talked about how awesome his story was, and said he wanted a picture with him.

He approaches Rodriguez and simply says "Hey man, can we snap a pic real quick?" Daniel got a disgusted look on his face and said "you ####### gay dude?" I mean seriously? What a ####.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same Experience

Dec 23, 2014, 11:46 AM

That doesn't surprise me at all. My story was just one of many occasions where he proved who he really was. A lot of people just turn a blind eye to it, but my opinion is that nothing you do gives you the right to treat others, especially women, the way he does. Just my opinion.

Don't blame it on webrep. Those are Daniel's words, not

Jan 6, 2015, 8:37 PM [ in reply to webrep is the A$$ for posting this bs!*** ]

webrep's.

I can vouch for this personally and got down voted to hell

Dec 23, 2014, 11:10 AM [ in reply to He is an A$$. Biggest one on the team.*** ]

When I talked about how he acts on campus, specifically to women at parties. It's terrible.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're not the only one.

Dec 23, 2014, 11:31 AM

Everyone who's been around him can't stand him.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

You're also usually the 1st one to say something bad...

Dec 23, 2014, 1:42 PM [ in reply to I can vouch for this personally and got down voted to hell ]

about players or coaches, so I'm not surprised you're saying this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh...what?

Dec 23, 2014, 1:49 PM

Are you making things up now, because that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Dec 23, 2014, 10:18 AM

Well said Webrep. It looks like DR was trying to capitalize off his military experience and time at Clemson for personal gain. I just lost a lot of respect for him this morning, but still appreciate his service to the country.

AMEN

Shame on you! Give Daniel a break, he has worked hard to

get where he is and believing in himself helped him get this far. I hope we blow Oklahoma away and Daniel gets to show out in the 4th quarter. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

People like you are part of the problem

You just close your eyes behind your orange colored glasses and pretend the negativity is there.

I've seen him treat girls like dirt. I've seen him call my girlfriend a "f-ing ho" because she wouldn't dance with him at a party. And I've seen him pull the whole "I'm a war veteran" card way more than any veteran should. He carries himself with an arrogance that is not consistent with the values of the US Military. I appreciate his service, I really do, but it has gotten to the point where everything is about HIM.

Remember Kyrin Priester? He transferred out because Rodriguez was before him on the depth chart, and I can confirm that as a fact. Priester was far more talented too, so if Rodriguez wants to talk about "politics" he was BY FAR benefitting on the receiving end of these "politics". Realistically, Daniel might have been 2nd team somewhere like the Citadel. Dabo did him a huge favor and now, again, it's becoming all about himself.

Exactly... When your team mates call you Lt. Dan....

Dec 23, 2014, 11:25 AM

It isn't out of respect.

This was an ad campaign... That's all... A feel good story.

he called your girlfriend a 'F'ing ho' ?? I don't remember

Dec 23, 2014, 11:33 AM [ in reply to People like you are part of the problem ]

Daniel nursing a broken jaw.....

Just Sayin.

Or maybe I'm being obtuse.

Re: he called your girlfriend a 'F'ing ho' ?? I don't remember

Dec 23, 2014, 5:03 PM

"Let's give him another month to think about it...or am I am being obtuse?"

Sorry, couldn't help but quote the Warden from Shawshank

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I agree wholeheartedly. Most heroes keep their mouths shut.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wonder why he did not transfer?***

Dec 23, 2014, 10:21 AM

Re: Wonder why he did not transfer?***

Dec 23, 2014, 10:25 AM

Because Furman, Presbyterian, or Charleston Southern don't look good on a big screen in a movie theater.

Sometimes it is just better to not respond to things

Dec 23, 2014, 10:23 AM

that others say.

Wife, kids, relatives, friends, work associates, public or entertainment figures, etc. - just give them space and do not take them to serious.

Albeit, my sentiments are pretty close to yours regarding DR - almost biting the hand that fed you. He is still is a young man with some noble attributes, incredible and herioc life experiences but still some things to learn.

This is one of the great pieces of advice in life ! So true !

Dec 23, 2014, 11:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sometimes it is just better to not respond to things

Dec 24, 2014, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Sometimes it is just better to not respond to things ]

Well said. I won't comment, as I don't know, but this has opened my eyes some. Sorry so many have had bad experiences. I have not. I hope he changes, if they are accurate. He probably could be a very likable guy if he did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2014, 10:27 AM

Touche'! As a Clemson grad with 29 years service (Army), I've always felt Rodriguez to be a big egotist and munching off his "fame." He didn't receive more playing time because he was NOT the best available - simple as that!

Re If you can do the job then it is not bragging. I believe

Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 AM

that I would just drop it.

Jan 1, 2015, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Shame on Daniel Rodriguez ]

I couldn't agree more. If he had been that good, wouldn't it have made even a bigger story for Clemson and Dabo. War hero and very talented FB player finally got his chance at Clemson to prove he was a great athlete after serving his country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems Dabo really went out of his way to give him PT that

Jan 1, 2015, 12:35 PM

his skill level didn't really warrant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have much more authority to speak on it then I do

Dec 23, 2014, 10:29 AM

I agree with everything you said.

Do glad he's leaving.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Dec 23, 2014, 10:29 AM

Technically speaking he's a preferred walk-on. When you are a WR on a team loaded with some of the most recruited WR's in the country it's going to be tough to get on the field. I am thankful for his service and sacrifice but he had to know coming in to the situation that he would most likely just see the sidelines. There are 4* receivers that don't get to see the field like it is.

Dec 23, 2014, 10:33 AM

I'm thankful for the service he gave to this country! I don't think talent wise that he was anywhere close to the guys on the field. I think if he really believes the NFL, where big money is being played to under contract players, is less political than college, than he is nuts. Dabo plays 2 star guys if they are better than the 5 star guy. Robert Smith was a 2 star and has been a 2-3 year starter. Andre Branch was a 2 star and played over much higher recruited players. The NFL, where you are paid, is MUCH more political. Sorry to burst your bubble, Daniel. We are proud of you and thankful to you, but you aren't as talented as a WR as the guys in front of you.

Dec 23, 2014, 10:41 AM

Jeez. A lot of jealousy around here. Self marketing is the road to sucess in the 21st century. I think he is angling for political office in the future. If he is a republican we could probably get him a House seat in 2016. He would be the first politician to ever massively embellish his military service and milk the spotlight. Oh wait.

Jan 1, 2015, 12:58 PM

It would be great if he wants to continue in serving his country in public office. But if he is as rude to people, and as vulgar to women as some has said. I wouldn't want to see him serving in any of our government at any level. But then again, if the people that are making unfavorable statements against him because they don't like him and are jealous of the attention he gets b/c of his personal story or him being a FB player; then way more shame on them.

Whilst we're on the subject...

Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 AM

Does he tell why he took the time to set up a camera to video himself firing the gun during battle?

I didn't realize that was a selfie until I heard it mentioned during a telecast of one of our games this year. I was pretty shocked to hear that... I'm trying to understand how that doesn't get you a court-martial. Maybe that's just the way it is in today's armed services.

I've wondered this myself***

Dec 23, 2014, 10:33 AM

He was definitely not worthy of more playing time...below average talent, but I give him credit for putting forth the effort to make the team and probably provide some good leadership to the younger guys. You mean to tell me if someone wanted to make your life experiences into a book and/or movie that you wouldn't accept the offer....you're full of crap?!!! That's almost like hitting the lottery!

Well said

Dec 23, 2014, 10:36 AM

And thank you for your service.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no doubt that he is very proactive and very savvy

Dec 23, 2014, 10:45 AM

when it comes to promoting himself and creating a desired image. A book, a movie, the very slick recruiting promo he sent Dabo, etc. I also know he had a production company come to Clemson a few years ago to shoot a "music" video; quite a bit of footage was shot but no final product ever materialized. That's just what I/we know about. Bottom line - he's not your typical 18-21 year-old college student who is enjoying the carefree days of college life until they graduate and have to get a job. He is a man on a mission who sees a much bigger picture, and has very consciously crafted his image and used everything available, including his military experience, to promote himself every step of the way. He understands branding and sees himself and his story as a marketable product.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: There is no doubt that he is very proactive and very savvy

Dec 23, 2014, 10:49 AM

I think you're giving him too much credit. Without dabo letting him on the team and giving him some playing time, nobody would know who he is.

I don't disagree with that at all, and I'm not attempting to

Dec 23, 2014, 11:03 AM

give him "credit". Just stating the facts. Dabo has been a big part of DR's story, but DR has been tirelessly self-promoting for a long time, and it has paid off.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 23, 2014, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: There is no doubt that he is very proactive and very savvy ]

And Dabo got a good bit of goodwill and publicity by allowing a combat vet to dress out at Clemson. They both knew exactly what they were doing from the jump!

Motor City Cocklover

Dec 23, 2014, 12:03 PM

Please stop commenting on things you know NOTHING about, and especially stop offering up your proven deluded and weaselly opinions on anything Clemson.

Dec 23, 2014, 11:02 AM [ in reply to There is no doubt that he is very proactive and very savvy ]

He carried a go pro camera throughout the whole graduation commencement last week, i figured for the movie.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. He's not missing a

Dec 23, 2014, 11:08 AM

single opportunity.

- H. L. Mencken

Clemson gave him the platform

Dec 23, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to There is no doubt that he is very proactive and very savvy ]

and he spits on Dabo's face.

Great.

I don't disagree.***

Dec 23, 2014, 12:03 PM

- H. L. Mencken

CLEMSON IS very grateful to Dan for all the pub he has

Dec 23, 2014, 11:13 AM

gotten us! I have heard so many people say that DAN has helped them see Clemson in a different positive light!

Problem is, it sounds like HE is not grateful to Dabo

Dec 23, 2014, 11:26 AM

for what Clemson has done for him.

Reading to much in what he said - quit being so thin-skinned

Dec 23, 2014, 11:36 AM

and reactionary!

BINGO, exactly!

Dec 23, 2014, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Problem is, it sounds like HE is not grateful to Dabo ]

People are missing the whole point

Dec 23, 2014, 11:15 AM

Where did this quote come from?

Dec 23, 2014, 11:16 AM

guess yall forgot he said pretty much the same thing on national tv a month ago. maybe not quite as blunt. maybe it was lost in all the good things he said about clemson.

Dec 23, 2014, 12:04 PM

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141222/PC20/141229805

keep things in perspective

Dec 23, 2014, 11:20 AM

1. The version found written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta:

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Interesting that he said this and he feels like he is really

that good...

Didn't he make a hype video to get the attention of college coaches so he could possibly play CFB?

Did he express his gratitude for the chance to play in the interview? I didn't get to read it.

Does anyone think he may be hyping his experiences?

Why would his team mates call him Lt. Dan? Sounds kind of degrading... like he was the butt of some joke.

Just curious...

...and everyone who saw him play....

Dec 23, 2014, 11:24 AM

laughed out loud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not trying to defend him against this thread and the reasons

Dec 23, 2014, 12:06 PM

behind it, but in my opinion there's no need to attack his level of ability. Was he good enough to earn more time? No. Did he give his all every second of every play he was ever in on? Yes. Let's just be gents about it, and leave it there.

Re: Not trying to defend him against this thread and the reasons

Dec 23, 2014, 12:09 PM

agreed. I'm impressed by his work ethic, morality is another issue.

There's nothing wrong with being wrong except the...

Dec 23, 2014, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Not trying to defend him against this thread and the reasons ]

being wrong part. The talent we put in the NFL might suggest Drod was over his head during the past four years.

This is not a shot at his 5'7" height.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2014, 11:27 AM

I do not know all the facts but I am very hesitate to jump on a man who served his country just because someone puts some " " marks around some words.. I do remember a lot of praise on this board for him because you all could live vicariously though him and feel better about your self.
He maybe the biggest jerk ever I do not know. I have never met him and I have only heard good things until now. I expect that he is a human being like the rest of us with good and bad.
Do not be so quick to jump on a band wagon!

Oh Yeah Merry Christmas!

I wish it were different.

Dec 23, 2014, 11:30 AM

But DRod is a self-entitled dude.

I'm not surprised by his comments.

For whatever reason he seemed to remind me

Dec 23, 2014, 11:38 AM

of Oneal in Platoon...

the first Virtue to be killed off by the Internet.....

Dec 23, 2014, 11:35 AM

knowing when not to respond.

This is no different than knowing not to talk bad about your current boss while you're in an interview for a new position at a new Company. If DRod is unhappy about his experience, then it'll look all the more questionable if Clemson people just ignore it and move on with good memories of his contributions. Even Hollywood types have little patience for "sour grapes" - that's because they understand that once he's gotten what he can from them, he may be talking about how bad they are. This kind of thing only goes to make people unsure about getting in bed with him in the first place.

As they say, "Move on. Nothing here to see."

I'd hate to be in Daniel's shoes

Dec 23, 2014, 11:49 AM

Raise your hand if you never said or did anything stupid when you were his age. Unfortunately, he has to experience his opportunities to learn in public. When he's an "old" man of 35, he'll look back on these remarks and laugh at how stupid he was as a kid.

Cut him some slack. Clemson was a good story for him and he was a good story for Clemson. Let's hold on and enjoy the positive vibes from his entire time here.

Re: I'd hate to be in Daniel's shoes

Dec 23, 2014, 12:11 PM

I have 4 kids and 2 grandchildren, and I too said/did a few stupid things when young.

From my viewpoint, the quote, essentially slamming the coaching staff at Clemson, was the proverbial straw.

I never said one thing when so many other issues came up regarding his behavior, so I feel like I've "given him a break" for quite some time.

Dec 23, 2014, 4:33 PM [ in reply to I'd hate to be in Daniel's shoes ]

I don't think his age has anything to do with it. He is not the normal college kid age, I think he's 26-28 range

Too small, too slow, not strong enough...

Dec 23, 2014, 4:44 PM

Rodriguez was a huge liability on the football field, especially when he was on special teams. Great American, thankful for his service, but for skill set alone, he saw much more action than he should have at Clemson. His story is what got him on the field. He's delusional if he doesn't recognize that.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2014, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I'd hate to be in Daniel's shoes ]

Thank you for pointing that out. I hate when people misuse the "youthful indiscretions" excuse.

Both Parties Benefited....This is not a big deal

Dec 23, 2014, 12:13 PM

Clemson used DR's story to their advantage in the recruiting wars and the court of public opinion...

DR used his story for his own gain....

I see nothing wrong with both. DR received an education and will profit from his story....

Now he is just like any other competitive fellow that has not received as much playing time as he wanted and is venting.....so what?

He will eventually realize his talents were more of an FCS or DII or DII schools down the street.

This is much ado about nothing.

This is a case of fussing for the sake of fussing...

And I am a 7 year Vet (medical) and have no problem with his story.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Dec 23, 2014, 12:18 PM

He's absolutely right it is political, how else does he think he even got on the team?

Both DR and Clemson have gotten a fair exchange of ....

Dec 23, 2014, 12:23 PM

positive exposure from the situation.

Both sides need to be very appreciative but must be cautious with comments moving forward.

That said, my 2 cents from reading the book is that DR lost his father at a critical age and has lacked a worthy role model until Dabo entered the picture. He still lacks maturity which is a concern with all of the attention he is getting.

What's the big deal?

Dec 23, 2014, 1:47 PM

Of course he feels that he should have played more....ALL players lower on the depth chart do. He's just trying to make a case for himself in the NFL. I honestly do not understand why everyone is getting p!ssed.

You can't sniff his jock. Yawn.***

Dec 23, 2014, 1:48 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shame on Daniel Rodriguez (no shame on you)

Dec 23, 2014, 4:17 PM

Virtually every book ever written about combat was written by veterans. The idea that someone talks about his experience is somehow selfish is ludicrous. A recent example is Marcus Lutrell and the movie Lone Survivor. I don't hear anyone criticizing him.

I appreciate your combat service and Daniels. But to single him out for ridicule is dishonorable to him and the others who have served. You seem more jealous than rational. Shame on you. If you think Dabo wasn't using Daniel as much as Daniel took advantage of the platform I've got a nice bridge to sell you in Virginia. Geez

Re: Shame on Daniel Rodriguez (no shame on you)

Dec 23, 2014, 4:21 PM

The Natural bridge?

So we're going to disassociate from a true hero

Dec 23, 2014, 4:48 PM

for expressing his personal opinion. I would have been disappointed if he had said -- "I knew I wasn't good enough to play." There is nothing wrong with expressing the opinion that you think you should be playing more. I refuse to criticize an individual who melted down several guns in battle and earned some of the highest awards given by the U.S. military. You people are way out of control. Go back under the rock where you came from.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So we're going to disassociate from a true hero

Dec 23, 2014, 4:58 PM

No. The problem isn't that he felt that he was good enough to play- most people riding the pine feel that way. The problem is his misplaced blame, basically putting it on the staff playing politics went the truth of the matter is that Rodriguez wouldn't have played a single snap at any other BCS school.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son who is a senior had told me DR was a

Dec 23, 2014, 6:14 PM

pompous a$$. Well known by those who have met him.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

befote we crucify him remember "journalists" often misquote

Dec 23, 2014, 6:25 PM

People. If he actually said that I concur he is an A$$.

Thanks D Rod for your service...

Dec 23, 2014, 6:37 PM

but the door was always open. I don't look down on players that transfer. If they've felt they had a a better opportunity elsewhere then more power to them, and I will wish them well.

When you're playing alongside guys like Jaron Brown, Nuk Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant, Mike Williams, Artavis Scott, (Priester, c'mon, you know he would have been pretty good) and even Adam Humphries....what do you expect? Some of these guys are lighting it up in the pros. It's very, very hard for a 5'7"-5'8" receiver to beat any of those guys out.

Dec 23, 2014, 11:10 PM

Excellent soldier (and I am very thankful for his service to our country) but only an average (at best) football player and that is why he did not get to play very much. Best of luck to him and I hope he makes an NFL team next year, but that is not likely based on his football skills....Go Tigers!!!!!

this story reminds me of the kid at clemson who had his

Dec 23, 2014, 11:22 PM

brother with him... Can't remember his name, but Clemson ran that story to death, then the kid was gone

sometimes stories run their courses and they don't have happy endings. Guess all used each other to get attention

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Daniel sounds like a megalomaniacal ### wipe***

Dec 24, 2014, 1:16 AM

Very disappointing comments from a young man I felt inspired by

Dec 24, 2014, 10:22 AM

His story is compelling, and although I did not serve in the military, I have numerous family members and friends that did and have nothing but respect for them.

Dabo plays the best players, period. Bowden succumbed to the pressure to play politics, but I have not seen that at all from Dabo. Even starting Cole at the beginning of the season was in my eyes an attempt to ease a true freshman into the starting role and I think even the coaches were shocked by Watson's rapid command of the position.

DRod was given a chance to live a dream. Combat hero turned D1 football player. It was obvious the times I saw him on the field he was not a D1 talent, but he was given a shot and I applaud Dabo for creating media attention and great PR for the program. DRod has no business saying anything negative about his situation. To do so taints his otherwise positive legacy.

Jan 1, 2015, 12:39 PM

Very thankful for his service but he is delusional if he thinks he should have had more playing time. He's very lucky to be on the team, put there by the grace of Dabo.

He's let a lot of stuff go to his head. Lucky he wasn't hurt the little bit he played.

Daniel's Comments are Consistent with his book

Jan 6, 2015, 7:59 PM

I just finnished Daniel's book. I thought it was a good read and actually has a message that could be quite helpful to returning combat vets. It in no way glorified him as an individual or a hero. He also was very clear that he was and can still be a bit of a jerk. As for his comments about playing time, I don't think he was being ungrateful or trying to be controversial. They are consistent with his position in his book. That position is that it is difficult for a 5'8 180 lb walk-on to get much playing time over 4 and 5 start recruits.

You can hate the guy and not buy his book if you chose to, you fought to defend our freedom to do so. However, I will be glad to mail you my copy of the book if you are interested in having a more informed opinion of the young man.

Why doesn't he say "at Clemson they play the best and I

Jan 6, 2015, 8:28 PM

wasn't quite good enough to get much playing time"? That is a far cry from saying it is political at Clemson and in the NFL they will play the best. I don't see how you can get around the statement the original poster highlighted.

It was unjustified.

Jan 6, 2015, 8:40 PM

I'll download the movie but I'm not spending a penny at the theater.

agree. after this post i too read his book. I found him to

Jan 6, 2015, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Daniel's Comments are Consistent with his book ]

be grateful and admiring of all of our staff and team. It's strange, the part about the NFL, doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the book. Only thing I can figure is he's saying don't give up on your dreams, no matter how far-fetched they may be. Seems to me the writer didn't get the right tone in that part, but overall I thought it was a good book and encourage people to read it before yu make a judgement on one line.

In the movie, they will probably show him telling Dabo

Jan 6, 2015, 8:32 PM

to take a scholarship and "shove it with a red hot poker" like Robbie Benson character in the movie One on One. It seems to be going that way. Is that the thanks Clemson and Dabo get for their part?

Replies: 96
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic