Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Players transferring out of our basketball program is a...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Players transferring out of our basketball program is a...

Mar 29, 2019, 8:55 AM

clear sign that program is in poor shape.

Players transferring out of our football program is a clear sign that program is in good shape.

Why do people have trouble understanding this?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I don't follow

Mar 29, 2019, 8:59 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: I don't follow

Mar 29, 2019, 9:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

the normal avg for each is different

Mar 29, 2019, 9:26 AM

football has more players so naturally the avg. amount of players per year that transfer is higher. There is a point in football as well where you would have to ask is this amount too high or is it on par with other programs. My post below was more that I thought 1 per year seemed high. It may not be, but I feel like normal would be 1 every other year or 2. I do not think a player or 2 here or there transferring in basketball is a cause for concern, but if it is above the normal avg (again it may or may not be in our case) it may be a concern to watch.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I logged in this morning just to give you a TD***

Mar 29, 2019, 9:28 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish some would transfer out of TNet***

Mar 29, 2019, 9:40 AM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Exactly!***

Mar 29, 2019, 9:41 AM

it's actually an epidemic across all of college basketball

Mar 29, 2019, 9:50 AM

and not just our team. In 2017 14.5% of players transferred across basketball. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/transfer-rate-averages-and-trends

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Epidemic? I disagree.

Mar 29, 2019, 10:01 AM

I believe it is just a realization that these players have the freedom to seek better opportunities if their current situation isn't working out.

And just compare it to the overall student population...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/01/29/why-so-many-college-students-decide-to-transfer/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e103ebe464cc

So these basketball players are transferring at less than half the rate of all college students. So why is it an epidemic? Why is it a negative thing at all?

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Players transferring out of our basketball program is a...

Mar 29, 2019, 10:36 AM

This is easily explained because the football program is cycling out and the basketball program is still trying to cycle in, thus everything works in opposites. This is basic physics people!

Mar 29, 2019, 10:36 AM

Personally, I agree that the frequency with which kids have transferred out of the program under Brownell reflects poorly on the program's perception, but not for the reasons others have suggested here.

What I think is going on is that these fringe recruits, you know borderline 2/3 star recruits or midmajor transfers come into Clemson thinking something along the lines of "that's a lower tier ACC program, but an awesome campus, awesome fanbase, wouldn't be a bad place to spend a few years, get some playing time, and get my name out there in a power conference." Then they get here, and it's not the automatic playing time that they expected, so they transfer to a midmajor. We've never really had anyone except Noel Johnson (who transferred when Auburn was WAY down) make a lateral transfer. The people who get consistent playing time aren't leaving in droves.

Which kind of leads me to my second point. I think that Brownell may be promising a lot of these guys playing time that he can't or won't deliver on, which is an issue. If you go back and read the few posts I've made on here, I support Brownell on the whole, but I do think this is a problem because recruits talk, and it makes it even that much less likely that a true 5-star stud is ever going to want to play here.

Mar 29, 2019, 10:43 AM

lol, I hear last year Zion looked at Duke's roster and our roster and said "I see Joe 2-star just transferred out so there's no way I'll get all the playing time I want at Clemson... Coach K, where do I sign?"

Mar 29, 2019, 11:43 AM

Right, because that's what I was implying. Not "yeesh, Joe 2-star and his buddy Tommy Transfer are both leaving a midlevel program, and Steve 3-star left the year before that, wonder what the coach is telling them that they don't like? Think I'll just go to Duke."

Mar 29, 2019, 12:16 PM

I think the guy that transfered out also transfered in......

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic