Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The price the GOP will pay for Trump...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

The price the GOP will pay for Trump...

Nov 10, 2020, 4:49 AM

...is only starting to be felt.

It's going to be horrific, and generational. You can already see it now: this guy is going to linger like a bad odor, hanging over the party for years.

The GOP failed to reject him, and he's even got guys like Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell fervently kissing the ring now even in likely defeat. That's large. They embraced this sick cult of personality and now they're stuck with it until the Donald kicks off ungently into the good night.

I thought - or hoped, anyhow - that Trumpism was going to be a passing phase because populism, at the end of the day, is exhausting...it works by stressing out its supporters and convincing them the end is near unless you act now and the problem with that is people - well, not T3Tiger, but most people - can only stay lathered up for so long before they just go numb to it all. And the problem with lathering up your supporters and getting them all crazy-like is you also scare the crap out of the other side; lifeboat politics makes allies of all the non-Trumpists out there and all the various friks and fraks huddled (often grudgingly, I know I resent it!) under Biden's Big Tent are doing so just because I may not agree with them all or even most of the time but they're Just Folks, whereas Trump's gang looks like a braying mob with torches and pitchforks right now looking for witches to burn.

Until the Republican Party becomes the GOP and not the Party of Trump again, I'm not going near that mess. And the problem there is, it really appears Trump is going nowhere. He's absolutely going to secure the nomination in 2024 again...well, if he's not in jail, anyhow. And even if he is he'll still be calling the shots from prison like some sort of Mafia don. (It'll be ironic watching GOP hopefuls all make their visits to Fulsome to go get El Donaldo's endorsement.)

Which isn't going to play well with the general public. Yeah, Donald can turn out support...especially, sorry, fringe support. He gets meth-heads, white nationalists, and QAnon conspiracy theorists all inspired. He also turned out even more for the other side, which is why he's not going to be president anymore. He and his raving-lunatic hardcore supporters are not going to get any less scary to most of us in the next four years...whereas exhaustion seems very likely to set in among his less-devoted supporters in the interim, especially the Evangelicals. The chaos the guy creates just wears people out.

The Republicans needed to reject Trump. They didn't. Now they're stuck with him, and they're going to ride or die with this clown to the bitter end. And may God help the GOP.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The price the GOP will pay for Trump...

Nov 10, 2020, 5:21 AM

They stick with him because they want to get reelected. Trump still has a ton of support among Republicans. In the Gallup poll mid to late October, Trump had a 95% approval rating among Republicans, 41% among Independents, and just 3% among Dems.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

Nov 10, 2020, 5:53 AM

Yeah. The Republicans really seem to have learned all the wrong lessons from this election.

At the end of the day, he lost this election. This was Normandy Beach. He needed to hold the anti-Trump coalition and didn't, and while he's obviously going to fight tooth and nail for every inch of ground the anti-Trump coalition now knows he can be beaten while the Trumpists know their Great Leader is not immortal.

History tells us how this likely goes from here.

Nov 10, 2020, 6:06 AM

I think they will distance themselves to an extent when Trump is out of office yet still creates problems and division. Trump will look like a kook.

He and his cult followers are kooks.

Nov 10, 2020, 10:20 AM

That's why the GOP is in trouble. They aren't going anywhere. When Trump dies...he'll be their Martyr and his family line will capitalize. Only if they and he aren't in jail.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quo- I think you make valid points often enough

Nov 10, 2020, 7:27 AM [ in reply to Re: The price the GOP will pay for Trump... ]

That I go out of my way to see what you said.... but

You must’ve just got off of a Don Lemon/ Rachel Maddow bender with some of this stuff. Like Pubs took the wrong lessons... what did anyone miss? Everyone knew if you hate trump it’s 95% his personality.

And up in the OP you act like it’s some horrible thing to keep fighting if your a pub. You do realize the dems have been fighting him non stop for 5 years now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 7:19 AM

Yep 71M fringe supporters. Anyway, I’ve watched Biden supporters all summer destroy lives, towns, and businesses. What’s exhausting has been the last 4 years of breathless 24/7 attacks from the Dems and their PR dept of the MSM. Your policies are failures and your supporters are all hypocrites, congrats.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The difference is.....

Nov 10, 2020, 10:24 AM

the handful of idiots in those cities causing cautious don't represent Dems as a whole. I am disappointed they weren't called out. At least there are a handful of GOP who've consistently called Trump and his supporters out. Unfortunately, Trump and his Cult are the majority for the GOP.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am pretty disappointed in the other GOP leadership

Nov 10, 2020, 7:21 AM

not repudiating the President's language talking about election fraud. I really thought the President would be on an island on this. I was wrong.

There is no price to pay...

Nov 10, 2020, 7:24 AM

privately, Trump is already an afterthought. Republicans did well in the senate and house races DESPITE Trump. They are actually well positioned to win back majority of both in 2022.

Trump will never hold public office again. I can easily see him with another TV show if he wanted, however i doubt that will even happen.

The louder AOC squawks and pulls the Dems to the left increases the chance the Pubs have in 2024.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 7:33 AM

lmfao at q. guess you missed the 17 women, so far, that have won republican races. i did not read your whole novel, so who knows what the he!! you rambled on about.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 9:52 AM

He don't know he is just beating his chest we won.

Nov 10, 2020, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: The price the GOP will pay for Trump... ]

He thinks anyone that voted for the republican candidate is a racist. So I stopped reading at that point.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bookmarked***

Nov 10, 2020, 7:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mostly agree...

Nov 10, 2020, 8:01 AM

But a lot can happen between now and 2022/24. The Dems have all the opportunity to #### this up to the point that the GOP simply rebrands and comes swooping back in.

I do think the Dems need to never let people forget about Trump and who supported him. Brand the scarlet T on them left and right (you too, Nikki Haley).

This will be a difficult stink to wash off, but the Pubs can do it by abandoning Trumpism and pushing the right candidates in the face of a Dem #### up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Disagree.....

Nov 10, 2020, 8:19 AM

it doesn't matter if Republicans had 5 "A+ Ronald Reagan candidates" to push. The country has moved too far left for the Republican party to ever overcome. Democrats "typically" are the ones that have had "voter turnout" issues in the past. I think from now on the Republicans will have that issue b/c nobody will be able to motivate the Rebpublican party enough to go out and vote..............and not that it matters but a Republican will also never win a popular vote again, but that's probably a little more obvious.

How do you square that opinion with picking up seats....

Nov 10, 2020, 8:27 AM

in the House as the top of the ticket gets beat.

picking up seats still doesn't get the majority....and......

Nov 10, 2020, 8:37 AM

I'm not sold that the Senate holds either......That's the only thread of hope I'm hanging onto.

Re: picking up seats still doesn't get the majority....and......

Nov 10, 2020, 9:08 AM

Even if the GOP loses the majority, they lose it by a slim amount. That certainly doesn't point to our nation being too far left. The mere popular vote refutes that argument.

Our nation is still mostly comprised of folks right smack in the middle.

I've seen people make these predictions before after an election ("This side will never win again!"), and then two years later, that party has a resurgence.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

What popular vote are you referring to?

Nov 10, 2020, 9:16 AM

the Democratic Presidential nominee has won all but ONE popular vote in the last 8 Presidential elections. Not that the popular vote matters in terms of who's elected, but a Republican won't ever win the popular vote again.

Then maybe it's time for the GOP...

Nov 10, 2020, 9:32 AM

To figure out why that is and make changes instead of working so hard to stop people from voting, clinging to demagogues like Trump, and swinging the Bible around.

They still be conservative without alienating others.

it's a societal thing not a GOP thing............

Nov 10, 2020, 9:43 AM

the more "millennial type generations" are born, the further left it will go..........regardless of what "strategy" EITHER party enacts. There's no turning your LAs, NYCs, Phillys, Seattles, Portlands it's too far left for either party to control......."Moderate Democrats" included. You hear that "the middle" decided this election........the fact is the far left decided it. If "the middle" held any water at all then the popular vote would swing both ways occasionally, but it doesn't.

Re: it's a societal thing not a GOP thing............

Nov 10, 2020, 10:27 AM

Not according to exit poll data. In fact, 24 percent identified as liberal compared to 38 percent conservative. The other 38 percent was moderate.

Moderates made the difference.

We haven't moved too far left.

Nov 10, 2020, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Disagree..... ]

Forty percent of voters last week were moderates, according to exit polls. This nation is still firmly in the middle. The radicals on both sides just make the most noise.

If the Dems screw up the next two or four years, the moderates will let them know it at the polls.

Yo quozz, that's some funny stuff right there!

Nov 10, 2020, 8:48 AM

Did you play the theme from Star Wars full volume in the background while you were writing that?
I bet your Mom's proud.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Angry little man can't refute points.

Nov 10, 2020, 8:57 AM

Still butthurt from election results.

Re: Angry little man can't refute points.

Nov 10, 2020, 9:34 AM

Trump lost due to being an a**clown, not over policy. People were tired of his constant tweets and chaos. It was despite all this, a close election.There was no Blue wave. I too doubt he will go away, but he will not win the nomination in 2024 nor necessarily seek it again. Trump won because people were tired of the perceived weakness of Obama and his apology tour around the world for America. I'm old enough to remember similar gloom and doom scenarios following other elections. The GOP will probably retain control of the Senate and even if it's 50/50 with Harris breaking the tie, Joe Manchin said last night he would vote against packing the Court or ending the filibuster, so Chuck Schumer is the one who is butt hurt. So, the GOP actually gained seats in the House, appear to be on track to holding the Senate and actually gained control of another state house in NH, while not losing any. Trump hurt himself, not the GOP. When redistricting comes, the GOP will gerrymander the h*ll out of states to make it more likely that they will gain more House seats in the midterms in 2022. I do admit Biden is really on to something in his plan to "crush the virus." He is asking people to wear masks. Very strong move-Joe. Without Covid and Trump's antics, Joe Biden could never have won the Presidency by staying home. He is far from charismatic. I am willing to bet the GOP takes back the White House in 2024 and picks up seats in the 2022 midterms. Things ebb and flow.

well said -

Nov 10, 2020, 10:05 AM

Exactly what my opinion is. Glad you articulated it, better than I can do. Policy over candidate.

You wish***

Nov 10, 2020, 9:10 AM

You must just flat out enjoy being wrong

Nov 10, 2020, 9:19 AM

Nov 10, 2020, 9:23 AM

We knew Trump would act like a child, but it really is sad to see the lack of maturity or integrity from so many people who call themselves conservatives. If a football team claimed cheating after every game they lost, they would be mocked. The people on this board who complain about referees cheating and other teams paying players after anything negative happens are generally the ones who know the least about football. Trump knows his followers are the ones who know the least about how elections are run, so he can say anything he wants and they will blindly follow him.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/694890328273346560?s=20

Remember in 2008, when people on this very board and

Nov 10, 2020, 9:26 AM

In the general public were saying the Pubs were done and would never win again?

Yep, this is that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep***

Nov 10, 2020, 9:28 AM

Re: Remember in 2008, when people on this very board and

Nov 10, 2020, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Remember in 2008, when people on this very board and ]

True. On the other hand, the Republican Party of 2008 and the Republican Party of 2020 are two very different things. George W. Bush and John McCain are not Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell, and the shift can be seen among supporters as well, including right here in the P&R.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember in 2008, when people on this very board and

Nov 10, 2020, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Remember in 2008, when people on this very board and ]

It's like claiming the same over your rival in football. I cringe to think about it, but one day those little Dirt Peckers will find a way to win.

Remember ole clempson93? The guy who thought dinosaurs and mankind walked together? In 2004, he declared the Dems over forever and they would never win again. And as you cited, 2008, the other way around.

One thing is for certain. America will swing back to one party as the party in power ##### stuff up. Look for the GOP to make gains in 2022.

Yes, this election is the easiest off-ramp they will have

Nov 10, 2020, 9:39 AM

I am surprised so many are standing by Trump. They know their constituents would go over a cliff for him. The election results are evidence. However, not many are repeating his baseless claims. They are politicians.

Agree with everything except the last sentence***

Nov 10, 2020, 9:47 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 10:48 AM

What you apparently don't get Quo, is that Trump was a direct result of your boy Obama with his "We are the ones we've been waiting for" and "Republicans have to ride in the back of the bus" crap. From the very beginning he drew a line across the U.S. with "Us" written on one side and "Them" on the other.

Nice going Barry Hussein.

+1 for giving credit where IT'S DUE***

Nov 10, 2020, 11:07 AM

Nov 10, 2020, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: The price the GOP will pay for Trump... ]

Actually Obama was not my boy.

I voted for McCain and Romney.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic