Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
interesting thought on declining football participation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

interesting thought on declining football participation

Dec 15, 2013, 8:18 PM

With all the head injury concerns a lot of parents are funneling their kids into other sports. If we ever reach a point where football popularity seriously declines could we see a day where football isn't top dog? If that happened which sport fills the void for college sports? College basketball is hindered by the one and done rule but it could one day be the top sport. ACC and Big East could rule the roost. Soccer participation numbers are way up. There are more English premier league games on TV in the US than there are in England. I know as college football fans its a horrible thought but the decline in participation is scary. Or will football just take a different, less violent form and remain the king of sports in America.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: interesting thought on declining football participation

Dec 15, 2013, 8:36 PM

I don't think any other sport can match the pageantry and excitement of football, at least for me

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2013, 8:43 PM

And of course soccer, the absolutely most mind-numbing, boring excuse for a game, will never really catch on in the US, thank heaven!!

If soccer does increase in popularity that can only help the

Dec 15, 2013, 9:15 PM

Duke basketball team in their recruiting of potential "floppers". Maybe Hollywood will benefit too. Those guys are already some of the best actors that I've ever seen.

Dec 16, 2013, 12:32 AM [ in reply to Re: interesting thought on declining football participation ]

I used to say that too MCB....but if you look at the # of kids participating throughout the country, it seems to be catching on.

LOL....Although I supported Clemson's soccer program in

Dec 17, 2013, 5:38 AM [ in reply to Re: interesting thought on declining football participation ]

its infancy and knew most of the team members, I just never fully understood the game.

A few years after graduation and my military service, my youngest brother invited me to one of his high school soccer matches here in Columbia. Following the game, he asked my opinion, and I replied, "Need to line up and allow tackling to stop all that running around."

He shrugged his shoulders, shook his head and walked away, muttering something like, "Lost cause...."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2013, 8:42 PM

If the lawsuits over head injuries continue you will see a drastic decline or the game will have to change.... It will happen first at the High School level if there is a huge award for head injuries... The cost of insurance will cause a lot of high schools to drop the sport if that happens...

I would say soccer.......... :( It is wildly popular I just don't get it ...... The highest paid coach in sports is a soccer coach $19,000,000.00 a year.... He coaches Chelsea in the English Premier League..... I did play soccer growing up until I was old enough to play football I liked I just can't watch way to slow..... Maybe if they took a couple of players off the field it would speed the game up........

Dec 15, 2013, 9:14 PM

I actually like soccer and chelsea is my favorite team. When they played an exhibition in st louis this summee it sold out in abot 27 minutes. Definitely catching on.

That being said, nothing will ever compare to college football for me. Everything you said is correct, though. Depending on these lawsuits it could get expensive to have a team and insurance. The game is already changing. Are we going to end up with no kickoffs, and a game that looks like a 7 on 7 tourney? Pretty concerned about the whole thing. For the first time ever, I can see it becoming a situation where football falls off and some other sport becomes the shining star. Would turn the ncaa upside down.

Dec 15, 2013, 9:25 PM

The NFL is getting close with there new rules to being 7 on 7 now....... It is almost to the point were you can't touch the QB..... I saw a Saints game this year and Bree's got tackled on 3rd down and the guy didn't hit him with his helmet or late and the flag flew first down Saints.......

The NFL is just not enjoyable for me anymore.... If the college game adopts all of the NFL rules then I could see myself losing interest.....

The UGA coach called for and end to kickoffs several years ago so I could see that happening soon..........

One sport I love watching

Dec 15, 2013, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: interesting thought on declining football participation ]

is lacrosse. even if I dont know the team/players I will sit down and watch. I wish we would get a lacrosse team. It is actually getting very popular in the south, and has been in the north.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Soccer will be top dog soon***

Dec 15, 2013, 9:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rugby?....no helmets needed

Dec 15, 2013, 9:34 PM

and could be an option. Tough man's sport.

Re: Rugby?....no helmets needed

Dec 15, 2013, 9:49 PM

Funny you mentioned helmets. Heard an interview with a former redskin exec somewhere and he was now involved in little league football. Called some of his contacts to see who to go to for the safest helnets. They recommended some helmet company so he called requesting their safest helmets. The company told him most league directors or coaches called and asked for the cheapest helmets possible. Maybe rules about the standard of equipnent used could olug the ### on defections from the sport.

Have you seen "The Hunger Games"?

Dec 15, 2013, 9:52 PM

NCAA football has been played for the last 35 years, primarily by those of us from "Sector 29" (i.e. the other side of the tracks)

They play NCAA football for our entertainment...

They see NCAA football as their way out.

See em? I lived em!

Dec 15, 2013, 9:54 PM

signed
everybody who voted for Jimmy Carter

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2013, 11:40 PM

Another area of concern is paralysis.

The high schools will drop football due to high insurance rates for this type of catastrophic injury.

What happens to the college game then?

Dec 16, 2013, 6:25 AM

Interesting, but I am not sure that declining participation by high schools will have that much of an adverse effect on College Football.

I was recruited for wrestling and lacrosse at the D1 level, and I rarely had a coach come to a match or game. Maybe the big state tournaments, and a match or game where there were multiple prospects (grew up in Western NY, lacrosse hotbed, and NY wrestling is pretty #### good), but most of the recruiting in those sports is done through off season camps and leagues.

Just like they have for football now with the invitation camps, they have those for the other sports, and those are the places where the coaches get the access they seek, and are able to evaluate the talent on a high level.

I would imagine that if high schools started dropping football some enterprising person would develop a series of leagues for older players that take place in the spring/summer as a method to showcase talent to coaches at the collegiate level.

And I don't get the hate for soccer, I am not a fan of watching it on TV, save for late champions league matches and national team games, but the game is a great spectator sport, you just have to learn to watch the entire field, not just the ball.

It'll just have a higher participation by players like Clown

Dec 16, 2013, 6:41 AM

since it doesn't matter whether they have concussions or not.

Hard to see basketball or soccer becoming America's Sport

Dec 16, 2013, 8:58 AM

Although, given the demographics of the country, I could see the growing Latino population helping to make soccer a lot more popular in the future.

I think there's something to be said about the country turning back to baseball, were football to decline. It's a distinctly American sport, it has history, and it's almost as cheap as soccer to play.

Re: Hard to see basketball or soccer becoming America's Sport

Dec 16, 2013, 8:25 PM

I could get back into baseball. To me, MLB had gotten boring and college doesn't get enough exposure. Have two boys playing now and that has rekindled my interest because they like to watch. They love football even more though but I admit to finding myself hesitant to let them play. Maybe once they hit 9th grade or so if I think they can physically hold up. Both are decent at baseball but my 4 year old is one of the better players on a team of ages 4-6. He is as fast as most of the 6 year olds and faster than some. Thinking of signing him up fir soccer. Seems to fit his skill set. So while I am the last person to want football to decline I completely understand parents pushing their kids towards other sports.

Dec 16, 2013, 8:30 PM

yeah...not going to happen

football is life in this country

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm pretty sure there are more head injuries in soccer

Dec 17, 2013, 7:08 AM

than any other sport.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic