Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Onside kick question: If Alabama had fallen on it, like
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,729

Onside kick question: If Alabama had fallen on it, like

Jan 12, 2017, 10:08 AM

Huegel did - the 1 second wouldn't have ticked off of the clock either, right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct...

Jan 12, 2017, 10:11 AM

But picture yourself trying to fall on a ball that is being surrounded by opposing players, opposing players who will plow into you if you approach the ball. And you have to fall on it completely clean, no bobble, no nothin'.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks - in the aftermath of the onside kick - I didn't know

Jan 12, 2017, 10:16 AM

who had recovered it. For a brief moment, I thought Alabama might have it on our 40 with 1 second on the clock.

Not questioning the call - it was as safe as anything to do on a kick-off...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. I think it was brilliant, but not because it was

Jan 12, 2017, 10:18 AM

some incredible gutsy or risky call. I think the brilliance was in the recognition of low-risk it was, compared to other plays.

It's a very specialized situation because there was only 1 second left, but any coach at any level of football should watch that and see that it is simply the right play in that situation.

And yet I've heard quite a few people on podcasts and such

Jan 14, 2017, 1:07 PM

say how dumb it was and how fortunate Dabo is that it worked out. I agree with you though - i think it was a great call.

in all honesty, just kicking it out of bounds would probably

Jan 14, 2017, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Yes. I think it was brilliant, but not because it was ]

have been safer. Then they're trying to run one play from their 35, rather than potentially one play from our 45.

Well there's a 100% chance they get to run that play

Jan 14, 2017, 1:56 PM

vs how much of a chance that they get to run a play on the onside kick? In order to get a play off on the onside kick they have to not only recover the ball (when they aren't expecting an onside kick), but they also have to recover it 100% clean, no bobbles, while already down on the ground. If we recover, we win. If they recover while not down and then get tackled, we win. If they bobble the ball even once for a split second while recovering, we win.

plus it is not that easy to kick the ball out of bounds past

Jan 14, 2017, 2:14 PM

the 35 yard line. And they can make you kick it again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Compare that to kicking it on the ground 30-40 yds down the

Jan 12, 2017, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Correct... ]

field, which is what we traditionally see in that scenario. Your players have to first get to the ball, and then stay with the ball as it's lateraled around, and make a tackle. Or maybe Bama manages to easily down that ball without running time. So they get a shot at an offensive play.

Obviously, there was no scenario that gave Bama a good chance, but I think the play that was run by Clemson was the lowest risk play there was. Even if Bama recovered the ball, it's 99% likely the time would run off, and they would be easily tackled due to how many Clemson players are right on the ball.

To me, the biggest risk was a Clemson player touching the ball before it reached 10 yds. As long as a Bama player didn't also touch it, no time would run off, and Bama would get the ball at the spot of the illegal touch.

Re: Compare that to kicking it on the ground 30-40 yds down the

Jan 14, 2017, 2:27 PM

In the heat of the moment it's likely the Bama players didn't know what to do. I doubt they knew that the clock would not start if they were down when they touched it. The length of time the ball rolled down the field must have given those on the front line an eternity to second guess what they were doing.

It was just as masterful as the onsides Bama ran against Clemson last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they recover while knee on the ground then time wouldn't

Jan 12, 2017, 10:20 AM

have expired. If they recovered while standing and then fell then yes time would've expired.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Onside kick question: If Alabama had fallen on it, like

Jan 12, 2017, 10:29 AM

yes but a good safe call. I was expecting kick it into one of them so it would start the clock

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Onside kick question: If Alabama had fallen on it, like

Jan 14, 2017, 12:58 PM

Yup. They'd have had one shot at the end zone

That onside kick was perhaps the gutsy call of the game...

Jan 14, 2017, 2:18 PM

...that ball rolled to me what appeared to be EXACTLY the 10 yards needed for the recovery.

Divine providence that the Tigers were then allowed with 1 second to allow DW4 to finish in victory formation.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: That onside kick was perhaps the gutsy call of the game...

Jan 14, 2017, 3:10 PM

Was also payback for onside Saban kick last year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2017, 6:13 PM

BINGO - it was payback, plain and simple. Dabo is a religious man, but many overlook the fire that burns in this man's belly. He does not forget. Coots need to remember their fans 'jabs' with the five bomb when Coach was being gracious to them. He will win more than five straight against them. Mark it down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2017, 9:21 PM [ in reply to That onside kick was perhaps the gutsy call of the game... ]

I kept thinking BAMA was going to have one last shot to tie...like a snake you just could not kill.

Well since we're dicussing hypothetical what if's

Jan 14, 2017, 10:16 PM

What if the 4 to 13 pass at the end had bounced off 13's hands or if he bobbled it while going out of bounds? I'm thinking the last second may have ticked off the clock without a chance for another play. I'm glad 13 has great hands and the coaches trusted him and 4 to be great under tremendous pressure so we're not discussing THAT.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,729
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic