Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
im sick of this pay the players bs.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

im sick of this pay the players bs.

Feb 26, 2013, 5:39 PM

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8990966/selling-johnny-football

this same guy will not be attending an actual class because he is so " big time " now but that is fine and dandy though.meanwhile cam newton rather you like him or not is a very well known nfl player attends actual classes at aurburn.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ridiculous

Feb 26, 2013, 6:10 PM

Anybody who thinks athletes aren't getting paid enough as it is is delusional

Free college education, free room and board, free meals, free textbooks, free cloths and apparel, free medical treatment, free coaching, and a direct path to a career that could potentially earn them millions of dollars

But nope. Those kids should be getting paid! Gimme a break

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clothes*** and apparel***

Feb 26, 2013, 6:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

plus many can barely read and write.. and get full rides

Feb 26, 2013, 6:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anJpmFKfHvE

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

What are they supposed to do

Feb 26, 2013, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Ridiculous ]

For pocket money? Some of these kids are flat broke, and the NCAA won't allow them to get jobs. College football is the most popular sport in America, they could pay student-athletes at least a thousand dollars or two a year.

Pocket money for what?

Feb 26, 2013, 6:39 PM

gas? Then pick a college with a bus system.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pocket money for what?

Feb 26, 2013, 6:58 PM

Maybe they would like to have enough cash to take their best girl to dinner and a movie - a bus token doesn't take care of that. (Or am I showing my age by thinking people still do that sort of thing?)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

student loans?***

Feb 26, 2013, 6:59 PM [ in reply to What are they supposed to do ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Pell Grants....***

Feb 26, 2013, 7:24 PM [ in reply to What are they supposed to do ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

hope scholarship?***

Feb 26, 2013, 7:36 PM [ in reply to What are they supposed to do ]

You going to pay every scholarship athlete?

Feb 26, 2013, 9:51 PM [ in reply to What are they supposed to do ]

Otherwise you get in trouble with Title IX and other laws. There are very very very few schools that can afford to pay every athlete on scholarship.

Re: What are they supposed to do

Feb 27, 2013, 4:25 AM [ in reply to What are they supposed to do ]

The payment is in the scholarship. If they stay for the duration then they have the chance to earn a degree. They pay for it by playing ball, but along with their scholly they get fed and housed. I have two daughters- whats their Clemson education gonna cost me????

Re:Let them go pro right out of high school. Most of them

Feb 26, 2013, 7:45 PM

have no interest in school.

agreed***

Feb 26, 2013, 7:46 PM

It's not BS. Especially now with E$ecPN. End the hypocrisy.

Feb 26, 2013, 7:47 PM

Just pay the players at big-time schools for what they are (what we, Clemson, are becoming) - a farm system for the NFL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont think the University should be required to pay player

Feb 26, 2013, 7:49 PM

A state funded university should not be using tax dollars to pay athletes.

That being said, i dont see why anyone would care if a booster does. If a booster can give money to whoever he chooses, you also avoid the title IX issues that a school would face, if it started paying football players

I'd agree with you

Feb 26, 2013, 8:00 PM

If we didn't require them to play 3 years first(or go all the way to Europe).

If the NCAA wants to consider itself a 3 years required minor league, then they should pay. If they want to consider themselves an nfl alternative where you can get a degree and still prepare you for the league, paying shouldn't happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA doesn't require that, the NFL requires that

Feb 26, 2013, 8:30 PM

Notice how the NBA and MLB takes high-schoolers or any age college player.

From some web site:

Football players who have been out of high school for at least three years are eligible for the NFL draft. The rules do not state that a player must attend college, but virtually all of the players selected in the NFL draft played college football. A year as a "redshirt" player in college counts toward eligibility even though the player was not allowed to participate in games during that year. Therefore players who have completed their redshirt sophomore year can enter the NFL draft. A few players are also selected from other football leagues like the Arena Football League or the Canadian Football League.

Read more: NFL Draft Eligibility Rules | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4778601_nfl-draft-eligibility-rules.html#ixzz2M3hzN6ef

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't think that rule is for the sake of the NCAA

Feb 26, 2013, 9:10 PM

You are wrong.

If the NCAA didn't exist, the NFL wouldn't require players go to Europe for 3 years

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then why doesn't the NCAA require the same for

Feb 26, 2013, 9:34 PM

baseball and basketball or golf or any other sport?

The NFLs rule primarily benefits the NFL and its Player's Union (who have agreed with the rule, as did the US Federal Appellate Court and by denying the appeal, so did the SCOTUS).

If players don't like the rule, they are free to form a professional football league of their own and run it as they see fit.

AS an additional point of reference, the CFL has much the same rule.

"A player can only be eligible for the draft if he has: lived at least 7 years in Canada prior to the age of 15 and played at least one year of university football. For the 2012 draft; players in their fourth year of university or aged 25 are eligible for consideration. Interestingly, if a young athlete has not played at least one year at the university level he may not be considered in the CFL draft process. He can however be signed to a team as a free agent, which is a right reserved for elite athletes coming from various backgrounds."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you're saying the NCAA and NFL are involved in some sort

Feb 26, 2013, 10:34 PM [ in reply to If you don't think that rule is for the sake of the NCAA ]

Of collusion?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: im sick of this pay the players bs.

Feb 26, 2013, 9:20 PM

so basically, if I'm a big time booster, I can sell something that let's say Sammy Watkins has the copyrites to, and he and I can settle out of court for cash and it's not a violation?

or is it just an sec/espn thing

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You wouldn't be if you spent any time at a major university.

Feb 26, 2013, 9:43 PM

I remember the Perrys, Eldon and some of the other physically large guys around Clemson back in my days there. Stupid me, I actually wondered why they always wore sweats and tennis shoes.

I mean ###, even a family like the Perrys with like what, 16 kids, could go down to the walmart and buy some jeans and a pullover. Yeah, imagine that, a size 6X golf shirt or a pair of jeans with 40 inches thighs. Sears has size 17 loafers or boat shoes or whatever the kids like to wear and I'm positive the can grab a suit off the rack to fit a kid that's seven feet tall.

What's the problem here folks? I mean why should they want to wear something other than the free sweats the schools supply them?

Fans want them in the class room, study hall, film room or the weight room. When are they supposed to earn the money to take a nice girl out to dinner?

It would be nice if folks could see from the kid's perspective occasionally.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they must get money from some where..

Feb 27, 2013, 12:13 AM

wearing the nice new hats,clothes and earings in their ears.when you see these kids away from the field they dont look like they are struggling.im sure they are not well off but it does seem like they do get some kind of money.because they do not look thrown away

They get all kinds of grant money that

Feb 26, 2013, 10:25 PM

They don't actually have to use to pay for school, books, supplies medical care..... To think they are flat broke is to be blind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

How much do 'they,' get?***

Feb 26, 2013, 10:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic