Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, wife bought a pork butt a while back when groceries 1st got scarce.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 611

So, wife bought a pork butt a while back when groceries 1st got scarce.

Apr 18, 2020, 12:22 PM

Don’t have a smoker. Never cooked a whole one. So, right now I just have it cooking with indirect heat on the ol’ Weber Genesis. Stuck a water bath in there over the heat to try to keep it moist. Rubbed it down pretty good. Now I would never call this bbq before I get railed on. BBQ is obviously burgers and stuff.

No wood chips. So, this is what I got. Anyone ever do anything close to this. I don’t doubt it’ll be okay, but it would be nice if it were better than okay. Thoughts and/or lungey remarks appreciated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

should have used a crock pot***

Apr 18, 2020, 12:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Sorry. Should have mentioned this before.

Apr 18, 2020, 1:00 PM

I’m a dude.

InB4 a real dude would have a smoker. It’s on the list. I don’t do debt and am planning on a nice one. Gotta get some “more important “ stuff that the wife wants for the house first. Marriage. Lol!

i'm defrosting the pork butt that I also got at the start of

Apr 18, 2020, 10:32 PM

the plague. Planning ot cook it imn the Weber Genesis that I got. I have some wood chips, will soak those in water, tuck them in some foil or the burner and set that pork butt on the other side. I got that fancy bluetooth meat probe that I can use...hopefully, to moderate the temperature and keep it low and slow for several hours ...at the rate that it's defrosting, I supposed I'll be doing all of this Monday while working from home and trying to convince the 5 yo ro write his name and practice the letter Z. Good times

beer will be involved.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Also wouldn’t have fit in the crock pot.

Apr 18, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to should have used a crock pot*** ]

Maybe in the one that got broken several years ago that we’ve never gotten a replacement insert for. ####.

I've always grilled them or crock pot

Apr 18, 2020, 3:00 PM

Don't have a smoker.

Low and slow and a LONG time. Find something to lather it up with regularly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will be great. I use charcoal only to smoke them in my

Apr 18, 2020, 12:50 PM

Pit Barrel Cooker - just keep the temp low in the Weber.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do pork butts indirect on the webber all the time

Apr 18, 2020, 1:14 PM

I usually go about 10-12 hours. I try to keep the heat between 250 and 300 but it is hard.

It's a lot of work, but you need the keep the coals consistent. I fill the baskets about 3/4 full and every 15 minutes or so I add a couple of black coals and some wood chips that have soaked it water about 15 minutes. I like applewood the best. I mop it and close her back up. If it starts to get cold I heat some coals in another small grill I have.

For the mop sause I take some of my rub add some water add some juice. It's not critical how it is made.

I make a very spicy rub. It cools down after being cooked

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, wife bought a pork butt a while back when groceries 1st got scarce.

Apr 18, 2020, 4:38 PM

Snake method for coals w wood chunk is a perfectly acceptable way to cook a butt. Coals light slowly rather than burning all at once, much easier to control your temperature. Not in a closed pit style cooker or a ceramic, water pan to keep the humidity up is a good move. Cook until the bark is formed then wrap it in butcher paper (foil acceptable) and out back on until it hits 200 deg. Then wrap the butt in a towel and throw in a cooler for an hour or two.

Other things to do w a butt:

- slice thin, marinate and stack with pineapple, grill upright for al pastor

- Slice thin, marinate in garlic, shallot, lemongrass, oyster sauce, sugar, pepper, grill over coals and stuff into a baguette w pickled carrots, cilantro, cucumber. Banh mi thit nuong.

- cube it up. Slow cooker with chipotles in adobo, orange juice, onions. Cook until fork tender then broil until crispy. Carnitas

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snake method for sure

Apr 18, 2020, 7:27 PM

Cooked plenty of butts this way. Let the physics do the cooking

Re: So, wife bought a pork butt a while back when groceries 1st got scarce.

Apr 18, 2020, 7:55 PM

Update? How did it go?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About 5x better than I’d hoped.

Apr 18, 2020, 9:16 PM

I’d typed up a long response with details but ####### tigernet decided to time me out when I locked my phone for a sec. to move rooms. So, I’d say 8.5/10 for the amount of effort I put in which was very little. This was on a three burner gas grill. Did at 375 degrees because found a recipe on Weber’s website that said 350 - 450. I had to have it done pretty quick and just went with that. Would do again but this time be more prepared. Fantastic all things considered. Thanks for the pro tips, guys.

What in the hell kinda 7Spots drunk ### ####

Apr 18, 2020, 10:21 PM

is this nonsesne?

"Now I would never call this bbq before I get railed on. BBQ is obviously burgers and stuff."

Burgers and stuff is not BBQ, goob.

Now, what you'll probably end up with is closer to a pork roast since there won't be too much smoke without the wood chips. You can still get it real good and tender though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong. I added liquid smoke to the water pan.

Apr 18, 2020, 11:28 PM

It becomes actual real smoke as the heat from the grill triggers the phase change transforming the liquid smoke molecules into actual BBQ smoke molecules. I know this for a fact because I could see the smoke coming off the top of the water in the pan and by the liquid smoke ring in the meat. Also because I do the same thing with my hotdogs and corn on the cob BBQ. Liquid smoke rings in those, as well. All that’s needed in the end...dip it into some catsup. Deeeeelicious.

Put a butt on at 6:30 pm

Apr 19, 2020, 4:06 AM

Just checked and temp is still holding.

Just rubbed it and threw some apple cider vinegar in the drip pan.

Hopefully it’s edible.

Replies: 14
| visibility 611
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic