Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Religion and College Football - an analogy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 538

Religion and College Football - an analogy

Jul 1, 2015, 7:28 PM

Upon reading this extension of the thread below:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17434609

I think the idea can be expanded upon a bit to make Drew's point. Now I understand the idea of religious beliefs are more important than college football allegiance--maybe--but give the concept a try.

I was born into a Clemson family. Dad went there, Mom went there, two uncles went there, and the man who started it all for our family, my grandfather, also did. I was adorned with orange and tiger paws before I learned to walk. When I was five, I came home from preschool one day and said that I wished we were Gamecock fans because I liked red. My father sat me down and gave me a little talking to.

That's just what I was born into. I didn't consider many other options for college, and I remain, like many of you, a disgustingly obsessed Clemson fan. I assist my sister and brother-in-law with brainwashing their children. I married a Clemson woman.

Not everyone is born into that. But many come into the fold. "Born again" Clemson fans, if you will.

And I, like the thousands of others like me, believe to be a part of the chosen ones. The lucky ones. We are fortunate.

But down the road from Clemson, there are those other guys. And they're so disillusioned to believe that THEY are the chosen ones. That they got it right. And bless their little feathered hearts, they actually think we're the infidels.

Of course, some people come over to the other sides. My wife's best friend was a little chicken squawker because of the family she was born into, but she wound up attending Clemson and is as devout a Clemson fan as anyone. I could have easily gone to USC, and it might have actually been better for me given my career choices.

But how would my family have reacted? That's not what I was born into.

And THIS, folks, is the problem so many have the Christian ideology behind salvation, and I think this is the point Drew was trying to make with Cam. Thousands of us are born into the orange flock, and we think we're blessed. Thousands are born into the garnet fold, and they think we're the unfortunate.

So if indeed Clemson fans ARE the ones who got it right (and we are), how do you change the mentality of those who were born into #### families and are as loyal to their school as we are?

How do you get little Muhammed born in Saudi Arabia through no choice of his own to come to the correct team and save his soul? Doesn't seem like a very even or fair playing field God has set up given little Madison who was born into a devoutly Christian home. She'll be baptized and singing Jesus loves me by the time she's five.

Anyway, that's the problem a lot of us have the ideology. But it's still nice we're the chosen people born into the orange fold and not like those garnet and black infidels.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Yes, this is my point

Jul 1, 2015, 7:40 PM

The only difference is that the USCe fans are just born into a lifetime of marginal football, and little Muhamed or Shubcarmen or Ezra are born (per Christian Theology) into an eternity of suffering, Which I just can't reconcile with an Omni God.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A thumbs down with no response

Jul 1, 2015, 7:46 PM

Not that it matters, but I'm assuming this just hurt someone's brain.

A thumbs down with no response

Jul 1, 2015, 7:53 PM

Is just the auto-response of the unintelligent and the tiny. But they'll have to try harder if they think arbitrary Internet clicks can make me joyful or upset.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: Religion and College Football - an analogy

Jul 1, 2015, 7:49 PM

Good thing I'm a Clemson fan who graduated from SCU. All my bases are covered.

My only fear is that UNC or Duke is the One True School, in which case I fully accept burning in h3ll for eternity.

UNC or Duke being the One True School is like

Jul 1, 2015, 9:21 PM

accepting Scientology.

Stucking Fupid.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We get it...you're not religious.***

Jul 1, 2015, 9:51 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey HuntClub

Jul 1, 2015, 10:54 PM

This is what I meant when I said I don't like to throw my pearls before swine. This is what happens. Sometimes Flow almost crests out of the abyss of ineptitude to have a normal discussion, but then he goes spiraling back down.

I guess it was too long to read.

oh puhlease...I have plenty of conversations on here...

Jul 1, 2015, 11:04 PM

doesn't mean I can't make 1-line statements too. I read the whole thing. Understood the whole thing. Gave it a 1-line reply to express my thoughts.

The whole "I'm a ###### 'cause some guys make snide comments" is tired and worn out. At some point you just have to admit you're being a ###### simply to be a ######.

Seriously? "crests out of the abyss of ineptitude"? As I said before...please go back to blog writing for 20 somethings in skinny jeans, cause that crap is just boring.

You seem to have an obsession over guys in skinny jeans

Jul 1, 2015, 11:13 PM

I mean, is there good money in writing blogs for those guys? I don't have to start listening to Death Cab for Cutie or some #### like that, do I?

Okay. I admit it. Needling you is fun. I mean, look at your response. That'll bring a grin to anyone's face.

Are you still upset with me for the other night? Admittedly, I had a bit to drink and was probably a little more ornery than necessary. Do they install Breathylizers for computers and the Interwebs cause that might come in handy.

Would you actually like to have a real, snark-free discussion? Cause I'm game.

All of our societal woes can, in some way...

Jul 2, 2015, 7:54 AM

be traced back to the horror that is skinny jeans.

I understood what you meant

Jul 2, 2015, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Hey HuntClub ]

then and I understand what you mean now. I find in humorous that you refer to your analogy as "throwing pearls before swine," knowing it is just another attempt to mock Christianity as well. And, I would attempt to offer an explanation using Biblical truth but, I know that you are already set in your ways.

Hope you have a good day.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Where exactly was I mocking Christianity?

Jul 2, 2015, 10:13 AM

I've always liked that line from Jesus.

Re: I understood what you meant

Jul 5, 2015, 5:03 PM [ in reply to I understood what you meant ]

How is this post mocking Christianity? Is Christianity above scrutiny? Nobody should even dare question it?

That's a scary thought.

In all seriousness, I would love to hear your biblical explanation for this.

Re: We get it...you're not religious.***

Jul 5, 2015, 5:01 PM [ in reply to We get it...you're not religious.*** ]

Ever notice how you simply say "we get it" or "yawn" as soon as you encounter a compelling argument that conflicts with your own?

How about a rebuttal, just like I asked of you in the other thread (which btw, you did come through on so thanks, that's awesome). It seems that he has a pretty #### good point on a message forum about religion. Maybe you should pony up and show us your side of the story.

It's not an attack on religion to ask serious troubling questions. If your deeply held religious beliefs can't hold up to a little scrutiny, that might be a sign that something isn't quite right. But hey, what do I know?

ever notice that you must not read many of my....

Jul 5, 2015, 7:22 PM

posts on here.

The majority are substantive. Sometimes, a simple reply is all that is warranted.

I don't think cata was seeking a debate on religion with his post. It was a smart #### shot at religion, or at least that's the way I took it...of course, that's in context with his other posts, etc...

However, cata and I bro-hugged on tmail, so it's all good.

Anyways...smart-arse replies on here are encouraged. But if you want to take a shot at me not being able to debate points or back up my opinions and beliefs, then be my guest, but I don't think you'll find too many objective folks on here will agree with you. Geechie probably will though, so you got that going for ya!

i would bet several lunches

Jul 2, 2015, 12:10 AM

that you stole the concept of the post.....

and most of the words.....

thumbs up.

Make it Chick fil A and you're on!

Jul 2, 2015, 12:42 AM

Just kidding, I stole it from Toogie.

That's the gist of many conversations I've had on the

Jul 2, 2015, 9:32 AM

subject as well.

I'll add that I'm convinced that a large portion (I won't hazard a guess on a percentage) of my "Christian" friends are agnostic at best and simply attend church for the business and social benefits it offers.

Replies: 18
| visibility 538
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic