Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What would it take for Sammy to beat Spillers legacy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

What would it take for Sammy to beat Spillers legacy

Jun 26, 2013, 7:44 AM

Even though they were at different positions, given what they have produced and done at Clemson... what would it take for Sammy to live a greater legacy?

Stay all 4 years and win a NC be player of the game, but no heisman? Win a Heisman this year and go to the draft?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What would it take for Sammy to beat Spillers legacy

Jun 26, 2013, 7:49 AM

Imho, if (and that's one BIG if) he won the Heisman this yr, the case could be made that he is the greatest player in CU history.....and that's saying something. Tbh, I'd rather he have a stellar season, set some school records and then come back next season and win the Heisman! Heck, I'd be happy if he duplicated his feats from his frosh season. Kid is special, no doubt. I'm not ready to proclaim him the best ever but he is more than capable of getting into the discussion w/ a spectacular season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2013, 7:58 AM

The thing that IMO makes Spillers legacy so great is he stayed all 4 years, got his degree, and didnt bolt for the NFL bc of the money. He stayed bc he honestly loved Clemson. Yea there were inconstant reports about where he would be taken in the draft but i dont think that mattered as much. These days in the NFL all you need is a good combine to get drafted super high by some teams so i dont think that mattered to him.

The fact that he contributed every single year, which i think Sammy has as well. His stats were down last year, big whoop, Nuk blew up and he was out a couple games and still got 750+ yards.

If Sammy stays all 4 years and gets the Heisman, then yes i think he will have a greater legacy then Spiller. If he stays 3 and wins, its iffy. if he stays for 4 with no hiesman, that i think will depend on how far he helped take the team. No matter what i dont think he will be here 4 years. i will be more shocked than when spiller announced he was staying!

Jun 26, 2013, 7:51 AM

I am not sure he can do that. Spiller was the main guy for Clemson and could change a game w one play. Sammy is good, but guys like Spiller don't come along often.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spiller's signing with Clemson...

Jun 26, 2013, 8:11 AM

started all of this--the re-emergence of Clemson football on a higher level with the ability to sign a Sammy Watkins and other top players. No one can take that legacy away from him. For that reason, and his dedication to Clemson, he will always be special.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I never thought about how impactful his signing

Jun 26, 2013, 8:19 AM

to Clemson was. great call!

Re: Spiller's signing with Clemson...

Jun 26, 2013, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Spiller's signing with Clemson... ]

TU, roar...you're right on the money. Him coming here told the cfb that we were back. And we most certainly still are...

I would say James Davis started all this.

Jun 26, 2013, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Spiller's signing with Clemson... ]

Davis was an important reason Spiller signed with Clemson. Tommy Bowden going out of state to grab a blue chip running back was a big deal.

But...when they talk to players like Sammy

Jun 26, 2013, 8:29 AM

Who was the player who got their attention and made them notice Clemson?

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Yes, they mention CJ...but without JD, there would've been

Jun 26, 2013, 8:36 AM

no CJ...not minimizing Dabo's role at all, but I think without James Davis CJ would've transferred to FL...

That is just an assumption...

Jun 26, 2013, 8:41 AM

I'm not downplaying James Davis' contributions, but I'm not going to give him most of the credit for the re-emergence either.

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Spiller's signing with Clemson...

Jun 26, 2013, 9:03 AM

This was spot on!! When Spiller "A Florida lock" donned that Clemson hat....it paved the way for players like Sammy, Alexander, Watson, etc., to take a chance on something greater than themselves or the "SEC".

THAT is Spiller's legacy!!

Sammy can further that by helping Clemson reach the pinnacle of football greatness. That alone is worth more to me than his eventual stats or records!

Clemson is coming!!!!!

Game winning last second catch to win the national

Jun 26, 2013, 9:38 AM

championship.

Yup. That would do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Winning the natty would automatically do it for me, but Tajh

Jun 26, 2013, 1:28 PM

would always have to be mentioned in the same breath. I'm sure winning the Heisman would do it too.

Crack back block on Clowney that dislodges helmet and teeth

Jun 26, 2013, 1:49 PM

on the way to a 70-17 win in November does it for me.

Seriously, a junior and senior season like his freshman year. If he leaves after this year I don't think there's a chance that he matches up.

If we win the NC I think we'll be talking about Tajh having the greater legacy. Since he would also, in all likelihood, win the Heisman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think it's possible...

Jun 26, 2013, 1:55 PM

I don't think it's possible for Sammy to leave a greater personal legacy than CJ. I think he can be considered as good, or potentially even a better player, but the main hindrance (if you really even want to call it that) is that Sammy has had some incredible talent on his team, whereas CJ wasn't on a great team.

Think about what there is/has been surrounding Sammy Watkins: arguably the best offensive coordinator in the country, a Top 5 QB, a Top 5 WR/1st rounder on the other side of him (along with arguably the best supporting cast of WRs in the nation), and the #1 TE in the country for his first year.

Conversely, CJ Spiller had a generally poor offensive coordinator, a couple of inconsistent QBs in Cullen Harper and Kyle Parker, a very good RB whom he switched off with for two years, and a very good WR in Jacoby Ford. However other than that, the Clemson offense wasn't too great...in fact, CJ really was the Clemson offense.

He ran the ball, caught it out of the backfield, lined up at slot, returned kicks, returned punts...he did everything...and he did it all at an elite level.

If Sammy can live up to expectations this year and potentially his senior year, then he will absolutely go down in history as one of the best Clemson players of all time...but you can argue that at least two other players (Tajh and Nuk) from his teams will too. CJ will forever stand out because he was the jack of all trades and was the face of the program during his tenure.

Re: I don't think it's possible...

Jun 26, 2013, 3:22 PM

I have to agree for all your reasons plus an intangible: great teammate and love for Clemson.

I will never forget the CJ-Spiller chant his last home game. It gave me chills because it was soooo deserved on so many levels.

i know one thing....

Jun 26, 2013, 4:47 PM

in order for him to get close it would take some amazing things happening as far as Clemson is concerned. therefore I'd like to see him make a run at it.

Heisman. Sammy took 10 steps back with the whole mary jane

Jun 26, 2013, 5:18 PM

deal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic