Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
anyone else worried about do Howard being starter, i
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 3,115

anyone else worried about do Howard being starter, i

Aug 13, 2014, 1:04 PM

Think he's a stand up guy but I thought he was our 4th best option last year, now with gall man and the freshmen I still think he's our 4th best option at best. Just doesn't have great speed or moves and seems to go down way too easily. At least brooks can fall forward and has some power. Maybe he really improved but I'd hate for seniority to overu leave talent this year. I just personally think from what I've seen the past few years brooks, davidson, and gall man are ahead talent wise.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, but starter at RB is overrated... Several will play.***

Aug 13, 2014, 1:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: anyone else worried about do Howard being starter, i

Aug 13, 2014, 1:06 PM

So what you saying is we too deep

Aug 13, 2014, 2:02 PM

What I believe he's saying is that we lack a top-flight RB at this point. I agree with him.

Aug 13, 2014, 1:08 PM

Stoudt has never been our best option at QB but he's getting a chance. Our o-line is inexperienced, secondary will be inexperienced, we are young at every position except LB and DL. But super talented everywhere. DJ has been notorious for getting the ball and putting his head straight down and just making it back to the line, hopefully he can run with better vision. If not, there are alot of young guys behind him who would like a chance

Just a few things

Aug 13, 2014, 1:09 PM

1. "anyone else worried about do Howard being starter" what is about do Howard?

2. "Maybe he really improved but I'd hate for seniority to overu leave talent this year" Huh?

3. Who is "gall man"?

4. Why don't you trust the coaches? Have they led us down the wrong path before?

TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

THE LEDENDARY GALL MAN!!***

Aug 13, 2014, 1:14 PM

Re: Just a few things

Aug 13, 2014, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Just a few things ]

Well, there was the Jamie Harper season (2010) where he saw more time than Ellington and made me want to put my fist through the tv on a weekly basis.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I recall, Ellington got hurt that season.

Aug 13, 2014, 1:42 PM

And they split carries pretty evenly before that.

Re: If I recall, Ellington got hurt that season.

Aug 13, 2014, 1:44 PM

I feel like even though they were "co-starters" before the injury that Ellington was so much better that it was frustrating watching Harper come in and dance/struggle for 4 yards.

Aug 13, 2014, 1:46 PM

Yeah if by "split carries" he means 70/30 then yes.

Aug 13, 2014, 1:57 PM

Harper finished with 197 carries to Ellington's 118. Harper also played in 5 more games and got 112 more carries during those games.

Up until the Ellington injury at BC, Harper got 85 carries. Ellington at that point had 117.

Aug 13, 2014, 2:50 PM

You're right, but Harper shouldn't have had near as much playing time as he got in those games.

I didn't say I disagreed. I just said that the carries were

Aug 13, 2014, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: If I recall, Ellington got hurt that season. ]

split pretty evenly. And Ellington had more carries at the time of his injury than Harper did.

If he hasn't improved, then yes I'd hate to think that

Aug 13, 2014, 1:09 PM

the DJ Howard I've seen is our best RB. However, it's situations like this where I trust our coaches; they know a #### of a lot more about football than anybody on here, and beyond the shadow of any doubt they know more about the abilities of individual players. DJ may be 100% healthy, or the light simply may have come on for him, I don't know, but I do know we have a lot of talent at RB, and I'm not that worried about it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

not a bit..whoever chad thinks is our best option

Aug 13, 2014, 1:12 PM

is exactly who i want playing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Aug 13, 2014, 1:33 PM

I certainly do not have any issues with DJH starting. He can run pretty darn well IMO. Gallman, Brooks, CJA are all right there to make it RB-by-committee if needed. I don't see a problem.

FYI: We do not have a Gurley - we did not manage to land him, so we have to do things a little differently. :) We skrong.

Aug 13, 2014, 1:45 PM

GOSH, I THOUGHT PRACTICE WAS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. HOW ELSE WOULD YOU KNOW WHICH BACK IS THE BEST OF THE 4. WHAT DO THOSE DARN COACHES KNOW ANYWAY.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DJ is our most experienced RB

Aug 13, 2014, 1:45 PM

Why not give him a chance to show how hard he has worked and how much he has improved before saying that a totally untested player (Gallman) is the better choice? We don't even know if Gallman or any of the other freshmen can play at this level yet. Howard wants the ball, and I think he's at least earned a shot at being the #1 tailback. Why not just trust the coaches and support our player? The new guys will get their chances.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DJ is our most experienced RB

Aug 13, 2014, 2:13 PM

Howard has been just average years. And now suddenly he's going to be really good? Howard, nor any other player, "deserves" the chance to play. They EARN it through performance at practice. Not putting your best 11 on the field is a disservice to the team.

Well, evidently he's earned it...

Aug 13, 2014, 3:59 PM

Because it looks like DJ is going to get his shot. You do know that players can improve over the course of their college career, right slum? At this point we have absolutely no idea how Gallman, Choice, or any of the younger players will perform at this level. They were good in high school and we hope that will translate to college. What I do know is that DJ has been in the program for years, he's working hard, and he wants the ball. Why criticize him at this point, before the season? It really makes you look like an ahole.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

howard will be just fine as a starter

Aug 13, 2014, 4:12 PM

He has battled injuries and now he is 100% look at hot rod last year 1000+ yards and I recall people last year saying they wanted brooks as the starter. It's going to be by committee anyways Chad just said the other day whoever has the "hot hand" will be playing.

Re: howard will be just fine as a starter

Aug 13, 2014, 6:42 PM

When DJ Howard was a freshman, he was above McDowell on the depth chart. If we can get that type of production from howard this year, we will be fine. Remember, he has been battling injuries the past two years.

Remember in his first ever college game against auburn? He iced the game at the end with at least 4 consecutive runs, including a good looking 20 yard run.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Light didn't go on for Vic Beasley overnight, either

Aug 13, 2014, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: DJ is our most experienced RB ]

He wasn't much of a worry up until last year, his Junior year.

Bowers didn't get to be a force until his final (Junior) year when he decided to put the work in.

Switching to another sport, Jerai Grant wasn't a force until his last year.

Tell 'em coot

Aug 13, 2014, 1:52 PM

smh

If he's the best we got

Aug 13, 2014, 1:53 PM

We're in trouble. Personally, I think Davidson looks better than him and Brooks.

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he's the best we got

Aug 13, 2014, 2:06 PM

incredible at the talent scouts on this site.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't take a scout

Aug 13, 2014, 4:17 PM

to see Howard run the ball standing straight up and collapse like a poorly constructed tent after first contact.

Re: If he's the best we got

Aug 14, 2014, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: If he's the best we got ]

Incredible at the people on this site that can't tell when a player is very average

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2014, 2:00 PM

If Howard is the starter at RB, we are in big trouble at that position. He's a nice guy, but very average talent. It is what it is.

Aug 13, 2014, 2:05 PM

Says the guy with the 44% pulse....

Howard will be FINE!!!

Smh

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The most annoying thing about these kinds of posts is that

Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 PM

they make the post and then never respond to anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

One thing you can count on is...

Aug 13, 2014, 3:09 PM

the best 11 will start. After that, nothing is etched in stone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm not big on all the pessimism, but they'll all got lots

Aug 14, 2014, 3:36 PM

& hopefully they'll all do well.
given the chance first to show us, is the only way to see how he's improved (& obviously he has).
something tells me that SOMEBODY in our high-paid coaching staff knows what they're doing...if DJ is the starter, bet there's a reason!
trust the coaches on this...we're gonna see plenty of big plays & running over people by all our RB's & they bulked up good this summer!
i see them around town, some HUGE m'r-f'rs!!!

Go Tigers!
Time to shine DJ! do it

Replies: 33
| visibility 3,115
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic