Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2010 Football Season Preview: Georgia Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Aug 4, 2010, 11:36 AM

This is it. This is the game that everybody talks about when they ask me about the upcoming football season. Everybody wants to beat Georgia Tech, especially after losing twice in dramatic fashion to the Yellow Jackets a season ago. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WE have got stomp these nerds into a grease spot. HIT the QB

Aug 4, 2010, 11:37 AM

EVERY PLAY

Hit the QB every play !!!

null

South Carolina is NEVER a distant second!***

Aug 4, 2010, 11:41 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are to me******

Aug 4, 2010, 11:47 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in terms of importance of beating them I meant***

Aug 4, 2010, 11:57 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

South Carolina is and always will be the team we must beat!***

Aug 4, 2010, 12:17 PM

Is it too dang much to ask for a journalist to proofread an

Aug 4, 2010, 1:19 PM

article these days? This reliance on spell check is really lazy, IMO.

Can't wait to see "Grog's" 3-4 defense.

BTW, GT will lose 4 of their 6 road games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Is it too dang much to ask for a journalist to proofread an

Aug 4, 2010, 1:51 PM

> BTW, GT will lose 4 of their 6 road games.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking also.

Ask Plyler if he wants to proofread it***

Aug 4, 2010, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Is it too dang much to ask for a journalist to proofread an ]

LOL. Mickey's problem isn't lack of proofreading

Aug 4, 2010, 2:18 PM

It's that he slept through 7th and 8th grade English.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

hears ooing, grumbling, & hissing from the back of the room***

Aug 4, 2010, 1:49 PM

Looking at their schedule, they should 7-0 coming into ...

Aug 4, 2010, 2:02 PM

Death Valley. Their schedule is a cakewalk until we get them at home. 4 of their last 5 games will be tough.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Realistically, GT is a team we should be beating every year

Aug 4, 2010, 2:18 PM

maybe that's another reason they annoy me so much.

Yep, spot on

Aug 4, 2010, 3:23 PM

GT is a little similar to BC in that they are a team that you wonder, or at least I do, how on earth they put out a decent football team every year. UGA rarely has any problems with them, and neither should we. The GT/UGA rivalry is much different than the Clemson/South Carolina rivalry. Alumni of GT normally go to school there for their outstanding engineering program, and do not care that much about GT's athletics once they graduate. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

This leads to where does GT get the rest of its fan base from? Well, they do not really have that much of one. They have one more than BC, and are similar to BC in that they take a back seat to the Braves, Falcons, Hawks, etc, but still they do not have that much support. If you are born in the state of Georgia, and do not attend college, or attend a smaller in state college like Georgia Southern, or Georgia State, but choose to root for a major football program in the state, I would estimate that 80% normally choose the Bulldogs as their team. In South Carolina, in this situation, it is normally 50/50 Clemson or South Carolina. The Gamecocks have a little bit bigger fan base due to having a larger school, and more alumni, but it's not astronomically different like GT and UGA. This also leads to there not being as much animosity between UGA and GT fans, as there are Clemson and South Carolina fans. They do hate each other, and I think UGA upsetting GT last year kept Mark Richt's name from being one that is on the hot seat this off season. If Mark Richt was coming into this season with the possibility of losing to Florida and GT simultaneously three straight years, Bulldog nation would be in an uproar. I think GT has the better team again this year between those two, and on paper it looks like they should beat them. But in the past ten years, UGA has owned GT worse than we have South Caroina, so until GT can prove they can string some wins together against them more than once a decade, I am not predicting a GT win. However, if UGA does lose to Florida and GT this year, Mark Richt's seat will either be very hot, or they could possibly go ahead and pull the plug on him. Now that panty smoocher is no longer the AD, the new AD may feel like he has something to prove, which could cost Mark Richt his job, if he loses to his two biggest rivals.

And, the writer of this is wrong. Nothing in the regular season is bigger than the South Carolina game to the average Clemson fan, nothing.

Not sure that you are correct about the level of animosity

Aug 4, 2010, 3:43 PM

between GT and UGA fans. I think that it is similar to Clemson/USC, although it is more one-sided. UGA fans don't give the GT fan base much respect or attention, likely because they have owned them to an even greater degree than we have owned USC (as you mentioned). In my experience living in Atlanta, however, GT fans absolutely hate everything about UGA.

You may already know this, but GT changed their season ticket policy this year in another attempt to keep UGA fans from buying season tickets just to get GT/UGA game tickets when it is played in ATL. In order to get tickets to that game, apparently you must be a season ticket holder for two consecutive years. Of course, many GT season ticket holders will sell their game tickets to UGA fans anyway...

Re: Not sure that you are correct about the level of animosity

Aug 4, 2010, 4:09 PM

I probably mistakenly posted what I was trying to say incorrectly. I do think there is huge animosity between UGA and GT fans. My cousin went to UGA, and he went down to Atlanta for a game one year, and there was a fight between about six different GT and UGA fans behind the stadium. There is some great hate, but as you said, Clemson/USC is more one sided. One year we played GT, and it was that horrible game of 2004 in Death Valley. Anyway, I was sitting amongst numerous GT fans in the upper corner of Death Valley for that one. My buddy and I had two tickets, but were in different locations, so we, I guess kind of stupidly, filled in some seats where the GT fans did not sell their allotment. The exact same day South Carolina was playing UGA. I do not remember the specifics, but South Carolina also lost to UGA in heart breaking fashion that day, after blowing a decent lead. They kept announcing the score in Death Valley, and the GT fans kept cheering, while the Clemson fans were booing. Then they announced the final, where UGA had came back and won, and I have never heard so much cursing in all my life among the GT fans. Even in the restrooms they were kicking the stalls in Death Valley saying "I hate UGA!" At the end of the game, when it ended the way it did, this was back when I was drinking a little too much, and my buddy had to restrain me from jumping on a 50 year old GT fan that kept saying "eff Clemson, eff Clemson."

Aug 4, 2010, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Not sure that you are correct about the level of animosity ]

I agree with you on the level of hatred between UGA/GT. They HATE each other. After graduation from Clemson, I lived forty three years in the Atlanta area. In those days GT owned us. We would play there EVERY YEAR and they would beat us every year. Just because most of their graduates are engineers does not mean they don't like football.

Aug 5, 2010, 12:48 AM

I agree, I also posted the other night about how we used to play at GT and SCAR every single year, as well as Auburn, and more times at Georgia than at Clemson. All of this was prior to the 1980s, of course. We have played at South Carolina 82 times, and they have played at Clemson 25 times, yet we still own them all time.

My main point is that's pretty much the only people in Georgia who care about GT, are GT grads, and very few non grads. And this day and time a lot of GT grads are nerds, and do not care about the athletics once they leave, and move to another state. But yes, the ones who do care do hate UGA with a passion.

Aug 5, 2010, 10:36 AM

Just because someone is a "nerd" or engineer doesn't mean they don't like athletics. I'm an engineer who graduated from Clemson (BS and MS), and I, along with all of my engineer friends, am pretty die hard when it comes to football (or any Clemson sports, for that matter). I'm still pi$$ed about baseball.

As far as people who don't like atheletics that attend GT (or Clemson or wherever), there is most likely a high percentage of students from other countries in engineering. They usually do not care about athletics. This probably pertains mostly to the graduate level, though. That's how it was when I was at Clemson.

Anyway, I'm looking for 2 tix for the GT game. I'm bringing my girlfriend to Clemson for the first time. She went to Texas A&M. I'm going to show her how we do it in Death Valley (hopefully with a big win). Oh wow! I think it's time for me to get off TNet and get back to work. GO TIGERS!!!!

Aug 5, 2010, 1:31 PM

Oh, geez, here we go with the politically correct, over sensitive people, who take what I am saying completely out of context.

You pretty much contradicted yourself by saying this:

As far as people who don't like atheletics that attend GT (or Clemson or wherever), there is most likely a high percentage of students from other countries in engineering. They usually do not care about athletics. This probably pertains mostly to the graduate level, though. That's how it was when I was at Clemson.

That is, in many ways, one of my main points. GT is well known to have an excellent engineering school. I cannot tell you where it ranks without looking it up, but probably around the top in the south. The people from other countries that you speak of, and a lot of very smart people, are probably more times than not, not very interested in athletics. GT, being a top engineering school, will attract many of these types of students. They are the type of people who are married/obsessed with their jobs, and do not have much of a life outside of their work. They are a very different breed of people. The engineers at Clemson will not be as bad, because Clemson does not rank as high as GT in engineering. Therefore, there is a stronger likelihood that Clemson engineering grads will support the athletic teams after college, than the GT engineering grads.

Aug 5, 2010, 3:35 PM

I'm sorry I have a different opinion than you. I'm just saying that being intelligent doesn't predispose a person to liking or disliking athletics. You obviously like atheletics. Hmmm.... What does that mean?

As for you bolding an excerpt from my post saying I contradicted myself, the "high percentage" I was talking about is still probably less than 10 - 25%. I meant the percentage was high relative to other majors, i.e., education or whatever it is you majored in. High percentage did not mean majority. I guess I should have been more clear. Sorry about that.

Aug 5, 2010, 4:10 PM

LOL, I am sorry I hurt your feelings. I never said that EVERY intelligent person did not like sports. I graduated from Clemson with a degree in Economics. I was an average student, not at the top of my class, not at the bottom, either. I am not a Rhodes Scholar by any means, but I do not feel like I am dumb, either. I guess if you want to make your own determinationn to my level of intelligence by that information, then have at it. Whatever you come up with, I could not really care less.

I personally think that it is a pretty well known fact, that very highly intelligent people have a lot of book smarts, but not a whole lot of common sense. They talk to us 'average' people in language where we are like, wow, slow down buddy.

One of Thomas Edison's assistants, Nikola Tesla, was quoted as saying this one time:

"He had no hobby, cared for no sort of amusement of any kind and lived in utter disregard of the most elementary rules of hygiene" and that, "His method was inefficient in the extreme, for an immense ground had to be covered to get anything at all unless blind chance intervened and, at first, I was almost a sorry witness of his doings, knowing that just a little theory and calculation would have saved him 90% of the labour. But he had a veritable contempt for book learning and mathematical knowledge, trusting himself entirely to his inventor's instinct and practical American sense."

Once again, all I am saying is that highly intelligent people, who are too smart for their own good, and have no common sense, really do not have much of an interest in sports. That does not pertain to EVERY single GT grad, but would pertain to MORE GT grads than it would Clemson grads, due to the GT's highly regarded engineering school. The very smart type of people who have great book smarts, but no common sense, tend to major in things like enineering, than they do in simple business.

I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Re: Realistically, GT is a team we should be beating every year

Aug 7, 2010, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Realistically, GT is a team we should be beating every year ]

I have never met a more dillusional fan base than you guys. Well, maybe South Carolina.

What in your history would lead you to believe that you shoud be beating Tech every year.

The all time record in the series is 47-24-2 in favor of Georgia Tech.

Tech has won 4 of the last 5, including 2 last year.

The teams have each won 13 games in the 26 years that Tech has been in the ACC.

Actually, it seems Tech should be beating you every year. Oh wait, we have been recently.

GT is a team we should be beating more often but

Aug 7, 2010, 11:44 AM

they have always been pretty solid. Agree with the techie here. One of these days the close game worm will turn our way.

Now as for delusional fans...please...one or two message board whackos does not constitute a fan base.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Y'all have had our number as of late. It's a good rivalry.

Aug 7, 2010, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Realistically, GT is a team we should be beating every year ]

Games are always close hard fought battles.

As a resident of Atlanta for the past 14 years, I have had

Aug 4, 2010, 3:01 PM

enough of GT having our number. While I respect what Paul Johnson has done with the program, and appreciate his candid no B.S. style, a beat down from Clemson is overdue. Our series has been incredibly competitive during my time in Atlanta, except for two b*&%h slaps that we delivered at GT in 2003 and at Clemson in 2006. Joshua Nesbitt will not bounce off of three defenders and fall forward for 5 yards in Death Valley, but he will put a couple of balls on the ground and throw a pick or two. A beat down is coming, and order will be restored.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic