Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, DeChambeau says par at Augusta is 67 for him
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 458

So, DeChambeau says par at Augusta is 67 for him

Nov 9, 2020, 8:07 PM

using a 48 inch driver and the par fives are all reachable. Ball speed of 201 and a carry of 362.

I hope he shoots an 80 day one and eats those words.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then and now

Nov 9, 2020, 8:10 PM

https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/status/1325878810483564545?s=20

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thin and now

Nov 9, 2020, 8:56 PM

Fify

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wonder which Par 4 plays as a Par 3?

Nov 9, 2020, 8:18 PM

So all 4 of the Par 5s play as Par 4s - that's a 68 (-4). Pretty normal for pro golfers on PGA courses.

That leaves one more hole that plays a shot lower than par. Wonder which one? Does he think #3 is drivable? That's the shortest one I think, with the nasty false front though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He drove past #3 green with a 3 metal last week***

Nov 9, 2020, 8:25 PM

^^^yep^^^***

Nov 9, 2020, 8:38 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

They overlayed his US Open drives onto the first hole

Nov 9, 2020, 8:33 PM [ in reply to wonder which Par 4 plays as a Par 3? ]

and one drive made it to the green.

Hole #1 is over 440 Yards iirc.

If anything would spur changes, that would do it. That would

Nov 9, 2020, 9:43 PM

be so fun do see, and if he can do it he should, but after the novelty wore off I think everyone would see that driving the #1 hole at Augusta is a bit much. Time for a change. Will be in the ball, probably.

Some tnetters here can fill in some blanks, but what I remember about #1 is that it is significantly uphill from the dogleg right up to the green. Havent seen it in a few years, so maybe not remembering correctly. If that is the case, unless the overlays they were using were of similar topography, I don't think the green is danger. But yeah, he's going to have a short wedge in. That used to be a driver and 7 iron for those guys, a tough hole due to a tough green. With a wedge from 120, not a big deal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's definitely the ball

Nov 9, 2020, 10:57 PM

Modern ball is a rock which goes a mile. With the higher swing speeds the pros can kill it AND work it left and/or right. I saw something on the Golf Channel a good while back where Nick Faldo hit a balata ball with a modern (at the time) metal wood and hit it about 270. Then hit a modern ball (again, at the time) with an old persimmon wood and he smoked it about 310. They will definitely go after the ball first if they are smart, IMO.

#1 is somewhat uphill from the fairway but not significantly. The green is fairly elevated from the fairway though. Doubt he would be able to drive it onto the green even if he has the distance, but he would definitely turn it into a pitch and putt if he hits 3 wood off the first tee.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

I saw another thing on the Golf Channel (or someplace like

Nov 10, 2020, 1:15 AM

that) that analyzed slo-mo and full speed tapes of swings of people like Ben Hogan and Sam Snead, and calculated after adjusting for driver length and shaft material that their swing speeds were no slower than today. This was 4 or 5 years ago, when Bubba was the longest, so Bryson may have eclipsed that. But yeah, if you look at a tape of Nicklaus or Johnny Miller in their prime, man, they went after it. Give them a modern driver and ball, and its over 300 easy.

On the other hand, 30 years ago a 100 mph fastball was legendary. Today you can hardly make it as a reliever if you're not there, or close to it. So, I don't know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he aint using a 48 inch driver....geeezus***

Nov 9, 2020, 8:38 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Per Golf Channel, he did not use in today in the practice

Nov 9, 2020, 8:48 PM

round, but did on the range. He is trying to decide which one to use.

I would love to see it just for entertainment value.

Nov 9, 2020, 9:29 PM

I am pretty much a purist, to the degree that for a long time I have liked Nicklaus's idea that all players should be issued a ball(s) on the first tee. All identical. If you want more or less spin, higher or lower flight, you should learn to develop the swing you need rather having the ball do it. Its like a pitcher asking for a ball with higher seams (breaks more) for certain batters. All other sports unify the balls down to the nth degree, and so should golf. And its time to cut back the maximum speed they will go off the Iron Byron.

How much spin a standard ball should have is another subject, but my guess is that if the standard ball spun as much as a Titleist 30 years ago, Bryson couldn't be going for 360 yard carries. First, it would balloon and wouldn't go that far, and second it would be very hard to keep in play. There is no way a balata, wound Titleist, hit as hard as he hits it, would fly in that parabolic shape his drives have. Anyway, make the balls standard.

But yeah, a 48 inch driver. Would love to see it.

Phil going with a 47.5" driver

Nov 9, 2020, 8:49 PM [ in reply to he aint using a 48 inch driver....geeezus*** ]

Phil got the crazy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOMBS

Nov 10, 2020, 10:33 AM

Seems to be something of a tool***

Nov 9, 2020, 9:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

We don't care what he thinks, he should shutup and

Nov 10, 2020, 8:10 AM

golf.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 458
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic