Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
haven't done the maths yet...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

haven't done the maths yet...

Oct 25, 2015, 3:29 AM

...but when the NCAA updates its statistics, Clemson could well be #3 or #4 in the country in total D tomorrow.

We allowed all of 145 or so yards to Miami, which significantly lowers our season average of 280, which was good for the #10 D in the country, in total D. Boston College at #1 (just 196ypg) and Michigan at #2 (210ypg) are probably out of sight, at least for the moment, but teams #10 through #5 were separated by less than twelve yards per game. Clemson certainly made that up against Miami.

That leaves Duke at #4, averaging 252 yards per game, and NC State, at 240. NC State took a BIT of a hit, allowing 333 yards to Wake, but Duke gave up over 450 in its quadruple overtime win over Virginia Tech. When the stats come out, Clemson will have (likely) overtaken Duke, or very close.

NC State will probably stay ahead...for the week. Clemson can alter that math personally next week, so the Wolfpack will have to earn that #3 overall defensive rating by beating Clemson. That stuff tends to come out in the wash. Especially when you consider the miserable (and FCS-level) offenses that the Wolfpack have played.

The long and short of it is, as good as Clemson's defense was last season, through seven games it's been within an inch as good...even after losing nine starters off last year's D. That's...impressive.

Clemson's offense adds over 600 total yards against Miami too, which should bump it up - statistically - from the overall #35 ranking it had...truthfully, though, it's hard to tell exactly how good Clemson's offense is because it's played so many backups and bench guys from the third quarter on this year. Dabo doesn't just keep blasting away to run up scores. The other thing that's complicating that analysis is that we've seen Clemson beat teams decisively with both the run and the pass...last week, Clemson threw for over 420 yards, this week Clemson ran for 416. We've seen Clemson beat people over the head with Wayne Gallman, rip them with the read-option with Deshaun Watson, pick people apart with the short pass, or just go over their heads deep, like we did last week against BC. This offense truly is "pick your poison". Combine that with a defense that is very much looking the part of a Top-5 unit and it's not surprising the statistical metrics at S&P+ have Clemson ranked #1 in the nation, even if the voters and talking heads are still debating if Clemson is truly worthy of being a playoff team.

The best team in the country? Maybe. But Clemson is certainly the most balanced, and the stats back that up. Which is all the more interesting when you consider that Dabo is maybe the fastest hook in college football when it comes to yanking starters and playing backups when the game is in hand.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^very nice piece of work***

Oct 25, 2015, 3:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: haven't done the maths yet...

Oct 25, 2015, 3:36 AM

Its called creating depth at key positions to build for the future. Why run the score up and risk getting your QB killed or injured. Baylor has been demolishing teams but they have held their QB in until late in the 4th quarter of games for what reason when you are up 50 points. Get a sizable lead and with our defense we should hold them. That's why he is playing more and more kids. The deeper we are the better as the season progresses.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2015, 3:44 AM

Oh, I know. I agree with the philosophy. Just saying Dabo isn't padding stats...quite the opposite, actually.

The more advanced game metrics - game control, defensive efficiency, TFL, all that - have noticed.

thx Q

Oct 25, 2015, 4:28 AM

boom

null

Oct 25, 2015, 5:01 AM

quozze;: great post! and I agree.

I am sure there's going to be some rag reaction to this

Oct 25, 2015, 5:42 AM

but whatever.

great post as always sir. always enjoy the analysis. got you on speed dial...

if I might I'd add another point though, and that is the question as to just how much our schedule, or utter weakness thereof, plays in the stats. that's because no matter how good the Tigers looked in the first 3 quarters against Notre Dame, they were quite literally over-matched in the 4th quarter on both sides of the ball and only a couple of magically timed turnovers by the Domers saved the game. well that and Carlos Watkins of course.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a more putrid group of ACC teams as this year, and it gets worse every week. To think that Duke, who lost at home to a now obviously run-of-the-mill Northwestern team, and UNCheat, who lost to by-gawd USuCk-with-the-Old, old, very old Ball Coach, are serious contenders in the Coastal bracket is mind-boggling. Then to watch FSU sheatt-can one of our toughest foes in Louisville, then turn around and lose to Ga Tech, after making the mistake of letting the Bees hang around all game long, is simply too much for the logic meter to reasonably handle. well that and the unsettling but distinct notion that a good can of cat food could challenge for the title in the ACC this year.

I hope we make the play-offs because I want to see us play two quality teams on a national scale, the post-BCS college football equivalent of a double-date with two Swedish nurses. I want to see us try to add to the Big Daddy list of Bowl victims of LSU, Oklahoma, and the Buckeyes. I want to see us step out of the shadow of FSlose, separate ourselves from the rest of Swoffie's hot pile of zhit, and get that 1983, always nationally-relevant feeling back.

well that and I'm tired of the sycophantic gluttony of mindless hype, as we've got enough smoke being blown up our arses right now to give Smokey the Bear a good coronary or two even, stats or no stats.

Re: I am sure there's going to be some rag reaction to this

Oct 25, 2015, 5:57 AM

Here's what I read from your post :
1. You like Clemson
2 . You really think Clemson has a weak Schedule , explaining our high ranking and success .
3 . You feel like our win against ND was a lucky win and we deserved to lose because of a failed 4th quarter comeback by the Irish
4. We have an easy slate left , and should be terrified of that easiness being our CFB playoff-downfall .
5. I don't know man , maybe you and I should just go back and erase my #1 entry here ....but what do you think ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

aahh, the good ol' days when I was branded a pumper,

Oct 25, 2015, 9:37 AM

and had daily fights with a left-wing Commie by the name of Blue Caddy over one losing season and whether we should keep a wet-behind-the-ears WR coach who hadn't even served his appointed time at OC. Boy, the fun of 2010 seems like yesterday...

Now I am an obsessively obstinate and clearly stunted curmudgeon raining on the RAG's parade by not joining in the self-promoting pithy banter designed to convince us all of both your indomitable intelligence and your cuddly cuteness.

Carry on RAG - you know it all....

{fawn, fawn, fawn}

Re: I am sure there's going to be some rag reaction to this***

Oct 25, 2015, 7:12 AM [ in reply to I am sure there's going to be some rag reaction to this ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Not sure the point of your post, but I

Oct 25, 2015, 10:56 AM [ in reply to I am sure there's going to be some rag reaction to this ]

don' think the ACC is weak as you and the media want us to believe. We don't fit the hype machine. Since before the season started, it seems they had to find a way to keep an ACC team out of the playoffs. It has been constant message every weekend. Even this morning, "does FSU's lost keep Clemson out????" That is absurd: win out and we are in.

Teams change of the course of the season. I think South Carolina would have no chance against UNC now.

That "bad" Northwestern Team beat Stanford (everyone current darling) by more than they beat Duke. If they played again, my money would be on Duke, even though Northwestern just knocked off Nebraska too. Cuttcliff is a great coach IMHO.

Pitt's only loss is to an undefeated Iowa team. The Coastal has thee one loss teams, and is playing some good football now.

Just how is that putrid?

The ACC could easily have four or five top 20 teams. I don' t get it. We are exceeding expectations as a conference in part because initial lack of respect, but I think the ACC is doing pretty good right.

I just don't share your opinion.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, you don't share in my opinion, which is fair,

Oct 25, 2015, 3:29 PM

but at least I deal in actual games, while you deal in postulates of what might be now.

That's the problem.... whatever happens on the field counts,

while whatever happens in the mind is, well, just opinion.

Duke did not beat Northwestern, nor did UNCheat beat USuCk.

If you believe different, and you want to deal in postulates,

then be ready for the ESPiN machine to postulate Clemson right out of the final four

because unfortunately that door swings both ways....

Oct 25, 2015, 6:43 AM

Good post. I hope your statement is read by the CLEMSON D. NCSU's D being ahead of the CLEMSON D is an insult.

"NC State will probably stay ahead...for the week. Clemson can alter that math personally next week, so the Wolfpack will have to earn that #3 overall defensive rating by beating Clemson. That stuff tends to come out in the wash. Especially when you consider the miserable (and FCS-level) offenses that the Wolfpack have played."

Just using your numbers, we will be at 260 ypg, and

Oct 25, 2015, 6:54 AM

Duke will jump to 280, so we will be well ahead of Duke now, but still behind NC State, who would be at 255.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great read. FYI...we are #4.

Oct 25, 2015, 6:55 AM

NCSU is #3.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks again for your efforts. I always look forward to

Oct 25, 2015, 8:02 AM

your insight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NC State has feasted on terrible competition

Oct 25, 2015, 9:39 AM

we will put up at least 500 yards on them and 45 points

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic