Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: James P. Clements named president of Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

General Update: James P. Clements named president of Clemson

Nov 11, 2013, 11:36 AM

James P. Clements named president of Clemson

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: General Update: James P. Clements named president of Clemson

Nov 11, 2013, 11:40 AM

Nice speech. Seems like a good guy w a nice family.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2013, 3:59 PM

I agree with you. I wonder if the children will transfer to Clemson at some point? The irony is in the criticism WVU received for their academics when they were mentioned for ACC. That being said, I think we have a winner.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This article talks about a lot of things that sound official

Nov 11, 2013, 11:52 AM

so he must be smart and qualified right?
;)

Nov 11, 2013, 11:54 AM

Is he another Max Lennon that thinks sports is for dumb jocks? Please tell me he'll respect the importance of sports to the Clemson alumni.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He seems well spoken, and understands public universities.

Nov 11, 2013, 11:56 AM

I'm sure the search committee did their homework, as getting someone to be the face of Clemson University - especially at this point in our university's history - is so crucial. I think President Barker did an outstanding job, and I hope that President Clements can continue the amazing progress made at Clemson over the past 10+ years.

When I first heard that he was at WVU, my immediate reaction was concern since we are light years ahead of them academically. But he did not create their low academic ranking, and indications are that he did a lot to improve some things there. He also raised a lot of money and seemed to have a "can-do" attitude. I think he'll do well at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I heard we are going to be know as the Clements Tigers

Nov 11, 2013, 12:09 PM

with a different tiger mascot. can anyone confirm? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I heard we are going to be know as the Clements Tigers

Nov 11, 2013, 12:18 PM

I think Barker did some good things for Clemson, but I think it was time for new leadership.

Re: I heard we are going to be know as the Clements Tigers

Nov 11, 2013, 1:44 PM [ in reply to I heard we are going to be know as the Clements Tigers ]

Not so fast my friend-we will be the Flaming Sofas!!

I hope you are right about the search committee and Clements

Nov 11, 2013, 1:58 PM [ in reply to He seems well spoken, and understands public universities. ]

I have watched us screw up royally when we have left the Clemson family to hire a PhD with a somewhat marginal "land grant" administrative background. Lennon was the worst, but Curris wasn't much better. I liked Bill Atchley a lot as a person, but he was in a bit over his head and never really got Clemson. Our best presidents have been Clemson men without PhDs - Edwards, Cox, Prince and Barker.

I had hoped we would not go the academic route, but if we were going to go that route I had hoped we would swing for the bleachers. I am ready and willing to be proven wrong of course...

Re: I hope you are right about the search committee and Clements

Nov 11, 2013, 2:05 PM

Bill Atchley sucked as a pres

Fair enough, but not as badly as Lennon and Curris

Nov 11, 2013, 2:19 PM

sucked as president. Which is what I was trying to say in the previous post but more nicely ...

Curris was fine.***

Nov 11, 2013, 4:02 PM

No he wasn't***

Nov 11, 2013, 4:12 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I had a daughter there during that time. He seemed to do

Nov 11, 2013, 4:24 PM

well. I guess we will just have to disagree For me it is Edwards and Cox.

I guess we will...

Nov 11, 2013, 4:51 PM

I worked there from Lennon - Barker. So, we probably saw him from different perspectives.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Although I am partial to Clemson grad, I think we'll be fine***

Nov 11, 2013, 4:05 PM [ in reply to I hope you are right about the search committee and Clements ]

my question is....

Nov 11, 2013, 12:13 PM

Is he bringing his own couches to burn, or they part of his compensation package?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems there is a Clemson tie in here

Nov 11, 2013, 12:34 PM

Saw where his wife's family lives near Clemson and her two brothers and a sister in law graduated from Clemson.

Based on the reactions from the WVU board...

Nov 11, 2013, 12:41 PM

looks like a nice coup for us.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2508&t=12300308

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL at one WVU fan seeing it as lateral move:

Nov 11, 2013, 1:15 PM

"Wow, hard to believe going to a smaller school with about the same direction is an upgrade for Clements?"

LMAO, really?!? Same direction? Um, we are one of the top public universities in the nation, trending upward, in a great community, in a very well-rounded athletic conference. In contrast, WVU is a crappy school, in a dirt poor state, struggling in their new athletic conference.

This is a definite upward move for Clements.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The are clueless at WVU but they know Clements has been

Nov 11, 2013, 1:50 PM

an upgrade from what they were accustomed. Not sure that it will be as easy for him to impress at Clemson. The two schools shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath academically - WVU homers don't know that but hopefully Clements does...

I have been scratching my head over this choice, but

Nov 11, 2013, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Seems there is a Clemson tie in here ]

the off chance that a guy from Maryland with a less than first-rate resume - PhD from Maryland-Baltimore County (really?), Provost at Towson State (community college, hmmm, ok?), and president of WVU (cue the banjo music) - might actually GET Clemson through his wife's family makes me feel somewhat better about it...

He also has a graduate degree from Johns Hopkins.

Nov 11, 2013, 2:39 PM

He is very respected in the academic community, and has both regional and national leadership positions. I think he will be a great president for us.

He got in the ACC afterall.***

Nov 11, 2013, 1:22 PM

....and the couches are nervous in Pickins Co.***

Nov 11, 2013, 1:37 PM

two great hires

Nov 11, 2013, 2:29 PM

In an AD and now the new Prez!

DB23

I like him so far

Nov 11, 2013, 2:38 PM

Young(ish) energetic guy, has some direct ties to Clemson which I very much appreciated. He gets what Clemson family is all about. I also like that he has philosophical ties with President Barker.

I wonder if as his first act as President he can vacate that Orange Bowl win by WVU? ;)

I agree, I'm very impressed also.

Nov 11, 2013, 2:41 PM

He seems to have a nice mix of experience and enthusiasm. I can see why he has been such a successful fundraiser. Hopefully he will continue our trajectory academically, while also supporting athletics. I believe he will.

hard to believe that there was not

Nov 11, 2013, 3:10 PM

a cu grad or someone with closer ties to the univ that was not equally qualified. west va??? really? hope this works out

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2013, 3:27 PM

Now he just needs to put on the tiger suit n do push ups after our 35 point Thurs night and win over the students.

Nov 11, 2013, 3:37 PM

I believe he wil to fine. Looks lke a grat hire with ties to CU. This is a great step as a him and us. $1M salary I believe he wanted. Smart man that know technology.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would rather have a Clemson man, but will give Clements

Nov 11, 2013, 4:17 PM

the benefit of the doubt for a while. He seems to have the credentials, but WVU is not impressive academically. Much more will be expected at Clemson. I am sure he knows that. Good luck to you, sir.

--Henry David Thoreau

Not One Decendant?? ----

Nov 11, 2013, 4:31 PM

Do you mean to tell me there wasn't at least one
decendant of Thomas Green Clemson that could do
or want this job???

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic