Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the SEC that good?
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Is the SEC that good?

Aug 15, 2012, 3:56 PM

My sister sent me this article and needless to say it raises some interesting points. Check it out;

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a great read...F the SEC.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:09 PM

It's pretty obvious to most outside of SEC-fantasyland that the "hype" doesn't match reality and the system is set up to favor that conference.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the SEC that good?

Aug 15, 2012, 4:09 PM

yah i dont agree with the contract between ESPN and the SEC its BS but there's nothing we can do about it

Count the Crystal Footballs

Aug 15, 2012, 4:11 PM

Look at ACC record in BCS games. Borrow a quarter and buy a clue.

hahaha just like a coot...

Aug 15, 2012, 4:15 PM

living off what its conference counterparts have done. guess what fool, they don't give a crap about you! LSU is just happy to have you on the schedule this year to wipe the floor clean with you!

What's the coots record in BCS games again?

Aug 15, 2012, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Count the Crystal Footballs ]

chirp...chirp...chirp

Quit living off of other's success.

Re: What's the coots record in BCS games again?

Aug 15, 2012, 4:20 PM

Winning % is the same as yours.

^^^Coot logic at its finest....LMAO***

Aug 15, 2012, 4:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: What's the coots record in BCS games again?

Oct 12, 2012, 7:10 AM [ in reply to What's the coots record in BCS games again? ]

While I hate the coots and hope they find out that both "Death Valley's" are still death and I love the SEC analysis in the read, the piece comes from an avowed hater of the South (Note the title of the book). Please don't give this bigot Yankee any more praise.

We have one. Which is one more than you'll ever have.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Count the Crystal Footballs ]

And how many BCS bowl games have you been to? Oh right, you haven't. #### coot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Which one? Keep in mind the BCS began in 1998.***

Aug 20, 2012, 10:35 AM

Re: Count the Crystal Footballs

Aug 15, 2012, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Count the Crystal Footballs ]

Just show us your crystal football you sorry coot !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2012, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Count the Crystal Footballs ]

Clearly reading comprehension is not your strong suit. The logic of how those Crystal Footballs were gifts of the ESPN machine... as was well written in the article... has completely evaded you.

(Sigh)

Aug 15, 2012, 4:45 PM

Everyone of those except the last one could have been won by another conference in the title game. SEC keeps beating them, though. Also, his data in the article is very skewed. its been researched and shown before that the vast mjority of the games between SEC teams and OOC teams are games in which the OOC team is the higher rated team in its own conference. You end up with alot of USC vs Arky, or Oregon vs UT type games where its the best team from one conference playing the 4th or 5th best SEC team. Even the bowl system is set up that way. In almost every bowl the SEC has a tie in to the other conference is bringing a team that finished higher than the one the SEC is bringing. he doesn't account for any of that in his data.

I'm sure you have a link for this research right?

Aug 15, 2012, 4:48 PM

"its been researched and shown before"

Aug 15, 2012, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Count the Crystal Footballs ]

You just proved his point, if what you say is true. The "higher" ranked opponents in the SEC tie in bowls should have been playing against higher ranked opponents and in better bowls. The ESPN machine placed them in the lower tiers.
And... the SEC teams were playing in games purely because of the tie in (set up by the ESecPN business model) and did not deserve to be there in the first place.

Don't confuse him. Each conference has 3-4 elite teams.

Aug 15, 2012, 5:21 PM

The rest are, for the most part, mediocre though they than can win on any given day. The bias is in the initial rankings and the perception ESPN promotes. Nobody is going to tell me that AU's NC team was that much better than CU's 6-7 team two years ago in Auburn and they ended up running the SEC. The whole system is skewed to the benefit of a few. That said, Clemson's getting ready to be one of the few. Beat AU and get it started.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2012, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Count the Crystal Footballs ]

the bowls made the tie-ins. not espn. and the teams are usually not higher ranked, they just finished higher in their own conference standings.

if people dont like how the SEC is treated they always have the option of proving it wrong on the field. yet, when its a top SEC team vs a top OCC team the SEC team consistently comes out on top. almost the only time the other conference wins is when its a top OCC team vs a middle of the pack SEC team. even then its not a given. look at our game last year. the SEC is considered the best for a reason and its not espn.

Bowls make the tie ins... really?

Aug 15, 2012, 6:43 PM

What part of "ESPN airs 33 of the 35 bowl games" (I may have the numbers wrong) didn't you understand? To think the ESecPN does not have the ear of the bowls is naive.
Proving it wrong on the field? According to the article, the outcomes on the field do no tilt in the SEC's favor to dramatically show dominance.
Don't get me wrong. Bama and LSU are elite. Arkansas is a comer. However, USC (the real one), Oregon, and a hand full of others could stand toe to toe with them.
The rest? Any given Saturday.

Re: Bowls make the tie ins... really?

Aug 15, 2012, 6:57 PM

yeah but the article does nothing to account for the fact that its usually a middle of the pack or bottom tier SEC team playing one of the other conferences best teams. the tie-ins clearly show that. if the ACC #2 beats the SEC #6 thats not really a fair comparison and says nothing about which conference is better but thats usually close to the situation that happens. if you lined the SEC up top to bottom with any conference and played the games the SEC would easily come out on top. we will probably be 5th or 6th best team in SEC this year. we would be favored over the 5 or 6 from any other conference and be favored over alot of the 3s and 4s. we would be a top 2 team in ACC.

Look a USC-lite's record in BCS games

Aug 15, 2012, 5:19 PM [ in reply to Count the Crystal Footballs ]

Oh snap...that's right...you jock straps have never played in a BCS game (or any other meaningful bowl game for that matter).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:16 PM

Glad to see you Soithern Country Gentlemen are buying into that anti-Southern author's screed.

Ah, but any stick to beat the devil.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:25 PM

Hey idiot he slammed YOU not us !! I don't care where he's from....he spoke the truth !!

If E$PN weren't such SEC homers, we wouldn't be having this

Aug 15, 2012, 4:17 PM

discussion.

Screw Calford.

Re: If E$PN weren't such SEC homers, we wouldn't be having this

Aug 15, 2012, 4:26 PM

Exactly !!

Your reading assignment today

Aug 15, 2012, 4:20 PM

Matthew 5:22

Aug 15, 2012, 4:21 PM

I stopped reading the article after "jackhammer sex with Mila Kunis", and had to go 'be alone' for awhile :)

Aug 15, 2012, 4:28 PM

You could have replaced Mila Kunis with SOS and then you could have finished the article !! LOL

Aug 15, 2012, 4:25 PM

several points on there are exactly what we have been saying on here for several years now... glad to see someone else share these ideas

that northern dooosh is the first one who ever made

Aug 15, 2012, 4:26 PM

me want to root for the sec.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:35 PM

from top to bottom, they are the best. they are not as great as espn makes them out to be. if you took the top 10 sec teams and paired them up in a tournament against the top 10 from any other conference in the country, the sec would win the majority of the games. im not a sec homer, just a realist. the academic standards in the sec are more likely to attract the best athletes.

The scenario he uses with Oregon losing to LSU and dropping.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:36 PM

.......10 spots while Alabama only dropped 2 spots is telling. It's a shame but as long as ESPN is allowed to rule the landscape like this it's not gonna change.

Re: The scenario he uses with Oregon losing to LSU and dropping.

Aug 15, 2012, 4:40 PM

He also said, that Oregon had no chance at a national title after they dropped 10 stops. They did, he just failed to mention that Oregon lost late in the season to USC. He also failed to mention that the reason Arky moved up to #3 was because OKST lost to Iowa St.

The SEC has teams that are very bad (Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy) but our top teams don't lose at the end of the season to end their National Championship hopes, in the last 6 years.

Your logic is typical..and wrong

Aug 15, 2012, 4:43 PM

Even if Oregon wins out, there is no way they pass Alabama. That is the entire point of the "advantage" that the SEC gets. If Oregon drops below them in the polls, there is no way for them to recover. Even though Alabama lost LATER in the year.

Your arguement falls apart completely, but I'm sure that won't matter to you. Just go ahead and avoid the facts and change the arguement.

Re: Your logic is typical..and wrong

Aug 15, 2012, 4:55 PM

Alabama lost to LSU on 11/5

Oregon lost to USC on 11/19

When Alabama lost both teams had 1 lost. Alabama lost to by 3 in OT, Oregon lost by 17 to the same team. Without conference affiliation, I think voters would still consider Alabama the better team. Also, Oregon would have still been in the NC hunt, but they lost their 2ND game. That put them out of the NC contention.

How am I wrong by stating that what makes the SEC's top teams better is that they don't lose at the end of the season.

There was only 1 undefeated team last season, LSU. Do they not deserve to be in the national championship? The last 3 national championships cannot be disputed. The one where LSU and UF won with 2 loses are the reasons why people want to go to a playoff. (But those SEC teams still won)

I'll say it slow try and follow...

Aug 15, 2012, 8:45 PM

Oregon loses first game to LSU on a neutral field. They drop 10 spots. At this point Alabama is ahead of them. Alabama then loses to LSU and drops ONE spot. So at this point if they both win out, Alabama is still ranked ahead of them. The loss to USC meant nothing.

Please explain how that makes any sense. Nevermind...I am asking for you to have common sense in order to make sense...I ask too much.

Re: Your logic is typical..and wrong

Aug 15, 2012, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Your logic is typical..and wrong ]

Also, the entire article is about how ESPN gives the SEC an advantage. How? In what BCS poll is ESPN top 25 used? None.

The BCS is based on computers(which is why they moved to a playoff), the coaches poll and the Harris poll. The is no sign of the ESPN top 25 poll.

I would hope that the people who actually do the voting for these polls do not take ESPN's words that the SEC is the greatest (again ESPN words). I would hope that they are actually watch some of the games to make a decision.
Also, BCS standings come out around the 6 week of the season, when it is clear which teams should be in the top 25, 10, 5, etc. How are preseason polls an advantage? Players need to play, coaches need to coach, and teams need to win. Where is the advantage coming from when the past 3 national champions won every single game?

OUR??? How many teams do you have? Parasitic Pud!!***

Aug 15, 2012, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: The scenario he uses with Oregon losing to LSU and dropping. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OUR??? How many teams do you have? Parasitic Pud!!***

Aug 15, 2012, 5:31 PM

How is my grammar wrong. The article is referring to the SEC as a whole. As an SEC fan, I am trying to defend the conference.

Maybe this is the reason why the SEC is better then the ACC. Our fan (yes our as in the SEC), root for one another, respect the other team (and fans). It seems like Clemson only cares about Clemson (didn't your mommy ever tell you that sharing is caring)

Aug 15, 2012, 6:30 PM

If you think for one second that other teams fans root for you, then you would be lying to yourself. Ask any Bama or LSU fan if they root for you, and it will be a solid no. The whole "root for one another" crap is just something that teams like USCjr do because they don't have anything to show for themselves. So, naturally, they just assume that if an SEC team wins a Nat. Champ, then everyone in the conference earned it. Only the teams that can't hang cheer for other conference foes, or in your case, "friends".

Basically, you coots get all exited because a conference member(s), that may or may not have deserved to be in the championship game in the first place, wins. Then you proceed with your "#1 conference, WE DA BEST" cheers, while the rest of college football silently laughs at your stupidity.

And, oh, one last thing--your fans are first-class jerks to other teams. Just sayin'.

Aug 15, 2012, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Re: OUR??? How many teams do you have? Parasitic Pud!!*** ]

If you think all SEC fans pull for each other you are either extremely naive or never been to a game in Athens Ga. !!

07 Lsu did lose late in season and put their fate in the

Aug 15, 2012, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: The scenario he uses with Oregon losing to LSU and dropping. ]

Hands of 2 teams Ned it to lose in the last week to sneak back in

Aug 15, 2012, 4:42 PM

And consider this. ESPN is the golden shrine for which all sports media mavens wish to work... for big money. So, if an aspiring gridiron pundit does not toe the ESPN company line... his ESecPN employment opportunities are logically drastically reduced.

Think that effects votes any?

The West is, the East is just there to get beat down***

Aug 15, 2012, 5:12 PM

Aug 15, 2012, 5:26 PM

as a conference it is that good. i dont think any clemson fan, myself included would not leave the acc to be in the sec in a heartbeat. but soon some team other than an sec team will win the nc, then we can have this discussion. just beat them and them talk junk.

Oct 1, 2012, 1:16 PM

The SEC has holes in the conference. But they all do. But they are the big boys in the NCAA as for football. The Big 10 ain't far behind.

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic