Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Memories of Jim Phillips
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1,069

Memories of Jim Phillips

Apr 16, 2019, 9:48 PM

I met Jim in 1980 while working at WFBC AM (1330). FM had yet to become King of Radio then - so AM was still "IT" in '80. I did WFBC's evening show - 7p to midnight - & the boss brought Jim by to meet me, tour the place, & I was told Jim would soon start a nightly 2-hour sports show from 7p-9p & I would be his call screener, board-op, etc.

Jim told me to keep the nuts off & the dull questions like, "How do think the Tigers'll do this year?" (6 months from the start of FB season.)

Jim thought I was a great "screener" and we got along very well. For the next 23 years we were good friends & had fun times.

When Jim started calling the AA G'ville Braves games (he was a BIG baseball fan) he'd often say, "Come on by the game tonight & we'll have some fun on the air. Bring another announcer or 2 & we'll cut up a while." We'd drop by a Braves game & have great time. Did it often.

Later in the '80s, I moved to Richmond & then Jax, FL. In Richmond, Jim would sometimes come up & we'd catch the AAA R-Braves there. After moving to Jax, I'd join him for the broadcast when G-ville was in town.

While in Richmond in '84, I called Jim at the team hotel & asked if he had an extra ticket for the CU/Cavs FB game @ UVA. Game day, I went to the hotel & Jim gave me a press box pass. Saw the Tigers blow out UVA 55-0!

I was back in G-ville in the '90s (another company) & Jim was there too. I said, "We oughta catch the World Series in Atlanta." Jim (a lifelong Indians fan) said, "You wanna go? I can get us tickets!" So we did & 4 of us saw the Braves take the 1st 2 games - then the 6th (and the '95 Series 4-to-2). Bit of a downer for Jim.

Jim loved all sports, but LOVED baseball! Great stories...like the time he was with the Tigers at a hotel. The elevator opened & Johnny Bench walked out. Jim was a big Bench fan, told him that & introduced himself. Jim said Bench's response was - - "...Huh..like I give a F..." Jim was no longer a Bench fan.

Another time, Jim was having a brew or 2 late in a hotel bar. He looked over - this guy was alone at a table. Jim thought, "That looks like Ted Williams!" Ted was not known for being nice to fans, but Jim gave it a whirl. Ted wound up asking Phillips to join him, & the 2 talked baseball for a couple of hours!

One more - through Jim, I got to know SoCar's longtime "voice" Bob Fulton. Bob & Jim we're great friends for decades. The late Bob F. was a real gentleman. Getting together with those 2 was a hoot! Talk about great stories - those guys had a million.

OK - 1 more quickie on Jim. He drove us from the hotel to the W.Series (he had a special VIP press parking pass). He'd drive up to 1 of the main entrances & let us out - then park. One game, the squeegee guys were out in force cleaning windshields. Jim rolled down the window & snapped, "Don't do it! Don't want my w.shield cleaned!" The guy kept on anyway. Jim pulled out a .38 from his glovebox, pointed it at the guy & said, "I SAID DON'T CLEAN IT!!" The guy moved on - quick!

Sorry for the length, but was thinking about old Jim & how lucky I was to have known him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great stories

Apr 16, 2019, 9:51 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1,069
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic