Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are there any up tempo / full court press teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,045

Are there any up tempo / full court press teams

Feb 20, 2019, 12:09 PM

right now in the college ranks ?

Like Purnell ran at Clemson ??

Not sure why Clemson abandoned this philosophy ... even if the Tigers lost, it was entertaining.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good qeustion - i was wondering the same. Seems like

Feb 20, 2019, 12:13 PM

a team that presses (assuming the personnel to do so) would be very effective in today's game. I know we don't have the personnel and that's never been Brownell's style.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: good qeustion - i was wondering the same. Seems like

Feb 20, 2019, 12:30 PM

Plenty of them. Good teams and coaches from mid major ranks play that style. Just have to explore and look.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did we abandon it? The coach that ran it left.***

Feb 20, 2019, 12:17 PM

We could've hired another coach that ran a similar system

Feb 20, 2019, 12:32 PM

Instead we hired the complete polar opposite.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

We could have, but that arbitrarily narrows down the pool

Feb 20, 2019, 12:54 PM

of potential candidates by a tremendous amount because very few coaches run that system. Sure you can argue that we didn't make a homerun hire this way either, but i still think it's foolish to narrow down potential coaching candidates. The goal is always just to hire a good coach. And that's often not an easy thing to do so why make it even more difficult?

I'm not saying we should have hired a coach who runs the

Feb 20, 2019, 1:03 PM

same system, just saying Clemson had that option.

I think hiring Brownell was a good decision. And honestly, in light of so many coaches being called out during the whole Adidas scandal and FBI investigations, I think CBB was a great fit for the school. He's honest and straight forward, his guys graduate and there are never off the court issues.

Losing is no fun, but our coach will never embarrass the university.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Loved that system, so enjoyable to watch***

Feb 20, 2019, 12:19 PM

Re: Are there any up tempo / full court press teams

Feb 20, 2019, 12:24 PM

Two of the OP coaching tree:

Shaka Smart (Texas) at 15-11 (and that is in the Kansas Basketball League)
Mike Morrell (UNC Asheville) 4-22 (first season, so some break is needed)

Why did we abandon it? It is like CPJ's flexbone. It works for a while, then the teams with the better athletes figure it out and issue beatdowns. Keep in mind that OP's last two years were on a downhill side of his peak and completely dependent on Trevor Booker (NBA talent that was only offered from us and Wofford).

^^^CRUMP!!! Delete this post comparing the full court press

Feb 20, 2019, 12:27 PM

to the triple option now!

It's kind of like the triple option in football

Feb 20, 2019, 12:26 PM

because it gives teams with lesser talent the ability to compete with better teams. It may not win national championships, but if you run that system really well, you'll win games.

That's exactly what we need though

Feb 20, 2019, 12:42 PM

We will never be able to recruit with the likes of Duke and UNC. Organized chaos was a good equalizer in that regard. High risk/high reward.

I don't disagree. Plus it was incredibly fun to watch.***

Feb 20, 2019, 12:43 PM

Re: It's kind of like the triple option in football

Feb 20, 2019, 2:50 PM [ in reply to It's kind of like the triple option in football ]

Great minds...

Re: Are there any up tempo / full court press teams

Feb 20, 2019, 12:29 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed watching OP’s teams play. Call it a gimmick, but it was an equalizer to schools like ours who can’t recruit on the same level as the bluebloods.

Anderson at Arkansas ran it for a while

Feb 20, 2019, 12:31 PM

but had to dial it back. Still run it some

I think there is a happy medium that works well

Feb 20, 2019, 12:46 PM

kind of like a Pitino style of defense.

I would never want or advocate for Pitino as a coach, but his style on defense works really well at the college level.

Not enough depth to run that now.***

Feb 20, 2019, 1:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,045
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic