Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney ranked 4th most powerful CFB coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney ranked 4th most powerful CFB coach

Dec 22, 2014, 3:28 PM

Swinney ranked 4th most powerful CFB coach

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's terrible that they asked recruits' mothers

Dec 22, 2014, 3:38 PM

which guys were the most powerful. I'm glad our guy goes skrong though.

Slurrier nowhere to be seen on that list...***

Dec 22, 2014, 4:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya but he has an 80 foot poster on Billy Brice

Dec 24, 2014, 9:47 AM

That has to count for something.

That buyout is embarrassing***

Dec 22, 2014, 5:26 PM

Only if you have no faith in Dabo Swinney***

Dec 22, 2014, 8:10 PM

It's about business, not faith. Lopsided buyout=one way risk

Dec 22, 2014, 8:56 PM

The buyout is foolishly lopsided such that Dabo can easily afford to leave anytime a big football school comes calling, but Clemson can't afford to fire Dabo until about 2020 regardless of Dabo's performance. Such a lopsided buyout imposes horrible risk & liability on Clemson, while Dabo incurs none. And the buyout was completely unnecessary. It's not like Dabo was going somewhere if the buyout had been reciprocal at Dabo's buyout price.

That's the kind of lazy, foolish contract negotiation you do when you're playing with other people's money. If D-Rad owned a team, and it was his family's money, I'll bet he wouldn't have negotiated such a deal.

Buyout if the university terminates without cause
2014: $24 million
2015: $20.7 million
2016: $17.2 million
2017: $10.3 million
2018: $7.7 million
2019: $4 million
2020: $2 million

Buyout if Swinney leaves
2014: $5 million
2015: $5 million
2016: $5 million
2017: $3 million
2018: $2.5 million
2019: $1 million
2020: $500,000

It could be a good thing. If it allows Dabo to take some

Dec 22, 2014, 10:06 PM

Risks that he might not have taken absent the contract like giving Scott and Elliott a fair chance to develop. I'm not sure Dabo takes that gamble if he has a shaky contract. It gives coach a chance to take a gamble. I think he earned that right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By that logic, why not grant a $100M buyout & MORE freedom?

Dec 23, 2014, 2:20 PM

Even if you think it's a good idea for Dabo to take the risk of giving SCelliOTT on-the-job OC training, it's not like Dabo wouldn't have done so if his buyout was $5M or $10M instead of $24M.

And Dabo was able to pick a good OC (Morris) without any huge buyout, so obviously it's not needed.

And even if you think a $24M buyout is reasonable, then why not make it reciprocal rather than making it one-sided so that Dabo can easily leave anytime a big football school comes calling?

Re: It's about business, not faith. Lopsided buyout=one way risk

Dec 23, 2014, 8:25 AM [ in reply to It's about business, not faith. Lopsided buyout=one way risk ]

Razz, get over it. Clemson is never going to let you pick the football coach

Now that's cutting to the chase... even if it's years late.***

Dec 23, 2014, 8:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Irrelevant. Apparently you didn't comprehend what I wrote.

Dec 23, 2014, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: It's about business, not faith. Lopsided buyout=one way risk ]

How old are you? Did you graduate from Clemson?

So it's power relative to the university, not power relative

Dec 23, 2014, 1:17 PM [ in reply to It's about business, not faith. Lopsided buyout=one way risk ]

to the rest of the college football world. Forbes must be working on a "how to negotiate a contract" series rather than a "how to be powerful in your field" series.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's essentially guaranteed the full value of his contract

Dec 24, 2014, 10:03 AM [ in reply to It's about business, not faith. Lopsided buyout=one way risk ]

if terminated which is actually common now. Saban, Stoops, Sumlin, and probably many others have gotten the same buyout structure recently. Also, the base salary is very reasonable given Dabo's performance so far as HC, and the coaches buyout for leaving is always a lot smaller (some don't even have a buyout and can leave for free).

The issue i guess is whether or not you feel he should've gotten an 8 year deal. Or perhaps you feel Dabo just doesn't deserve to be able to negotiate as a top 20 coach and we should've forced him into something with a lower buyout? I still think this boils down to your perception of Dabo Swinney. You probably expect him to lose and be fired within 2-3 seasons don't you?

Re: He's essentially guaranteed the full value of his contract

Dec 24, 2014, 12:44 PM

Saban and Stoops have national title rings, multiple conference titles, are in the top ten year after year. Dabo has potential. He doesn't deserve to have the same buyout as Saban or Stoops IMO until he wins a national title. He's a great salesman after all, so I'm sure that helped him negotiate that contract

no, he's earned every bit of it and is not only paid for

Dec 24, 2014, 12:57 PM

what happens on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no, he's earned every bit of it and is not only paid for

Dec 24, 2014, 1:15 PM

He's a college football coach. They're number one priority is to win football games. He would not be around if he went 0-12 with a good graduation rate. He's supposed to run a clean program. Nobody gets a pay raise for obeying an ethics policy at work alone.

good, he's top 10 wins the 3 years prior to that

Dec 24, 2014, 1:44 PM

contract with a bcs, conference title & national coach of the year award; finalist again this year and has been in others. he received top 20ish money, no more, no less which he richly deserved. this year's seniors will graduate with most the wins ever?

the clemson bot/president approved the contract so i'll allow them to break any ties since it does matter to them as their concern is the university first & only; whether you appreciate that or not is absolutely your choice.

he's done it the right way. he's built it for the long haul with a shared vision and commitment from leadership. the university continues to invest in both short & long terms with continued capex improvements plus additional, promised staff, which is equally as important and maybe more "taxing".

the guy down the road in columbia is making $4mil/, dabo made $3.15ish in 2014? all things considered, i'd say clemson is way ahead of the game.

he's not perfect nor is any situation and i understand many of the concerns[probably agree with some], but the contract is no where near the "issue" some continue to make it.

shrug.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saban was also making twice as much as Dabo and his

Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: He's essentially guaranteed the full value of his contract ]

buyout when he signed his last extension was in excess of 40 million dollars. I said the construct was structured similarly - not that they were receiving anywhere near equal compensation.

It is irrelevant. Dabo will retire at Clemson.***

Dec 22, 2014, 10:20 PM [ in reply to That buyout is embarrassing*** ]

Re: FB Update: Swinney ranked 4th most powerful CFB coach

Dec 22, 2014, 5:33 PM

Glad Dabo is finally being recognized for the coach he is.
What was disturbing to me was the amount of money Alabama and LSU spend on football. Is anyone going to be able to truly compete with Bama year end and year out with that amount of disparity in spending?

Anyone else notice this article is 2 years old?***

Dec 22, 2014, 6:39 PM

Sorry. Google gave a 2 year old article. Either way, both us

Dec 22, 2014, 6:45 PM

and scar are REALLY hitching our horses to one wagon. Only difference is our wagon is 20+ yrs younger. I like our position better than theirs right now.

Re: Sorry. Google gave a 2 year old article. Either way, both us

Dec 22, 2014, 6:51 PM

There's a bunch of difference in their wagon and ours, and there always has been. It's just going to get wider and wider in our favor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone else notice this article is 2 years old?***

Dec 22, 2014, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Anyone else notice this article is 2 years old?*** ]

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45ekggk/4-dabo-swinney/

This list is the 2014 list and Dabo is #4.

our bowl pits #3 vs #4

Dec 23, 2014, 8:31 AM

Spin that media

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Congrats Dabo!

Dec 22, 2014, 5:39 PM

Based on your leadership abilities thus far, and the graduation rate of our student athletes, you deserve this honor. Not to mention you lead a squeaky clean program, don't put up with ####, and want to win more than all of the Clemson fans combined. It is about time you receive the recognition that you deserve. I could not be happier with you being the coach for a few more years, then Alabama, look out when Saban retires.

Re: Congrats Dabo!

Dec 22, 2014, 6:24 PM

Although Clemson does it about as good as you can, no program is squeaky clean. Our current #2 came with a price-not that I will ever complain because I am all for getting them however you can.

Re: Congrats Dabo!

Dec 22, 2014, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Congrats Dabo! ]

Agreed 4475.

Swinney is the man

Dec 22, 2014, 8:30 PM

this is actually good stuff, despite the source..

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"QUAD SQUAD" Clemson Tigers are coming!!!!***

Dec 22, 2014, 10:39 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Dabo is safe next year even if we go 0-12.***

Dec 22, 2014, 11:34 PM

Can someone explain to me why this is a good thing?

Dec 23, 2014, 9:51 AM

Whom do you guys think Dabo has power over?

The way I read it, CDS has power over the university.

Dec 23, 2014, 2:12 PM

It seems to be an article more about success at contract negotiation rather than success in your career field.

Behind that smile and good ole boy exterior Like Donald

Dec 23, 2014, 1:21 PM

Trump with nicer hair and eyebrows. Who would have thunk it

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic