Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hardest thing I ever had to do
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Hardest thing I ever had to do

Oct 25, 2018, 2:57 PM
IMG_2479.JPG(222.8 K)

Will try and be short. Buried my granddaughters dog today, her 1st 'all hers' pup. She came home from a show last year and proudly showed me 'her' new dog, a 3 month old pup. I cringed as it was bird dog/pit mixed and I loath Pit Bulls. I questioned her and she said it followed her around the show all day and when she loaded her horse it jumped into the trailer. Became a year long joke as I would say "yep, she jumped into the trailer cause you were standing there with a cookie saying "come on girl". She found it by the road yesterday when coming home from school. Never saw her so sad. Time will heal. Thanks for the vent, had to get it off my mind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Hardest thing I ever had to do

Oct 25, 2018, 3:03 PM

That’s awful. I’m sure that good boy or good girl had an amazing life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oct 26, 2018, 8:19 PM

While we disagree on which team to pull for, you seem like a great guy. Your handle Classof09 is appropriate, you’re the classiest fan to wear garnet and black.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 3:10 PM

That’s never easy. Wait until she loses a horse. Been there, done that one too many times, as well. Daughter is a freshman at Clemson and 4 weeks ago we had to put down one of the herd. He was 33. Pets are hard, but so very worth it.

Oct 26, 2018, 8:02 PM

I hard a horse that I had from a 2 year old, and she died at 26 years old, and it has been proven through the years that a mother, brother, and a sister has died in my life time, and none of them hurt me any more than I was hurt over Hopper dying. All 4 of those deaths were about the same as far as how I grieved over losing all of them. I also feel that it will be about the same when my Rott dies, heck, he has been just like a kid to me, and I love him as my kid. Pets has their special ways of getting next to your soul!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2018, 8:12 PM

I hard a horse that I had from a 2 year old, and she died at 26 years old, and it has been proven through the years that a mother, brother, and a sister has died in my life time, and none of them hurt me any more than I was hurt over Hopper dying. All 4 of those deaths were about the same as far as how I grieved over losing all of them. I also feel that it will be about the same when my Rott dies, heck, he has been just like a kid to me, and I love him as my kid. Pets has their special ways of getting next to your soul!!!

I think it’s so tough with animals like dogs and horses because we put so much time into them and the connection formed runs so deep.
When they leave us, they take a piece of us with them. If we really do get to meet up with them again, I’m going to have one hell of a feed bill.

Oct 26, 2018, 8:38 PM

A feed bill that I would be glad to pay even if took every cent that I had!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2018, 8:49 PM

A feed bill that I would be glad to pay even if took every cent that I had!!!

Absolutely agree

Oct 26, 2018, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Hardest thing I ever had to do ]

I also feel that it will be about the same when my Rott dies, heck, he has been just like a kid to me, and I love him as my kid. Pets has their special ways of getting next to your soul!!!

And for what it’s worth, I’ve buried 6 rotts over the past 25 years, so I understand that statement.

Oct 25, 2018, 3:14 PM

When I read the topic , I was afraid that is what you were going to say. I hate hearing about pets dying. Makes me sad. I'm more of a animal person than people person.
Me and my wife have had our dog almost 11 years. We dread when that day comes. So sorry for the loss.

Oct 25, 2018, 3:23 PM

don't consider myself a wimp,but when it comes to losing a family member(yes.we treat our dogs and cats as family)my backbone becomes linguine.so very sad,but time does heal,and while you never forget the lost pet,a new pet starts another chapter and helps fill the void.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The only times I have seen my Dad cry ...

Oct 25, 2018, 4:13 PM

When his Mother passed away and when family dogs have died.

Losing animals are so difficult because of their unassuming, unconditional love.

Prayers for you and your granddaughter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Oct 25, 2018, 4:43 PM

The most consoling thing I ever read about losing a beloved dog or pet was along these lines:

With almost everything else you have in life, you pay the cost initially and know its value to you in the beginning. A dog however, often comes free in the beginning as in this case and no cost is paid up front. Throughout the portions of your lives that you share together you enjoy the benefits. But in the end, that emotional bill comes due. And it is at that time that you pay it all in full.

There's a german shorthaired pointer still running through my mind that ran up a helluva debt several years ago.

My sympathies and condolences on your loss.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had a Golden for 11 years

Oct 25, 2018, 7:24 PM

Best dang dog a person could ever have an smart as a whip. Noticed he was not himself and passed it off as being tired from swimming all day,couple days past and not better so off to the vet. He was in end stage kidney cancer and was not gonna make it for much longer. Asked the vet if he was in pain, he said not horrible but it was coming.

Asked him if it would be okay to take him to take him for one last hike up to the lake and a last day of swimming, he said as long as he is willing it would be okay. He said then we need to discuss putting him down. Next day we did our thing at the lake , feed him his favorites and made arraignments to have him put to sleep.

Hardest thing I ever done so far was holding that dog and petting him as the drugs took effect. I knew it already and the vet did not have to tell me but dogs get scared at the end unless their person is with them.It was good that he went peacefully and I hope comforted but it was something I do not want to go through again.

Re: Had a Golden for 11 years

Oct 25, 2018, 9:26 PM

when the time came for our last dog,max the wonder dog,a welsh terrier,to leave us,i couldn't bear to see him pass away.i sat in the parking lot at the vet's and waited while my wife stayed with him to the end.we both couldn't talk on the way home,and it still affects me to this day.we have another wt now who's 9,and I dred going to the vet again.however,we are also currently waiting for an airedale pup,so maybe it'll be a bit easier this time.(just an aside-our first dog,also an Airedale named otis,came from n.augusta in 1974.one of the best dogs ever.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 25, 2018, 4:47 PM

My family has loved and lost many special dogs. To this day, we always get another. in fact currently and in the past we have had 3 dogs at one time. I always say, you never replace your special dog, but you can always love another. So sorry to hear about the loss of your granddaughter's special dog. I know her heart hurts.

Dogs are the greatest non-human companion you can have imo

Oct 25, 2018, 5:35 PM

It is really hard to see one go, even after just a year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Had to put down a golden retriever we'd

Oct 25, 2018, 5:50 PM

had (really...lived with) for 11 years a coupe of years ago. She saw me and the Boss through some serious medical issues. I, particularly relied heavily on her during some crappy medical treatments. She was the best dog I ever had.

Don't mind saying when the vet (who'd known her her entire life) told me in her opinion, it was best to put my old pup out of the misery cancer had suddenly and unexpectedly forced on her, I bawled like a baby. There's a shrine to her on our mantle. I think of her every day.

But now, I have a year and a half-old goldie who demands a lot of attention and love....and is worth it

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Had to put down a golden retriever we'd

Oct 26, 2018, 9:12 PM

So sorry bc I know how we can love them. There is something about our dogs that draw us so close to them. You can leave them for 30 minutes, and they act as you have been gone for days when you come back in the house. Their love for us is unconditional and I know that is a fact!!!

golden love

Oct 27, 2018, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Had to put down a golden retriever we'd ]

this is our house these days...11, 5, 5 months... and a house full of hair

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/jwd1113/media/supper_zps7tzku8wq.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

Brought a tear to my eye.

Oct 25, 2018, 5:56 PM

And reminded me of a not-too-intelligent cocker spaniel that we had that our daughter found after it had been run over. It was a very difficult time for the family as with all the dogs we've lost over the years. Condolences to you and our granddaughter and hopes that she finds another one soon to fill the hole in her heart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Oct 25, 2018, 6:05 PM

That’s sad but if that’s the hardest thing you’ve ever had to do you have lived a pretty good life

Oct 25, 2018, 6:08 PM

So sorry to hear it. They’re our family too.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 1974 when I was a sophomore...... .

Oct 25, 2018, 6:22 PM

and living in Johnstone my father called me one day. He told me he had had to take my black Lab to the vet that morning to be put down.

He might as well of told he had one of my brothers put down. That hit me like a ton of bricks because I had my dog since I was 10 years ago.

Oct 25, 2018, 8:00 PM

Sorry to hear that!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2018, 8:32 PM

So sorry to hear. I'm allergic to cats, so we are dog people. We even help our neighbor with her dog rescue organization. I've helped her take two of her dogs to be put to sleep. We've often said it's the best, hardest decision you can make.

Hardest thing I have ever done is bury

Oct 25, 2018, 9:29 PM

my 24 year old son 2 years ago. He became sick 2 days after his 24th birthday on Oct 15th and passed on Nov 7th. The last game he saw and were together was the NC State game 2 years ago on his birthday. He was married only 10 1/2 months to the love of his life....the only girl he ever dated. This is a difficult time of year and I miss them both so very much!

Re: Hardest thing I have ever done is bury

Oct 25, 2018, 9:43 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss??
Seems like life takes unexplainable turns at unexpected times; sometimes good, often times tragic. But, that’s life.
I lost a stepbrother to a car accident. He was just 15 years old. He was a passenger in his friend’s car. I was teaching my stepbrother to drive at the time. It was the hardest funeral I have ever had to attend.
That was 37 years ago.

Message was edited by: vance1059®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2018, 9:06 PM [ in reply to Hardest thing I have ever done is bury ]

I am so sorry for the loss of your child. That’s a pain I cannot imagine. Prayers and peace for you

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 26, 2018, 9:29 PM

Thank you for your thoughtful words! I lost a 15 yr old golden retriever, but I don’t think there is anything like losing a child. Our son had to work much harder than most to be a 2015 Clemson graduate in Construction Science Mgmt. He was to take over my dad’s company. He and his beautiful wife seemed made for each other. It is like losing a daughter also. My peace and comfort come in knowing we will see him again one day with Jesus, but the pain and loss is with me everyday!

Oct 26, 2018, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Hardest thing I have ever done is bury ]

I'm so sorry for your loss. There is nothing worse for a parent. Prayers for you and your family.

Oct 25, 2018, 9:37 PM

So sorry for your loss.

Oct 26, 2018, 8:11 AM

Sorry to hear. Hopefully another "pup" will come along soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2018, 8:26 AM

She probably has some guilt too. My dog got hit by a car and died a while back. I feel like I let him down not keeping him out of danger. Anyway, sorry for yours and your daughter's loss.

Our big black lab passed in August

Oct 26, 2018, 10:09 AM

I'm still crying.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2018, 8:13 PM

As you said, time will heal. Loosing a dog hurts, but not having one hurts more. I hope she gets another, not to replace her first, but to join it in the great pantheon of her dogs. They are truly better than most people. I love mine.

Oct 26, 2018, 9:12 PM

I had to put my black shepherd/husky down one year ago. It broke my heart and I felt like she took a little piece of my heart with her. I have had many dogs over the years, but every once in a while there is just this special one. I cried and asked why couldn’t dogs live as long as us and I was told that there are so many dogs that need to be loved and to think of all of the dogs we have loved after our pet has died. I still have no old lab and have rescued two others. None of them took Princess’ place but I love them the same. A little after her pain has passed, get her another pup to love again

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic