Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who remembers the Tommy west years?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 78
| visibility 1

Who remembers the Tommy west years?

Feb 2, 2017, 3:09 PM

Spring game was situational with the offense against the defense, we didn't have enough players to field two teams. The fear of the FSU game being a blow out. West telling us that they were gonna throw to the TE more, but didn't. A pathetic as it sounds that was suppose to get us excited for the season. Loosing to Virginia for the first time ever in death valley. Loosing to a horrible Missouri team and then there was the cuse. McNabb killed us and our offense couldn't gain a yard with a pick-up. We are lightyears from then. The good ole days are now.
GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The first game I remember going to as a kid

Feb 2, 2017, 3:10 PM

was Bowden's 1st game. The 13-10 home loss to Marshall, which was actually considered a positive game for Clemson

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The first game I remember going to as a kid

Feb 2, 2017, 3:16 PM

I remember that game well. Was standing by Bowden when he brought that game up. A man in the group said " we'll win that game!" Bowden said " yeah? Famous last words." and he was right.
GO TIGERS!

Lord I'm old, but my seats that year

Feb 2, 2017, 10:21 PM

were in the North upper deck, right on the vertical of the "T." As I was walking through the portal, there was a marshall fan in front of me. When she got to the point that she could see into the stadium, she stopped and said "Oh my God! This is big!"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember that stupid penalty that basically gave Marshall

Feb 2, 2017, 3:19 PM [ in reply to The first game I remember going to as a kid ]

a TD before the game even started. I'm still ticked about that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

I remember Marshall's great QB beating us almost singlehand

Feb 2, 2017, 9:27 PM

Pennington (?) went on and played NFL for a few years...

Feb 2, 2017, 8:41 PM [ in reply to The first game I remember going to as a kid ]

Yes,Chad Pennington lead Marshall to a game winning drive that night.3 teams went unbeaten that year (FSU,Virginia Tech, and Marshall)we played all 3.FSU eventually beat Virginia Tech in the title game.

Feb 2, 2017, 9:21 PM [ in reply to The first game I remember going to as a kid ]

I stood on the hill for that one. I could have nearly reached out and caught Marshall's game winning field goal. This program has moved mountains since then. Proud to be a tiger.

Tommy West's first year was my freshman year

Feb 2, 2017, 3:13 PM

Yeah, fun times.

True on all this but losing to a 2-9 WF team in a half-

Feb 2, 2017, 3:15 PM

filled Death Valley on a grey rainy day in 1993 was the bottom for me. Hatfield's last stand.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True on all this but the losing to a 2-9 WF team in a half-

Feb 2, 2017, 3:18 PM

Yeah that was bad. Our offense looked like a high school offense.
GO TIGERS!

I was a student in 93.

Feb 2, 2017, 4:38 PM [ in reply to True on all this but losing to a 2-9 WF team in a half- ]

I agree that was about the low point. That Wake game snapped a long attendance streak for me. I was in Clemson that day, but simply couldn't bring myself to go to the game. Somewhat ashamed to admit, but that's how bad it was!

Fast forward a couple decades and all is well. I'm decorating my home and office with great memorabilia form Glendale and Tampa!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was a student in 93.

Feb 2, 2017, 5:27 PM

Gator Bowl was a Christmas / Graduation gift!! NcNabb !! Need I say more??

I drove 6 hours by myself to watch that game

Feb 2, 2017, 7:46 PM [ in reply to True on all this but losing to a 2-9 WF team in a half- ]

nobody would ride with me

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True on all this but losing to a 2-9 WF team in a half-

Feb 2, 2017, 11:44 PM [ in reply to True on all this but losing to a 2-9 WF team in a half- ]

I remember Richard Moncrief scored and was so busy celebrating we had to call a time out just to be able to go for the extra point.

Those were bad, but not as bad as the time I was there.

Feb 2, 2017, 3:18 PM

1973 5-6 Red Parkers first year.
1974 7-4 Red Parkers "Undefeated Home Season", 1-4 on the road.
1975 2-9 Got blasted 56-20 in Cootlumbia
1976 3-6-2 It was pretty much bad from beginning to end. I think Dook was homecoming, tied 18-18.

No one has more appreciation for where we are now than a Tiger of my vintage.

Re: Those were bad, but not as bad as the time I was there.

Feb 2, 2017, 3:23 PM

I remember these ears too, and I went to Alabama in 1975...56-0...it was worse than the beating we gave the cluckers this year...56-20.....horrible....we looked so good in 1974, and I think we were projected to win the ACC in 75...he did kill USC his final game, 28-9 and we were all afraid he might stay...to an earlier post, I think Hatfield had the distinction of losing the first game to the Cavs...not too sure about that though

Feb 2, 2017, 3:35 PM

I looked it up. The Virginia game was 1994 and west took over at Clemson in 1993 . I remember talking to one of the players( not gonna name him because he's on the staff) but he told me the players lost faith in coach west. Bowden came and spring drills were totally different. Looked like college ball again.
GO TIGERS!

Feb 2, 2017, 5:58 PM

First loss to UVa was 1990, so that indignity was courtesy of Hatfield, not West.

Feb 2, 2017, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Those were bad, but not as bad as the time I was there. ]

I become a tiger fan when I was old enough to care about football. Think I was 9 Charlie Pell was coach. I remember the banners ( give em Hell Pell ) I agree the lean years help make this a lot more special.
GO TIGERS!

Hatfield years would rival mid 70s

Feb 2, 2017, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Those were bad, but not as bad as the time I was there. ]

The primary reason was the expectation. The 80s were by far the best decade to that point in Tiger history. The 1990 team was arguably the most talented to date...10-2 was a disappointment. To go from four consecutive 10-2 years to 5-6 in 2 seasons...ugh!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The worst part was West's offense, or lack therog

Feb 2, 2017, 5:36 PM

Hatfield was bad, but at least he had a system. A dated one, that often was dull and predictable, but there was some focus on what he was trying to do. It was like West came out with a different offense every week, especially in the last couple years, and the players had no clue on how to operate it. One week we were in the I running the option, next week we're in the shotgun spread, then we're playing a db at qb and running sneaks every other play. It was goofy sandlot football with seemingly no organization. And his perpetual look of confusion and frustration wasnt assuring. He was really a terrible hire.

Re: Who remembers the Tommy west years?

Feb 2, 2017, 3:20 PM

I remember him carrying the Peach Bowl trophy onto the floor in Littlejohn during halftime.
Only good memory I can recall. Those times are more like wartime flashbacks.
Thank Goodness for the current times!
Great to be a Tiger!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Loved the guy. He just couldn't coach at a high level.

Feb 2, 2017, 3:29 PM

But at the time, we needed a Clemson guy to get the taste of Hatfield out of our mouths. I still remember hearing him when he was on Jim Rome a couple of years after being let go and Jim was trying to get him to say something bad about getting fired at Clemson and West responded with "If I'd have won some games I'd still be there." Class guy all the way and love the fact that he's willing to fight for his players.

Re: Loved the guy. He just couldn't coach at a high level.

Feb 2, 2017, 3:39 PM

I agree on all accounts. I felt bad for him because he really love Clemson. I wanted him to succeed. But after Loosing to VT? I knew it was over.
GO TIGERS!

Re: He worked for a poor AD, too***

Feb 2, 2017, 3:46 PM

Re: He worked for a poor AD, too***

Feb 2, 2017, 3:51 PM

Very true.
GO TIGERS!

I think the most excited I got was at his first game in the

Feb 2, 2017, 3:42 PM

Peach Bowl. We won at the very end and the whole stadium went bonkers.

Re: I think the most excited I got was at his first game in the

Feb 2, 2017, 3:46 PM

Lol the Kentucky game. Had a future DE playing QB. Crap! What was his name?
GO TIGERS!

Patrick Sapp, I think.***

Feb 2, 2017, 3:56 PM

I enrolled in 1968

Feb 2, 2017, 4:09 PM

we posted 8 losing seasons in my first 9 years of paying very close attention as we were coached by Howard,Ingrahm and Parker. That sort of spell will develop character.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember it well...

Feb 2, 2017, 4:29 PM [ in reply to I think the most excited I got was at his first game in the ]

My wife was livin' large and pregnant with our first child who would be born just six days later.

It was a win for Clemson but a lot of the credit for the win goes to Kentucky's Marty Moore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yep, if he would have just taken a knee, ball game

Feb 2, 2017, 6:45 PM

Thank you Mr. Moore!

Yep, I remember being at that game. It was back when

Feb 2, 2017, 9:30 PM [ in reply to I think the most excited I got was at his first game in the ]

the GaDome was relatively new. I think that was my first Clemson bowl game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Feb 2, 2017, 4:20 PM

Graduated in 1996. I remember all of it well.

West always attributed Clemson losing and the other team winning to saying that "they just made a few more plays than us".

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 4:28 PM

What I never figured out was why Hatfield was hated so badly and most of the Hatfield haters gave West a pass. Honestly, can someone splain me that one?

Feb 2, 2017, 6:03 PM

Timing. After the way Lennon/Robinson handled the situation, Vince Lombardi would not have been liked by our fans if he had followed Danny.

Feb 2, 2017, 8:34 PM

Makes sense.

Feb 2, 2017, 4:29 PM

he was a great guy and didn't have the backing to get the job done he brought in some good player like Anthony simmons and beat usc. I can still see emory smith running down the sidelines with gamecocks dragging behind . he left Bowden with a better roster than when he took over.

Feb 2, 2017, 4:32 PM

I lived in Chattanooga at the time West was hired to coach at CLEMSON. He basically had ruined a decent UT-Chattanooga team, and CLEMSON actually wanted to hire that clown???? I was furious. I wanted to scream at someone to let them know how big of a mistake that was going to be. Turns out I was right.

That said - I always liked West as a DC, but NEVER as a HC. When I lived in B'ham AL, he was the DC for UAB. Of course they brought in new coaches after 1-2 years and he was let go. They should have kept him as DC. West seemed to follow me around. I lived in Memphis when he began coaching there. I'm glad he finally quit following me around.

we still have 3 times outs from the 1998 GA Tech game

Feb 2, 2017, 4:36 PM

we could tie game with TD with like 40 seconds left and times runs out before we cross the 50yd line and never used one of our 3 time outs.

That was pretty crazy, it was like he said

Feb 2, 2017, 9:13 PM

"Screw it, let's just lose it so I can get fired" and he did.

Never forget dominating Harris in the bowl game against

Feb 3, 2017, 2:52 AM [ in reply to we still have 3 times outs from the 1998 GA Tech game ]

WVA with one of the best defenses Clemson ever had to go 10-2, Hatfield comes in off a pretty good season (9-2 I think) at Ark (granted, every other team in the SWC was on probation), a being excited about a ground pound coach and our upcoming recruiting class...and the star recruit in his first class is a kicker? W T F? Granted, he turned out to be pretty good (Welch), but when the star of your recruiting haul is a kicker and hardly anyone else in the class gets any press, you're about to hit the downhill slide...and boy did we over the next few years

i was actually having a good day

Feb 2, 2017, 4:39 PM

until this - thanks

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Feb 2, 2017, 5:23 PM

The word is losing, not loosing! Yes, I recall the West era, the Howard era and everything in between. Tiger football was interesting under Coach West.

lol...

Feb 2, 2017, 9:35 PM

"The Wreck of the Old 97" was interesting too...??

Coach West was at the bottom of the mountain after Hatfield had started an avalanche....I still insist the oft-lamented "Hootie Era" was the toughest period for Tiger fans; during the Coach West years most were aware of what had happened under the previous staff and there was some sympatico (although some classless frustration did voice itself during his last home game)....And I still have tremendous respect for the players who got out and busted their rear ends for Clemson regardless of who was coaching

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huuhuuhuuhuuhuuhuuhuuhuuuu (Lerch groan/mumble)***

Feb 2, 2017, 5:23 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 5:52 PM

I member I still have a crappy shirt with a Tommy Hilfiger logo that says Tommy west. Terrible.

I wish I didn't remember them.

Feb 2, 2017, 5:53 PM

As others have said, he was a great guy, but not head coach material.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

NC State home game had 3 straight pass

Feb 2, 2017, 6:07 PM

completions behind the line of scrimmage tackled for losses - 4th and like 20. Never saw calls like that before - only game I ever left early. Too much to bear.

Re: NC State home game had 3 straight pass

Feb 3, 2017, 5:40 AM

The frustration in that time was the worst part. I could watch the game and call the play before the snap. So I knew the other team could.
GO TIGERS!

Feb 2, 2017, 6:34 PM

Me, but I have to say Hatfield is absolute worse hire since Ford

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Brad Brownell reminds me of Tommy West

Feb 2, 2017, 6:43 PM

Both likeable guys, but can't quite get over the hump.

Feb 2, 2017, 7:04 PM

Tough years, but he was and IS a Clemson man. I hope one day we can bring him back into the fold. He loved his alma mater. Hopefully Dabo will look for ways to have both he and Tommy back during these golden years. Sadly Ken Hatfield never fully healed from those tumultuous times after Danny.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 7:11 PM

Tommy West went to Tennessee

He was dubbed a "Clemson guy" because of some

Feb 2, 2017, 9:05 PM

affiliation with Danny, and a bunch of people, including this guy, thought he went to Clemson. It really was just that he wasn't Ken Hatfield.

Sadly I do and learned some from them...

Feb 2, 2017, 8:33 PM

I was actually happy with the West hire initially - solely based on getting rid of hatfield and bringing in one of Danny's own. We all saw how that played out.

Fast forward a few years and I was upset with the hire of Bowden - I didn't want any part of the bowden clan. Some years later he left us a lot better off than when he arrived.

It's hard to know what you are getting with each hire. I supported both West and Bowden but knew they were not the answer. Was glad to see them both gone. Personally questioned whether Dabo was the right coach and we all see how that has turned out. But just like with west and bowden, supported Dabo once he was named Head Coach to lead our Tigers. So dang glad we got him and have him! Always great to be a Tiger but especially here lately!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USuCk would kill for a good Tommy West year....

Feb 2, 2017, 9:10 PM

poor Coots.

98-02... my freshman year was Tommy West's last...

Feb 2, 2017, 9:10 PM

I must say I am jealous of the current student body

Since you brought up Coach West.......

Feb 2, 2017, 9:12 PM

I have been thinking since January 9th about the interview he did with Chris Ard over the Summer. He ended it by saying his impression of the current Tigers was they were still trying to win that big game that he couldn't. Having always liked TW as a good guy, I was shocked by that comment after all of Dabo's huge wins. Tommy, if you're out there, did we get a big enough win now?

I was in school then and had Shaydittle as a bonus

Feb 2, 2017, 9:18 PM

Prize on the basketball court! I think I attended quite a few soccer games with hope of experiencing a win (the ones I remember anyway).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lived them. All 5.***

Feb 2, 2017, 9:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

glad to c you back was worried.***

Feb 2, 2017, 9:50 PM

Sat through "The Whole" Gatorbowl vs Syracuse...

Feb 2, 2017, 9:24 PM

Jaime Trimble said to me, "Oh.. That was you!"

Re: Sat through "The Whole" Gatorbowl vs Syracuse...

Feb 2, 2017, 11:57 PM

Plenty of good Jamie Trimble stories out there. That was the dude that rode all around caus on that motorcycle right?
I think he was the only offensive lineman we've ever had in the modern era that weighed 215 pounds.

Re: Sat through "The Whole" Gatorbowl vs Syracuse...

Feb 3, 2017, 6:34 AM [ in reply to Sat through "The Whole" Gatorbowl vs Syracuse... ]

That gator bowl was painful for weeks. I worked with a tiger hater. He kept bringing it up. It made my stomach sick to think of, we were just so inept.
GO TIGERS!

Nightmare, after one loss, I saw Pres. Barker checking out

Feb 2, 2017, 9:25 PM

pissed off fans after game, West was fired soon thereafter!

Re: Nightmare, after one loss, I saw Pres. Barker checking out

Feb 3, 2017, 12:05 AM

I don't think barker was there during west years. I think Dino Curris was the president. He like Lennon was pleased that football was neutered. Those guys were legitimately happy when clemson lost.

Those that dislike barker don't know what they were talking about. He was the first president in over a decade that actually cared enough about football to be disappointed with losses. After living in over a decade of athletic purgatory, barker was a step in the right direction. He didn't get us there ultimately, but he at least moved us in a positive direction. He set the table so that Clements could help us reach the heights we're reaching now.

I don't think We really healed as a fanbase until Dabo came along, but the coaches, and administration circa 1999-2007 at least stopped the hemorraging,

Feb 2, 2017, 9:45 PM

Unfortunately also remember the Hootie Ingram years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Tommy who?***

Feb 2, 2017, 10:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy West loved Clemson and he did

Feb 2, 2017, 10:38 PM

what he could with what he had to deal with - administration, facilities, etc. I will not bash this man.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2017, 11:22 PM

I remember losing to Wake Forest in the rain at home. I believe I was one of about 20,000 fans still in Death Valley at game's end.

Feb 2, 2017, 11:33 PM

You have heard that saying (in over your head )

Tommy West was lost at sea .

Feb 2, 2017, 11:46 PM

Cool tommy west story. Before there was shotgun willy there was shotgun billy.

I remember when tommy west and his offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger (who oddly enough now is OC at LSU) decided to "open things up" during the spring game one year. Back then they'd let the defense T-off on the QBs in the spring game.

I'll never forget, there was this QB who could throw the football a mile but was dumber than a bag of Hammers. His name was Billy Lucky. You know, he was the QB who would try to rifle in a throw on a simple 5 yard route to a RB who was the wide open safety valve, and when the ball would ricochet 20 yards the kid would flex his muscles or yell at the running back. Just really... Not... Smart. There are tons of great billy lucky stories but I digress.

Anyways, during the spring game our O-lineman were screwing around and billy lucky rolls out, a couple of defensive Lineman and LBs corner lucky in the flat about 5 yards deep until more reinforcements arrive. He's trying to evade, but in rushes 2 huge dudes full speed hoping to knock his block off. You could hear billy lucky yell one word, "Shiiiiit!" Across the entire stadium which had about 800 fans... Then there was the loud crunching of helmets and flesh, and shotgun Billy lucky no longer could throw the ball a country mile. His days as a gunslinger were over. I really felt bad for the kid. That was the beginning of the end for tommy west IYAM. He tried to toughen his kids up to the point of stupidity. Who runs full contact scrimmage with the defense given the green light to destroy the QBs?

Re: always wondered why Luckie could not get

Feb 3, 2017, 12:24 AM

The nod over Greene or frankly Streater

Feb 3, 2017, 6:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Who remembers the Tommy west years? ]

I remember him. He'd throw and people said" now that's a QB!" Streeter took over and never looked back. Billy Lucky, Lucky number 13
GO TIGERS!

Probably our worst football coach since the 70s.

Feb 3, 2017, 12:46 AM

Nice guy who loved Clemson, but was a poor hire. He did the best he could, and actually assembled a really good staff. Just couldn't get it done.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

A Few Good Memories From Then

Feb 3, 2017, 2:14 AM

Raymond Priester was a MONSTER!

Brian Dawkins... I could just stop here. Hall of Famer and just a nightmare.

Anthony Simmons, would would be a star at any era of Tiger football.

Emory Smith slobber-knocked the Coots.

Tony Horne was a bad man.

Trevor Pryce was a freak of nature and a great dude... who happened to end up an NFL pro bowler and Super Bowl Winner.

It was by no means a great era of Clemson football, but I have fond memories. I may be biased, since those were my Clemson days. I loved almost every minute of it.

Re: A Few Good Memories From Then

Feb 3, 2017, 6:45 AM

I agree on all the players. Simmons was good the first play of his freshman. Raymond P was fun to watch. They deserved better.
GO TIGERS!

Replies: 78
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic