Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Virginia Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Virginia Tech

Oct 2, 2017, 1:01 PM

Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Virginia Tech

Clemson capped a historic September with an effort more than enough to take a win out of a tough environment. Grading the Tigers after a closer look at the game. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tight End

Oct 2, 2017, 1:08 PM

We don’t seem to be getting much blocking out of our Tight End. Sure this is being addressed by the coaching staff. Seem to be lean in that spot.

Also, tight End not stretching the field like Leggett sadly***

Oct 2, 2017, 4:41 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all the talent on O, KB being 84% of O is eye-opening

Oct 2, 2017, 1:31 PM

IMHO it says Clemson coaches understood early that VaT could not compete with Clemson Defense. So Offense went into Bama 2016 mode which means just run plays and don't turn it over and let Defense win the game.

It worked. Still I hope coaches are developing passing game, KB accuracy and WR skill sets for Baama and games where these skills will be needed. If KB cannot hit a number of open looks as he could not against VaT, are Tiger WR's keeping their route running and catching skill sets at 100% for when it's needed in a big game? Are ZC or HJ throwing Clemson WR's some balls in practice that are catchable? WR's will need to be ready to ball at some point, but for now this may be a moot point, as Tigers can possibly make playoffs with primarily QB runs. No doubt Dabo, TE, JS and BS are way ahead of this curve and are drawing up the practice and game steps to be ready for the competitive games ahead. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With all the talent on O, KB being 84% of O is eye-opening

Oct 2, 2017, 1:37 PM

Good points. And are the WRs honing their downfield blocking with all the runs by KB and company?

Re: With all the talent on O, KB being 84% of O is eye-opening

Oct 2, 2017, 8:38 PM [ in reply to With all the talent on O, KB being 84% of O is eye-opening ]

Bryant needs a little more touch on some of his deep balls, but Deon Cain needs some MORE stickum on his dern gloves. He has been dropping WAY too many balls

Re: New Story: Second Look: Grading Clemson versus Virginia Tech

Oct 2, 2017, 2:10 PM

No way I would give a B- to special teams. Punt coverage gave up a return to the 2 or whatever. Not one touch back on KO even though coverage was good, and 50% on FG. Special credit for stopping the fake, but everyone watching in my living room was yelling it was a fake.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2017, 3:13 PM

I agree. One of the main reasons the game was so close was because Clemson's special teams were not special. The punting was poor and the kickoffs were weak.

LOL!!! This game was NEVER,"So Close". It was over when

Oct 2, 2017, 8:44 PM

Clelin said,"Tails".

game clips were iPhone footage of tv screen! LOL!***

Oct 2, 2017, 3:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Oct 2, 2017, 3:23 PM

I agree with the assessment overall.

Yet after 5 games it seems our special teams aren't quite getting the message completely. After the BC game it's rather obvious how our punting squad isn't even close to being more than mediocre during actual gameplay. Returns looked only slightly better overall, and of course that's due to variances between teams we've faced. It's just fortunate the defense pinned VT back so many times that we started above the 30 yard line several times.

Some issues which shouldn't have arisen: the 2-in-a-row penalty that pinned unnecessary yardage on the Tigers was something we don't expect to happen. By the fifth start this season such jitters should have been put to rest. And some lackluster performance maintaining blocks or not staying up on your feet for a block are lack of focus issues which these guys I guess must be reminded about. And it is lack of focus of job when you see 2 left tackles standing around as KB goes down due to their forgetting that's the job, keep the block going or route the blocker away from the pocket. We've seen it several times over the last few games and it's not just the speed of a defense issue, it's the failure to remember the position requires being a movable protective wall for the QB.

Oct 2, 2017, 5:30 PM

every punter teams we play can kick the ball to where we cannot return them. looks like we could get a solid punter .

Re: Kicking game needs

Oct 2, 2017, 8:06 PM

a five star punter, a five star kicker. These are weapons that can't be overlooked. Can the current kickers be these weapons? We will see. If not then the recruiting should be the same for these weapons as it is for receiver, running back, QB, Linebacker, Offensive lineman, Defensive lineman, Tight End, Defensive Back, every single position. Every position, every unit needs to know they are the BEST in the land in what they do.

Re: Kicking game needs

Oct 3, 2017, 10:30 AM

Coach D and staff seem to have a pretty firm grip on the recruiting needs for the team. They have been rather good at developing players also so I feel good about my Tigers.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic