Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
frank Martin to Cinn. rumor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 3,135

frank Martin to Cinn. rumor

Apr 11, 2019, 8:13 PM

Cincinnati lost longtime head coach Mick Cronin to UCLA earlier this week. They might end up hiring a bigger name to replace him.

According to Stadium’s Jeff Goodman, South Carolina head coach Frank Martin has emerged as a “key target” for the Bearcats. Martin has spent the last seven seasons in Columbia.

Although South Carolina is coming off a 16-16 campaign preceded by a 17-16 season in 2017-18, Martin has already taken the program to new heights. He led the Gamecocks to their first ever Final Four berth in 2017, taking down Marquette, Duke, Baylor and Florida in the process.

Martin owns a career 246-160 record at South Carolina and Kansas State. He took K-State to four NCAA Tournaments in five seasons, highlighted by an Elite Eight appearance in 2010.

Martin earned Big 12 Coach of the Year honors in 2010 as well.

Jeff Goodman
?
@GoodmanHoops
South Carolina’s Frank Martin has emerged as a key target at Cincinnati, source told @Stadium.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: frank Martin to Cinn. rumor

Apr 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

from the Cinn rivals site:
The Rundown: Though his time was brief, Martin should be fairly familiar with the Queen City. After 15 years as a high school coach in south Florida, Martin spent 2000-04 as an assistant coach at Northeastern before he joined Bob Huggins' staff at Cincinnati. Martin spent the 2004-05 season with Huggins, then stayed on for one more season with interim coach Andy Kennedy. Martin then left for Huggins' staff at Kansas State and took over as head coach when Huggins resigned. Martin has been at South Carolina since 2012, with mixed results: Two seasons under .500, three at our above .500, an NIT birth, then a run to the Final Four in 2017. The latter netted Martin an impressive contract. But he's followed that with 17-16 and 16-16 marks that have him back on the hit seat.

The Skinny: He was a bit of a surprise when he first popped on our radar, but this option has certainly grown some legs over the last 24 hours. Martin has a significant buyout, but given his history at Cincinnati, ability to recruit and his still noteworthy name, he could be worth the risk.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2019, 9:03 PM

Martin has always appeared to be bigger than the SC program.
Part of his mediocre record is the fact that he schedules a rigorous non-con slate (in compensation for how poorly the SEC contributes to his SoS). However, when your team is without 2 or 3 starters due to injury, grades or other early season issues, you really can't afford to lose at Wyoming, at Michigan, then come home and get blown out by UVa and double digits to your in-state rival. Oh, yeah, don't forget the 20-point home loss to Wofford.

I always enjoy his interviews, because he puts blame wherever he thinks it belongs. Sometimes it's on himself, but frequently he will pin it on a player but not in a way that throws him under the bus. He'll say "we gotta do a better job of ----".

Since Clemson has been having recent success against Martin, I'd hate to see him go. I do like his coaching and interview style, too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

too bizarre....thanks for the post, masked***

Apr 11, 2019, 8:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Going anywhere but cOOt U is an upgrade for Martin.***

Apr 12, 2019, 6:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Apr 12, 2019, 10:48 AM

Hate to see that. He brought so much honor...errr... arrests, shootings, pay for play....to Columbia.

Apr 12, 2019, 12:17 PM

Any chance we can pay Martin to stay at The U of SC?

I hope they keep him.

Apr 12, 2019, 12:21 PM

Brownell owns him, and they seem to be fading fast. Maybe the anger driven coaching only works for so long?

Re: I hope they keep him.

Apr 12, 2019, 1:46 PM

Martin stating put...

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1116745395684749313

Maybe Brad will be the next candidate...

Replies: 8
| visibility 3,135
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic