Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
for u youngsters who didnt see "Clemson Defense"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

for u youngsters who didnt see "Clemson Defense"

Dec 30, 2014, 11:14 AM

growing up like us 40 and ups did from 1977 to 1991, welcome.....u just saw it this year for truly the first time since about 1990. For a minute last night I thought that was Chester, Levon, Eddie Mac, Delton Hall out there blasting #####. Warmed my heart. Nothing more lovely than watching Tiger D that looks like a pack of wild dogs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely - I thought the same thing.***

Dec 30, 2014, 11:18 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

since 1990 or so I have felt bad for young fans

Dec 30, 2014, 11:24 AM

Because most of them were wondering what the hell the term "Clemson Defense" meant. You would have flashes with individual players....Anthony Simmons, Keith Adams, Buckner, Dawk, Gaines, Bowers, etc., but now they got to see what "Clemson Defense" looks like as a unit....depth, speed, athletes all over the place, 5 Paws on the ball, open field blasts by CBs who stone folks, Grady blowing up plays off of double teams, and most of all, smelling blood in the water and burying #####.

Re: for u youngsters who didnt see "Clemson Defense"

Dec 30, 2014, 11:24 AM

yep

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson defense in the late 70's to about 1990 was

Dec 30, 2014, 11:25 AM

awesome to watch....Last night was just amazing...the best since the 80's.
This is the best shape this program has been in..EVER.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

totally agree, back then our best athletes were our D

Dec 30, 2014, 11:30 AM

I cannot imagine the 1978 to 1982 or the 1987 to 1991 teams having this O talent. It would have been video game comical. 1989 and 1990 D with this O would have been absurd. Now we are loaded on both sides, kids graduate and go to class, NCAA is nowhere near us sniffing, and Dabo and his staff top to bottom Id put up with anyone. It is about to get serious folks. I can smell it.

better than the 89 defense IMO...best overall unit I've

Dec 30, 2014, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Clemson defense in the late 70's to about 1990 was ]

seen in my 45 yrs. thank you Coach V...I love watching CU play defense..they play tough, disciplined, hard-nosed, physical, relentless football. Team speed is unreal. It often looks as if we have twice as many players as the opposing team. A-Hole Patrick even stated last night..."Clemson looks like they are playing 15 players on D....and might I add, they look pretty good in all orange!"...anyone else catch that comment?

i agree. He stole my Pops comment spoken in '88

Dec 30, 2014, 11:48 AM

Son, it looks like there are 15 Orange hats on the ball every play....this is the first year I have felt that again. Sick speed, toughness, relentlessness.

Re: for u youngsters who didnt see "Clemson Defense"

Dec 30, 2014, 11:26 AM

What has impressed me all year and especially last night is our excellance in the most basic of the fundamentals---tackling! Very much like the D's I remember from the good old days!

I havent seen our LBs and secondary tackle like that

Dec 30, 2014, 11:32 AM

As a UNIT/WHOLE since 1990, period. Also, best DL unit since then too.

absolutely! Just telling my boy the same thing last night

Dec 30, 2014, 11:42 AM

I went to all those bowls growing up. Was at the '89 game too. Told him about the D that we had back then and how now it seems like our D is back with that same fire and work ethic.

I remember Chester "the molester" sitting on my couch at school. It was a regular couch that 3 normal men would sit on and he took 1/2 of it up by himself. Great times.

I remember riding the CAT with TA and Wesley McFadden. I was friends with Shep and the rest of the good guys. Tim Jones was the only bad seed. Shep and Levon had to calm him down one night at TD's or he was going to kick my ### for no reason. this little white guy did not need that!

ahhh the memories

Dec 30, 2014, 11:55 AM

Ashley Sheppard is one of the most underrated Tiger LBs I ever saw. Overshadowed by Levon, Eddie Mac and that savage crew. I think they just drilled Major Harris and Jamelle Holieway again, lol. Tim Jones was a knucklehead....played against him in HS and he was an idiot. Never did much at Clemson and Hatfield and West started bringing in a lot of bad seeds and the slide started...

So true.***

Dec 30, 2014, 12:15 PM

This group may prove to be as good, but still the 89-90 D

Dec 30, 2014, 11:51 AM

was the deepest and most talented, there were guys who split time then who ended up in the league - that group was ridiculous -

Anyone to young to remember go research that group. And this group could end up being mentioned right along with that crowd.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

i have yelled that for years. 1981 D had about 4 who would

Dec 30, 2014, 11:59 AM

Have seen any PT in 1989/1990. Jeff Bryant, Fridge, The JUDGE, Terry Kinard. The rest of that 1989/1990 crew would have kept 1981s boys on the pine. It was absurdity watching them look like we had 15 on the field.

Were they ranked #1?

Dec 30, 2014, 12:00 PM [ in reply to This group may prove to be as good, but still the 89-90 D ]

I don't know how it could be any better than this year's. There aren't any weaknesses that I have seen, especially as of late with the secondary looking like the NE Patriots.

1990 was number 1 total defense in nation

Dec 30, 2014, 12:05 PM

The takeaways back then was the difference. Virtually every game LBs causing fumbles, DBs picking balls, TFLs off the charts, depth across the board. Last night and second half of this year looked like 1989/1990 all over again. If we get the picks and fumbles up all year we will arrived for another defensive era for the ages.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic