Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
football kwestion for gooroos
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

football kwestion for gooroos

Dec 4, 2014, 12:05 PM

The right side of SCU's defense.. Gallman and Scott pretty much impregnated that beast, then wiped off on the drapes.

were the right side of defenses that horrifically bad all season, or is this a good sign of things to come?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think it was that their personnel was terrible

Dec 4, 2014, 12:10 PM

I think it had to do with gap integrity/assignment football. In a 3-4 defense it's hard to get outside and contain. When our tackles are 4 yards downfield blocking their OLBs/safeties, bad things are going to happen to them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think it was that their personnel was terrible

Dec 4, 2014, 12:11 PM

that is more or less what I figured, they suck. Still, it was a thing of Beauty to watch.

I could get used to that***

Dec 4, 2014, 12:38 PM

looked like we saw something on tape and just kept going

Dec 4, 2014, 12:16 PM

back to it

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: looked like we saw something on tape and just kept going

Dec 4, 2014, 12:23 PM

knee braces aside..still watching it on tape myself. I feel bad for our hapless bowl victim.

Just my guess

Dec 4, 2014, 12:21 PM

DW's follow through on the fake and the threat to run caused just the slowdown that Scott needed to get the edge.

Exactly***

Dec 4, 2014, 12:25 PM

I'd like to think I know a lil bit but in the 3rd

Dec 4, 2014, 12:25 PM

period scars center and left fielder suqed. This is the start of the return of scar's program as we know it. No, their chance for the world cup just passed em by.

Re: football kwestion for gooroos

Dec 4, 2014, 12:27 PM

Dr. B, formerly of STS, had a great explanation about this on his blog (source: http://clempsonfootball.blogspot.com.br/2014/12/clemson-pushes-sc-to-6-6-and-chad.html?m=1):

Clemson's Jet Sweep Toss play was actually blocked differently than we usually do, and this new front scheme was integral in its success this weekend. Usually we'll pull the playside Guard/TE outside towards the play, or simply run a OZ/stretch scheme to block it. This time we changed that, and messed up the keys for their LBs. I didn't notice it live, but a coaching friend pointed it out, and now that I've rewatched the game I can see how lethal it was to them. The play works off our normal jet motion + Power O play, where the Guard pulls over to playside and the RB follows him. We run a jet motion to confuse the LB, but the Guard tells where the ball is going.

On the new play, we pull the playside Guard away from the play. As I've written numerous times before, the Linebacker's keys are the Guard/RB and ball. It forms a triangle read. If his main key is the Guard, he'll go where the Guard goes, because naturally the Guard would be blocking as a lead blocker for someone else, as in the Power O play we run often. So the playside LB, in this case often Skai Moore, is reading the Guard, and thinks "power O" when the Guard pulls towards the backside. The LB then flows over there towards him.

Clemson released the TE towards the playside in an Arc release, to take out the safety or OLB. The WR to that side simply blocks, I never noticed a crackback. The playside OT veer releases inside, leaving the DE unblocked. The OT then seals off the backside pursuit, which was often the LB trying to recover when he saw the ball not going behind the pulling Guard.

When the OT down blocks, the DE is supposed to follow the Block-down-step-down rule and squeeze the OT further inside. Theirs never did, and just stood there while Artavis Scott ran right by them. With the backside sealed and an arc block by the TE and a block by the WR, he went a long way.

Using this info, we should be able to run a killer jet sweep read option next year. Let's hope we take advantage of it.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic