Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My take on last years D......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

My take on last years D......

Aug 22, 2012, 7:33 PM

Look Clemson didn't forget how to play defense and I am so sick and tired of all the national pundits and Lamecocks out here talking about how bad our defense is or was or whatever. My take is very simple and logic and quite frankly just plain out common since, lets take a look at the 4 years prior to last season where Clemson's D ranked 9th in '07, 18th in '08, 20th in '09, 19th in '10 ( in total defense) and then the dreadful 71st D last year. Steele's defense was pretty much predicated on a pro style offense and never meant for a fast paced offense like that of Chad Morris. Clemson ran 1055 offensive plays last year and probably 1000 of them were snapped with 25 seconds left on the play clock which means your either going to score fast, go 3 and out fast or unfortunately turn the ball over fast. Steele did not condition the defense for that type of game speed. When Dabo took over from TB we lost out on a lot of recruits and I think we signed a class of 11 if I'm not mistaken, of those 11 signed I think 9 actually made it to the field or something like that the point being when you have a class that small it will hurt you for the next couple years depth wise especially when you have an offense that runs that many plays in a season and it doesn't present red-shirt opportunities you may otherwise have with the signage of a numerical bigger class. Take a look at the stats for Steele's first 2 years '09 and '10 where the defense ranked 20th and 19th respectively now look at the number of plays ran those same years '09-886, '10-865 much more manageable for a pro-style defense. What Dabo did was a great hire if you ask me and that was probably hiring the best spread offense defensive guy in the country, someone who knows what it takes to not only defend a spread offense but condition a defense whom's offense is as fast paced and who's offense to defense turn over is as quick as it gets. That is all just wanted to vent and throw a little numbers and opinions out there for my own gratification.....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My take on last years D......

Aug 22, 2012, 7:44 PM

I agree USuCkHater, most of last years problems were a product of what our offense was doing. That, however, is not an excuse for the numerable lapses and just plain putrid showings in several games. I still find it difficult to believe that VT scores 13 points in 8 quarters while allowing other less talented teams to run amuck! If Brent can change the tempo and get our defense in condition and position to make plays, I think we will have improvement but still not be all that good....Once again, I feel we will have to outscore most of our opponents and of course, we will :)

that and constantly being confused. often it was obvious we

Aug 22, 2012, 7:53 PM

were going to get gashed before the snap because guys were confused and out of place.

I agree, when you have 2 or 3 guys pointing to offensive

Aug 22, 2012, 7:59 PM

players and then throwing their hands up and jumping like they don't know who to cover, then there is going to be missed assignments and it is going to cause major problems eventually. Unfortunately it caught up to our Defense and hopefully that will improve this year. Cant wait till Sept. 1

Go Tigers!!!

Aug 22, 2012, 8:01 PM

Look fellas its like this, I was at a few games this past season and the USUCK game was one of them, I saw a team on the D side of the ball that would be looking back at the sideline and tellin each other to move etc etc, IMO we just looked confused and could not stop the zone read to save our lives.. I think the kids played hard but we just could not stop the zone read at all.. I think venables will have our backers playing down hill more and hitting mobile qbs in the mouth.. Thats what I hope anyway lol.. Go tigers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Defense of defense

Aug 22, 2012, 8:01 PM

I certainly hope you are right about Venables. Can you imagine this team with a good defense - unstoppable I would say - Rashard Hall without a limp is a great defensive back! I hurt for him last year trying to run down those opposing wideouta! Go TIGERS JUST WIN!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2012, 8:02 PM

Or Steele just had poor communication skills and ran a system that does not work well in college.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like Gene Simmons hair!!***

Aug 22, 2012, 8:09 PM

Have you ever heard of the enter button?***

Aug 22, 2012, 8:24 PM

excellent opinion***

Aug 22, 2012, 8:26 PM

You make a good point. It takes a different approach to

Aug 22, 2012, 9:25 PM

defense when we play our style of offense.

I think Steele's was made to stop an offense like VT, struggled mightily against an offense like WVU (duh) and GT.

Frankly, I think Steele would overthink in trying to stop GT.

I am optimistic about our new defense. I know we have talent on that side if they can just play, and not think too much.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2012, 9:34 PM

I agree 100%. I have stated many times about this with nothing ever changing. The main problem is that there are too many morons on this board that have no clue about football, but feel like their opinion counts. You, obvisouly have some sense about football. The sad part is tha he morons are the majority on this board and "will not" let your rational thinking last. They will call you a coot and call Crump for the ban hammer. Stay strong and voice your veiw points. It is a nice change to post on a thread with someone that uses commen sense. Great post man.

In addition...

Aug 22, 2012, 10:43 PM

There was a good article on the bored earlier that talked about the evolution of football and where the directions that new offensive play calling is starting to go. It basicly illustrated that the new offensive strategy is to combine pass and run plays. After the snap the QB has the option for a quick pass or a hand off, a dive or pull and throw a fade. The point is the other 10 guys on the offense run the same play regardless of what the QB decides. The idea is to design the play so that it relies on one defensive player to decide what to do. If he comes up for the run, you throw, if he drops back you hand off.

This allows for a faster paced offense since multiple plays are run out of the same set and less audibling at the line, the audible comes in the play. This style is being pioneered by Dana Holgerson. The Packers actually utilized it last year in there 15-1 regular season run. So there is evidence in two leagues where this style of run-pass option, fast paced play can defeat a standard defense.

How to attack this new style offense will become an increasingly difficult and wide spread problem as more and more teams move to the spread offense. How to combat it in my opinion is two fold.

1) The defense has to be fast paced.
- It has to move quickly to force the QB to make quick and possibly bad decisions. So it has to be conditioned to keep up. It has to be tough up front to prevent easy rushing yards and scrambling QBs.

2) The defense has to be disciplined.
- As we've seen many times with GT if one guy misses his assignment or is out of position it results in big yards. This new defense will require discipline, players knowing their jobs, where they need to be and executing. Also, they need to stick to their jobs and not try to cover two assignments.

I know it sounds like I'm just saying if the defense plays better it will stop this style of offense, but I honestly believe that for a defense to beat this kind of play calling it needs to be more instinctual playing and less stunts and blitz.

Re: In addition...

Aug 22, 2012, 10:46 PM

Good insight

Steele's defense couldn't handle a fast paced offense

Aug 23, 2012, 9:45 AM

period. He couldn't handle ours, Maryland's, and certainly not WVA's. What bothered me even more was his defense couldn't shut anyone down except VT. Furman ran all over us.

And the fact that our defensive players were totally lost, and not knowing what to do when the ball was snapped meant Steele didn't know either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USE YOUR ENTER KEY

Aug 23, 2012, 10:02 AM

Thank you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic