Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bama was ranked pre-season #1 after they
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Bama was ranked pre-season #1 after they

Jan 11, 2017, 10:30 AM

Won last years Nat'l Championship. As far as I recall, they lost quite a few folks from that team.

I thought it was just routine to rank the current champion #1 for next years pre-season. Why aren't we getting the same consideration? Am I just being paranoid about continued media bias towards our program and the ACC in general? Or, is it legit?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You can't replace a Heisman Win ... er ... Finalist"

Jan 11, 2017, 10:34 AM

Maybe because the AP reporters are like the Heisman voters ... Stupid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "You can't replace a Heisman Win ... er ... Finalist"

Jan 11, 2017, 10:54 AM

If Bama can do it with D and questionable offense then so can we, not that I question our offense, just saying some do. They questioned our defense for 2 years in a row and noted that we continued to get better each time. Some said we were out of it when we lost Tahj, Sammy, ect...but we weren't.

They know we have recruited well; what they are missing on is unlike previous times when we lost offensive players we are returning a bunch of guys on the offensive line (hoping Crowder stays), only for sure losing Jay.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama was ranked pre-season #1 after they

Jan 11, 2017, 10:34 AM

Because we are continuing to be disrespected.

This will just play into our hands even more IMO.

I don't see it as disrespect

Jan 11, 2017, 10:40 AM

Or at least not an appreciable disrespect.

We won this year with a mixture of great depth, young talent, and stellar players that are leaving.

We will be replacing one of the greatest college QB's to ever play the game, our defensive leader, a TE that has shown the ability to block and catch dang near everything thrown to him, a running back who has been one of the most productive backs in a spread offense, and yet another WR that is capable of making every catch and is never truly covered.

Make no mistake, it's not disrespect for folks to see that as a recipe for falling off a bit (or not being a consensus #1 going into the next year). Those are valid question marks, especially considering that our QB situation is crowded with talent, but no real experience to show the world the answers as of yet.

I think we'll be fine, but I do think we'll have some growing pains early next year. Our D will be fine and ferocious, and perhaps even more clutch, but we'll need to get our legs under us on offense. I think we'll do it, but I can't see it as disrespect when others don't see us clearly #1 going into next year witht hese question marks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't see it as disrespect

Jan 11, 2017, 10:50 AM

What he said...

Thom, please don't try to

Jan 11, 2017, 11:04 AM [ in reply to I don't see it as disrespect ]

talk any cents around the "anti-Clemson conspiracy" crowd.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I completely agree that the same courtesy was not applied

Jan 11, 2017, 10:35 AM

That's is the storyline they gave us preseason...that Bama finished number one therefore would start number one until they are knocked off.

A bunch of liars and hypocrites.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW factor... To a degree, it's legit. However, this team is

Jan 11, 2017, 10:35 AM

young and deep. We good. They'll understand by when it's time to talk Playoffs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guy couldn't even win the Heisman. and throws a lot of INTs

Jan 11, 2017, 10:38 AM

anyone else under center should be an improvement ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL!!!***

Jan 11, 2017, 10:57 AM

Photobucket

Jan 11, 2017, 10:36 AM

I don't know why so many are bent out of shape about this "way to early" poll. We could be ranked 15th for all I care. Just win and everything will take care of itself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2017, 10:38 AM

The worse the ranking the better. Takes a target off our back and we can play from behind again.

I think all we want from the media is....

Jan 11, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Bama was ranked pre-season #1 after they ]

...rational, logical, consistency and truth.

That's why we care...treat us and everyone else the same...without bias.

But by definition a poll is only opinion

Jan 11, 2017, 10:46 AM

And opinion is based on biases, especially when you are talking about games that won't be played for 8 months and teams which will look vastly different from now to then.

When Auburn won the title in 2010, then lost Cam, and they were ranked 23rd in the preseason AP poll the next year.

It's not abnormal for pollsters to highlight question marks from one year to the next

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But by definition a poll is only opinion

Jan 11, 2017, 10:52 AM

It can be argued that Cam was a 1 hit wonder though. Just showed up out of nowhere, brought Auburn up out of no where, then he left and they dropped off until 2013

Of course

Jan 11, 2017, 10:59 AM

And that would be why they were as low as they were in the next preseason poll.

But it doesn't change the fact that it's not standard practice to just put the previous champion as #1 in the next preseason poll. Pollsters are voting based on impressions, and the impression certainly is that we are losing A LOT of talent. If any other team was losing what we are losing then folks would be pointing out those question marks as well.

Like I said before, I think we'll be fine for the most part, but make no mistakes there ARE question marks.

Our offense is QB centric. Alabama's is not.

Jan 11, 2017, 10:43 AM

Given that we depend on our quarterback primarily getting the ball to our wide receivers to win and don't have a strong running game and we lose our quarterback and our running back with no idea who will replace them, that is a valid reason to assume we will take a step back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

everyone knew SEC Sucked and Bama is loaded w/ Talent+ Saban

Jan 11, 2017, 11:08 AM

nm

I think we have a lot of Tnetters

Jan 11, 2017, 11:26 AM

that sit in mom's basement peaking outside to see if the sky is falling...

We are not being disrespected by not being ranked #1. The fact that we are probably going to start 6-10 in most polls is a huge sign of respect, based on the talent we lost from the offensive side of ball. Until we get on the field and see what the offense can do without DW4, and what OC's can do without him, we don't deserve to be #1. As someone said earlier, Bama's entire offense is run based and they are returning all the cogs of that machine.

Let's face facts, we are going to take a step back next year. You can't expect to replace a once in a lifetime type player and not fall off...see Auburn. While I do think our defense will keep us in games, I truly expect to lose 2-3 games next year. I hope I am wrong but next year is a rebuild year and our schedule is pretty tough.

we had the best player, not the best overall team...

Jan 11, 2017, 11:36 AM

so the program still has some upside.

We are definitely not Bama-esque yet.

But we'll be Top 15 no doubt

and the schedule will tell us what kind of season we have.

I'd settle for 10-2, maybe lose to Va Tech (away) but beat Louisville (away) or FSU (home),

and putting down the Coots for the 4th straight time in Willy B.

#GoTigers!

Clemson won't lose to VT ... lost their only weapons to NFL

Jan 11, 2017, 11:41 AM

Draft ...

plus, their coach hasn't shown he can recruit at a high level.

Recruiting door in VA is wide open to other schools.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic